• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Ireland vs France (Round 2)

Who will win?

• Ireland

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • France

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Ireland are winning this competition its going to be via a grand slam I think. I can't see them winning it on points difference. So far, I think England look the better side but on the other hand Ireland have a few gears to go up yet - that's my worry

The difference in pace from the base of the ruck between Parra and Kockott was incredibly marked.

If Ireland are winning this competition its going to be via a grand slam I think. I can't see them winning it on points difference. So far, I think England look the better side but on the other hand Ireland have a few gears to go up yet - that's my worry

Famous last words, but they've been struggling to get their running game going so long I'm beginning to doubt it's there with things as they currently are. Maybe the big forwards are the difference... maybe.

In any case, we've plenty of gears to up ourselves. It should be a great match, so it will be another snoozefest.

Last edited:
So when will we begin to see development in back play? We are the most blunt side to watch and the only way we seem to make ground is through the kick chase. Our midfield isn't commanding enough.

Scrappy and disjointed. What I'd have expected with the amount of guys coming back into the side. Predictable in the middle which was worrying, bringing in Luke Fitz at 13 could be an option. Hasn't really clicked yet this year unfortunately. 2 from 2 though, so I have few enough issues with them finding any way to win.

Will take the win. Let haters hate.

Happy with the win but absolutely lost the run of ourselves in the last 20 minutes. We should be scoring tries. It's getting a bit boring now. A game plan presumably it was (and it does win matches), but is this 'forcing teams into errors' really going to last? Other teams will surely catch on soon enough. Only had two proper opportunities in the whole game to score a try.
Joe Schmidt isn't a fan of contributing players to the rook and France turned over some ball as a result. It was better in the 2nd half but we can't do that against England.
Speaking of England, it will be tough. Ireland need to take advantage of a weak english defence, which we saw at times today. We need to score tries. I see England coming out with a different game plan than what we've seen so far, as our strong point is defence and they know that'll be hard to get past. (Irish defence is amazing, seriously). We need to exploit the inexperience of the English side. We beat England or we don't win the six nations. Simple as. A lot of work to do.
Improvement needed again.

Good points:
-Sexton in a league of his own. He is incredible.
-Good to see O'Brien playing almost 80 mins.
-Zebo did well today.
-Conor Murray outstanding again.

French player should have got a red for the knee on Jamie. He was lucky. Not looking good for him.

Encouraging display on France's part, we have to replicate these last 20 minutes full of energy, of incisive runs by both back and forwards. First time in a while I had seen France attack as a unit as we did in the last quarter of the game.
The team to field in 2 weeks:
1. Ben Arous - Debaty is probably at his best as an impact player, I like Ben Arous's profile
2. Kayser - more active in open play than Guirado, very industrious effort off the bench today
3. Atonio - as Kayser, brilliant 30 minutes today, deserves a start
4. Maestri - solid and consistant
5. Taofifénua - Papé is too much of a liability, only kept his place because of his experience and not performances
6. Dusautoir - inspiring display today, could be more dexterous ball in hand
7. Le Roux - the lesser-known key cog of France's forward play
8. Picamoles - if back, deserves a nod, Chouly hasn't been as influential as you want your n.8 to be, despite some decent performances
9. Parra - Job done by Kockott today but Parra quickens our game and he must start alongside club mate Lopez
10. Lopez - Contrasted performance today, imprecise goalkicking and missed a couple key passes
11. Thomas - if he's back
12. Fofana - spent much of the game on the wing, not much to do
13. Bastareaud - another impressive display, even passed the ball a couple of times
14. Huget - Elusive, often makes lateral runs, not much space allowed
15. Dulin - whether of not Spedding is fit in 2 weeks, he should, back in great form and Spedding's runs don't offer enough creativity and vista.
16. Debaty
17. Guirado
18. Slimani
19. Papé
20. Chouly
21. Kockott
22. Talès - play surprisingly well today, was asked to fill in at fullback and did the job brilliantly
23. Lamerat - Great 50 minutes today, an interesting alternative to Fofana (if his form doesn't improve)

Encouraging display on France's part, we have to replicate these last 20 minutes full of energy, of incisive runs by both back and forwards. First time in a while I had seen France attack as a unit as we did in the last quarter of the game.
The team to field in 2 weeks:
1. Ben Arous - Debaty is probably at his best as an impact player, I like Ben Arous's profile
2. Kayser - more active in open play than Guirado, very industrious effort off the bench today
3. Atonio - as Kayser, brilliant 30 minutes today, deserves a start
4. Maestri - solid and consistant
5. Taofifénua - Papé is too much of a liability, only kept his place because of his experience and not performances
6. Dusautoir - inspiring display today, could be more dexterous ball in hand
7. Le Roux - the lesser-known key cog of France's forward play
8. Picamoles - if back, deserves a nod, Chouly hasn't been as influential as you want your n.8 to be, despite some decent performances
9. Parra - Job done by Kockott today but Parra quickens our game and he must start alongside club mate Lopez
10. Lopez - Contrasted performance today, imprecise goalkicking and missed a couple key passes
11. Thomas - if he's back
12. Fofana - spent much of the game on the wing, not much to do
13. Bastareaud - another impressive display, even passed the ball a couple of times
14. Huget - Elusive, often makes lateral runs, not much space allowed
15. Dulin - whether of not Spedding is fit in 2 weeks, he should, back in great form and Spedding's runs don't offer enough creativity and vista.
16. Debaty
17. Guirado
18. Slimani
19. Papé
20. Chouly
21. Kockott
22. Talès - play surprisingly well today, was asked to fill in at fullback and did the job brilliantly
23. Lamerat - Great 50 minutes today, an interesting alternative to Fofana (if his form doesn't improve)

Things looking up for the french. Play like you did against us in the last 20 minutes against England and you'll beat them. ;)

As a neutral I miss Kidney so much. Ireland used to a joy to watch, but not consistent. Now is consistent but if you are not irish you just pray for them to lose. Most boring team in world rugby right now. Their success will not last long with that game plan. So sad to see three sides in NH with such a huge talent for running rugby (Ireland, Wales and France) playing like this.

As a neutral I miss Kidney so much. Ireland used to a joy to watch, but not consistent. Now is consistent but if you are not irish you just pray for them to lose. Most boring team in world rugby right now. Their success will not last long with that game plan. So sad to see three sides in NH with such a huge talent for running rugby (Ireland, Wales and France) playing like this.

Err, what?

You miss Kidney? Never heard that before. While I agree about the boringness of Irish rugby at the moment, it hasn't always been like this. The last two games have just been quite boring. Last six nations was a lot more exciting, but I think these game plans are needed against Italy and France. Time will tell, but for example, both games against Scotland and Wales last year were not boring. All Autumn internationals so far (2013 and 14) were not boring. I think, while it's boring now, it's showing versatility. I just hope it's not a permanent style.

What a load of rubbish. Watching that team under Kidney was the most boring, uninventive style of rugby possible. Schmidt is adapting the roles of each individual for each game, and it's working. True, for the neutral that wasn't too exciting - but did you even watch Ireland vs New Zealand? vs. Australia? vs. SA? vs. Italy last year? We've shown we can play some pretty top end stuff, but playing like that week in week out isn't going to work. Especially when you're up against Basteraud and Fofana in the centre.

Schmidt played it smart, and I disagree with your comment about them not lasting with the game plan. That is *exactly* what is going to keep us above the other NH teams.

What a load of rubbish. Watching that team under Kidney was the most boring, uninventive style of rugby possible. Schmidt is adapting the roles of each individual for each game, and it's working. True, for the neutral that wasn't too exciting - but did you even watch Ireland vs New Zealand? vs. Australia? vs. SA? vs. Italy last year? We've shown we can play some pretty top end stuff, but playing like that week in week out isn't going to work. Especially when you're up against Basteraud and Fofana in the centre.

Schmidt played it smart, and I disagree with your comment about them not lasting with the game plan. That is *exactly* what is going to keep us above the other NH teams.

hit the nail on the head. we cannot deny that the performances last week and today were boring but we can play exciting rugby which we have seen. we're winning games which is what counts. and teams are struggling to break our defence.

I get the impression that O'Driscoll is the lost piece to connect the half-backs with the back three. Many chances on my opinion went begging for Ireland where they were in a good position to score.
Similar situation for France as well.
I thought the game really lacked width and players were trying to get through a very packed midfield.

Is it me or is the French team quite different compared with teams from the last couple of years? I don't feel as familiar with this team compared to last year. Despite this the French front row replacement had a hugely profound impact.

A few changes for England I think, Ireland need to attack England so I would take Payne and Zebo out for Fitzgerald and Earls as a result. Anyway a win against France, that's no. 5 in my lifetime if I count correctly! Nice!!!

A few changes for England I think, Ireland need to attack England so I would take Payne and Zebo out for Fitzgerald and Earls as a result. Anyway a win against France, that's no. 5 in my lifetime if I count correctly! Nice!!!

Hard to take Zebo out after today. Played excellently.

France felt like a bunch of 16+ stone headless chickens at times. Watching Ireland I felt their was some structure and game plan. At times I felt the French didn't even know each others names, let alone their positions or what they were supposed to be doing. It was dangerous but it felt very disjointed and impulsive with no real sense of building towards something.

Hard to take Zebo out after today. Played excellently.

Sometimes a coach has to take out good performers because the unit as a whole doesn't offer enough.

Weird to pick out Zebo as a guy to change to a more attack minded team though, and regardless of my logic just there, I don't see Schmidt doing it. He will continue with a policy of no mistakes, wearisome as it is for most neutrals to watch.

just watched this on delay... blimey, that was, uhm.... not good.

Both teams were very one dimensional and predictable, with ireland just being absolutely excellent in their execution and France bein predictable because they don't know what they are doing.

Basteraud needs to go, he is just not an international centre - Lamerat is much better and has played a lot at 13, a midfield of him and Foana is classic French.

It makes me sad to see such a big nation playing so poorly.

Sometimes a coach has to take out good performers because the unit as a whole doesn't offer enough.

Weird to pick out Zebo as a guy to change to a more attack minded team though, and regardless of my logic just there, I don't see Schmidt doing it. He will continue with a policy of no mistakes, wearisome as it is for most neutrals to watch.

Yes but I don't think Zebo is an issue. I'd say Bowe has been exact same as him and simply guys are doing as per script

Latest posts