• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Ireland vs France (Round 2)

Who will win?

• Ireland

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • France

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pape deserved a red, it was an awful behaviour.

Apart from the above, very enjoyable and entertaining match of rugby, 2 good teams neutralizing each other with a small advantage for Ireland, more clinical, more experienced than the french team. I love this irish team, they have all the ingredients. its up to them to use it right.

Last edited:
Yes but I don't think Zebo is an issue. I'd say Bowe has been exact same as him and simply guys are doing as per script
It was kind of my point to alter the script slightly... We need some line breaks to beat England, as the last two years show, and I think these changes would do that. I don't expect it and won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen but it's just what I'd do, I think the two mentioned are both better players than the starters anyway.

Suspected broken vertebrae, played for 10 minutes on it.

Tosser.

+1

Best game of the tournament so far, both teams came to life and the Irish hung in there at the end and managed to hold out a resurgent French team.
Great game for the neutrals (and the irish).
The French are showing they are better than their results over the last 6 months, and the Irish are showing it's not just hype, they are ready for the RWC and they ARE the real deal.
England vs Ireland is shaping up really nicely.

Firstly congrats Ireland, although it was not great, it was enough to win the game, must do better against England........... now France a bunch of one trick ponies and that trick not great, under the influence of PSA France have created nothing, yes they did score the only try but it was all brawn and beast, nothing constructive, and when i read this morning that PSA announced that France should have won that match, was he watching the same game as me!!!!!
Sexton did well especiallly after a couple of batterings from Basta beast, one could say he passed twice i think excellent!!!!! Lopez is far too deep and the Irish did not need to tackle him just drift and 3 against 1 when it arrives on the wing.
1st half the French heads left in the changing rooms, 2 nd half better but the game was nearly lost by then, Kockett back to Castres as quick as possible, Parrra far slicker in his distribution.
Ontonio and Debaty excellent but they are impact players who would not last more than 30 mins at that pace!!!!
Noboby is asking for Champagne rugby if it still exists, but to win today by bashing through the centres is just old and plain negative even Sexton stopped Basta Beast twice and he was the player being targeted, ingenious Mon PSA. ENOUGH SAID........... maybe we can beat Italy but on that showing i have my doubts.
At least i have wild boar for lunch and some good red wine and Montpellier have a game next Sat.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was kind of my point to alter the script slightly... We need some line breaks to beat England, as the last two years show, and I think these changes would do that. I don't expect it and won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen but it's just what I'd do, I think the two mentioned are both better players than the starters anyway.

Well that's fair but as you say I don't think Schmidt will alter anything. Especially against English.
FWIW Earls really put on a show at 13 last night too.

Last edited:
Well that's fair but as you say I don't think Schmidt will alter anything. Especially against English.
FWIW Earls really put on a show at 13 last night too.
4 years ago many would have probably thought Ireland would go to the World Cup with Earls and Fitz as starting wingers so of course both are moved to centre!

As as for the game, which I'm going to have to watch back as memory of yesterday is failing me... It was a very sound and relatively comfortable win, after Lopez missed that conversion it was easy to tell they wouldn't get over the line again. Sexton and co built the lead very well, the kick chase being the best in the world and the defence was incredible. The French lacked creativity and apart from Basta running at Sexton, leading with the head every time which was a bit rough, they showed very little structure. Lopez looked as if he was making it up as he went a long and did so quite well. Ultimately the better coached side won, there's no difference in the quality of players between the sides.

+1

Best game of the tournament so far, both teams came to life and the Irish hung in there at the end and managed to hold out a resurgent French team.
The French are showing they are better than their results over the last 6 months, and the Irish are showing it's not just hype, they are ready for the RWC and they ARE the real deal.

Is this a joke?
Literally nothing in this post is accurate

Is this a joke?
Literally nothing in this post is accurate
I wouldn't think so it's a bit eccentric but I'd argue it is accurate if you break it down.
+1

Best game - to watch? No but in terms of quality it was, two sides who made few mistakes while constantly nullifying the opposing team's attack. It also had the best individual performance of the tournament so far from Johnny Sexton and was the most physically demanding of the tournament.
Great game for neutrals - Depends what you like, similar to England Ireland last year but not quite at the same level. If accurate and structured rugby is your thing that would be your type of game.
France showing they're better than their results - player wise they are but for a team who always up their game vs Ireland it shows how much they struggle with their coach.
Ireland being the real deal - beating Wales, Argentina x2, Australia, South Africa and France x2 in 12 months would certainly suggest so, you can't really fluke those results even if the gameplan is ugly.
England v Ireland shaping up nicely - well yes, it could be a grand slam decider.

Strange gel to call him out on that post really, a lot worse has been posted in this thread alone!

I wouldn't think so it's a bit eccentric but I'd argue it is accurate if you break it down.

Best game - to watch? No but in terms of quality it was, two sides who made few mistakes while constantly nullifying the opposing team's attack. It also had the best individual performance of the tournament so far from Johnny Sexton and was the most physically demanding of the tournament.
Great game for neutrals - Depends what you like, similar to England Ireland last year but not quite at the same level. If accurate and structured rugby is your thing that would be your type of game.
France showing they're better than their results - player wise they are but for a team who always up their game vs Ireland it shows how much they struggle with their coach.
Ireland being the real deal - beating Wales, Argentina x2, Australia, South Africa and France x2 in 12 months would certainly suggest so, you can't really fluke those results even if the gameplan is ugly.
England v Ireland shaping up nicely - well yes, it could be a grand slam decider.

Strange gel to call him out on that post really, a lot worse has been posted in this thread alone!

I just find it exceptionally odd. Ok, maybe not everything was inaccurate but a lot of it.

-Firstly to clarify about Ireland: I fully think Ireland have looked seriously good for some time now under Schmidt and as I've said on other threads, are deserved tournament favourites. How this match in any way proved that Ireland are the real deal is completely beyond me. I think, as I've said elsewhere, you have 3 more gears to go up which is worrying as an England fan. BUT, last night, I felt you looked disjointed, were weak at the breakdown, an area you are typically very strong, getting turned over a lot. You haven't got your attacking game going at all yet, and you look like you need more ball carriers. You will come good, especially when players like Sean O'Brien are fully fit, with Healy starting again, and I think the last two games can be partly put down to extreme rustiness as well as a centre pairing needing to gel. My point is just that last night in no way proved anything, and like many posters have said, Ireland know they can and will improve a hell of a lot over that performance.

-France: they're still hopelessly disappointing. Yes, they had a spell of decent play in the final 20 but then again they've done this periodically under PSA. They beat Australia and England recently for example. But as Castaignede repeatedly said, France still looked badly organised and rudderless for most of the match, were wasteful, and played to a gameplan not suiting them. OVerall, France have limitless potential but I don't particularly think French fans will be taking that many positives away from yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong (I often am, to be fair!)

- The quality of the game? I don't know. Most people on this thread have commented on how dire it was for much of it. I agree about Sexton, and it's nice to see a team execute superbly a gameplan. But we didn't get any of the rugby we often get from these sides, only one try for example. It was a tactical arm wrestle, much more satisfying I imagine for an Irish fan than for any neutral. Best game of the tournament so far? England Wales was a proper test-match imo and had a lot of everything, but then again I'm not a neutral in making that judgement...

4 years ago many would have probably thought Ireland would go to the World Cup with Earls and Fitz as starting wingers so of course both are moved to centre!

As as for the game, which I'm going to have to watch back as memory of yesterday is failing me... It was a very sound and relatively comfortable win, after Lopez missed that conversion it was easy to tell they wouldn't get over the line again. Sexton and co built the lead very well, the kick chase being the best in the world and the defence was incredible. The French lacked creativity and apart from Basta running at Sexton, leading with the head every time which was a bit rough, they showed very little structure. Lopez looked as if he was making it up as he went a long and did so quite well. Ultimately the better coached side won, there's no difference in the quality of players between the sides.

In fairness having watched it back Basteraud did seem to be legal. But agreed regards starting Earls and Fitz I would agree both are good enought to start but genuinely don't know where I'd put them. I think all of Bowe, Zebo, Payne and Henshaw will all feel heat to keep spots. Not because they're poor or off form but that's how hot the competition is

I'm not exactly a neutral when it comes to Ireland (not a fan per se, but definite sympathiser) and I love to watch rugby for rugby's sake, but that was a horrible match to watch. Tastes vary, and none of the Irish lads will care too much cos they beat France and fair play, but it was dire as entertainment for most.

- The quality of the game? I don't know. Most people on this thread have commented on how dire it was for much of it. I agree about Sexton, and it's nice to see a team execute superbly a gameplan. But we didn't get any of the rugby we often get from these sides, only one try for example. It was a tactical arm wrestle, much more satisfying I imagine for an Irish fan than for any neutral. Best game of the tournament so far? England Wales was a proper test-match imo and had a lot of everything, but then again I'm not a neutral in making that judgement...
First two points, I agree on although I'm not sure if The Jones boy was talking explicitly about that game in terms of where France and Ireland are.

On this point, to use the old cliché it really was a game for the purists! England and Wales was more entertaining, expansive and played at a higher tempo but I think the unforced error count was probably significantly higher than yesterday's game. The difference in quality was, in my opinion, simply the error count and execution of a gameplan. Ugly but effective vs attractive but a little bit vulnerable. It doesn't really matter obviously and I think the highest quality match will be in Dublin in two weeks time.

On this point, to use the old cliché it really was a game for the purists!
I'd disagree with that. It was sloppy, a ton of errors, and the breakdown and scrum were a mess.

England vs Ireland last year is what I'd say was a game for purists: Two sides very evenly match knocking, high intensity and high skill levels. Wasn't a high scoring affair but it was enthralling.
There was no intensity yesterday (bar the last few minutes) and the skill levels were poor (bar Sexton's kicking game).

Last edited:
Hard to take Zebo out after today. Played excellently.

Really?

Obviously not based on the 5 or 6 times he didn't pass when it was the blindingly correct option. In fact, can you name an instance when did Zebo get the ball in the wide channels and actually pass it?

If JS hadn't named Jones on the bench, I'd have been screaming to get Earls or Fitz on.

I'd disagree with that. It was sloppy, a ton of errors, and the breakdown and scrum were a mess.

England vs Ireland is what I'd say was a game for purists: Two sides very evenly match knocking, high intensity and high skill levels. There was no intensity (bar the last few minutes) and the skill levels were poor yesterday (bar Sexton's kicking game)
Most the errors were forced due to the defences which were the main aspects of the game, unforced errors were few and far between the most glaring being Sexton's "pass" to Payne. Obviously it's completely subjective and I'm biased, both due to supporting Ireland and that I love nothing more than two out halves having to command the game against ferocious defence. But in my opinion the performance from Ireland yesterday was rugby that would win a team more games than England last week with both Wales and France being at the same level of having good players but a predictable, one dimensional, stale/poor coach. It means nothing though as both Ireland and England will up their games in two weeks.

Ireland have not been overly impressive so far but did what they had to do against France ! Roll on Ireland v England, will be a cracker !

Latest posts