• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Alternative sub plots

dirty harry

First XV
As we hear up for round 3, I think it's safe to say we have all enjoyed at least elements of rounds 1 and 2, but also frustrated by elements too.

I'd like to start a thread about sub plots noone seems to be interested in

First up this week, Georgia v Portugal.

Georgia are going to determine who goes through in this group, beating Portugal gives them a boost going into Fiji. If they beat both they are playing Wales for a chance at qualification! I cannot wait for this game!!!

Secondly Argentia v Samoa.

This is Samoas RWC final, after Argentina were so poor, they may well be nervous. Samoa on the other hand cruised to victory, then watches Fiji stun Aus. Their tales will be up, this may make qualification real! With a declining Japan next time out too...

Finally Scotland v Tonga.

Tonga shell shocked by Ireland, this is them out with a loss here, alternatively Scotland MUST get TBP win to stay I'm contention. Both teams nerves may get the better of them.

I know the big 2 games are ire SA and Wal Aus this weekend, but I am looking forward to these 3, not headliners, but very very interesting, and leading into round 4 could make further sub plots as interesting as the headlining acts.

Yeah, as I've said I don't think Ireland vs Boks will impact on who reaches semis (although it is mildly fascinating).

Your first two should be great, Portugal can still have a say against Wallabies and Fiji in my opinion, they won't just roll over and concede 4 tries. If Samoa play as conservative and solid as they did against Ireland they can scare anyone in that group who does not perform.

However, Scotland vs Tonga could be a one-sided stomp. The Tongan coach is, not without justification, querying if 2x tests against the worst Canadian side in history was ideal RWC prep and Scotland are designed for 4 try BPs against packs that cannot dominate them.

Uruguay vs Italy is the biggest fixture for me this round in terms of Italian auto-qualification for 2027 being on the line and the potential for the Uruguayans to back up beating the Scottish u20s with something very special at senior level.

Tight affair Georgia portugal, enthralling game but Georgia really did blow it first half, and their lineout collapsed, which happened to Wales also v Portugal.

I think this is a bad result for Fiji, both will be gunning for that game now

Latest posts