• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (08/08/2015)

A distinctly 2nd/3rd 15 Imo. Only player likely to start in the big games come WC is Scott Williams, possibly Cuthbert as well if he can rediscover some form and if Liam hasn't recovered in time.

Ken Owens is our likely starting hooker, with one of Baldwin or Hibbard on the bench (I'd go for Hibbs on the bench for the impact he brings).

From this squad I'd expect Ball, Tipuric and Phillips to make the bench for big games. Nicky Smith could force his way ahead of Paul James if he can prove himself. Hibbard is in a battle with Baldwin. Jarvis could be on the bench if Lee isn't fit, or if Francis doesn't step-up. Hook makes a good bench option given his versatility, but he's got to play himself onto the bench, as Gats has no problem shifting North into centre, and having a player like Amos on the bench who can cover wing/fullback.

So still plenty to play for for a lot of this match day squad. Hopefully it can lift them to produce a better performance than we're used to seeing from our second/third stringers.

I like the pack, although Jarvis is a bit of a meh player. I think they have the potential to go very well. Backline too has a lot of creative ability, always tough for a scratch backline to gel quickly though. Overall it does feel like a little glimpse into the future, which I find exciting!

To be fair they have had over 6 weeks together as a squad, lets hope they don't play like a Baa Baa style scratch back line, I think there are a few playing on Saturday that could surprise especially looking forward to the centre pairing also Walker and Amos.
If Spike and Hooky get a good platform to play off then I can see some of these giving Gats a massive headache in squad selection.

Team to face Wales on Saturday

15. Jones
14. Trimble
13. Earls
12. Cave
11. McFadden
10. Jackson
9. Reddan
8. Heaslip
7. TOD
6. Jordi Murphy
5. Ryan
4. Henderson
3. Ross
2. Strauss
1. McGrath

Subs:

16. Best
17. Kilcoyne
18. Bent
19. Touhy
20. Henry
21. Marmion
22. Madigan
23. Zebo

Team to face Wales on Saturday

15. Jones
14. Trimble
13. Earls
12. Cave
11. McFadden
10. Jackson
9. Reddan
8. Heaslip
7. TOD
6. Jordi Murphy
5. Ryan
4. Henderson
3. Ross
2. Strauss
1. McGrath

Subs:

16. Best
17. Kilcoyne
18. Bent
19. Touhy
20. Henry
21. Marmion
22. Madigan
23. Zebo

you beat me to it haha. fairly mixed team much like wales, should be a cracker

you beat me to it haha. fairly mixed team much like wales, should be a cracker

A load of the guys playing for Ireland have won Heineken cups with Leinster and most of the backs have played international rugby before and are pretty exciting . Im sure most of the Irish would feel pretty good about the backs, I really fear for Wales . Can't see anything but an Ireland win by a good few points tbh

Last edited:
A load of the guys playing for Ireland have won Heineken cups with Leinster and most of the backs have played senior rugby before and are pretty exciting . Im sure most of the Irish would feel pretty good about the backs, I really fear for Wales . Can't see anything but an Ireland win by a good few points tbh

i think most people are thinking ireland will win to be honest, but i honestly have no idea how this wales team will play together, individually some of the players we have selected are brilliant for their teams, we've just not seen this combination before. if they can play together well then we might come close to winning, i just worry about the front row getting strangled as irelands front row is much more experienced

i think most people are thinking ireland will win to be honest, but i honestly have no idea how this wales team will play together, individually some of the players we have selected are brilliant for their teams, we've just not seen this combination before. if they can play together well then we might come close to winning, i just worry about the front row getting strangled as irelands front row is much more experienced

I think we'll see a lot of mistakes from both teams. It's going to be a test of experience and decision making, which Ireland seem to have the edge on. Rob Howley (wales attack coach) said this morning "We haven't done much rugby, but we're looking forward to the game". Hits the nail on the head really.

I think we'll see a lot of mistakes from both teams. It's going to be a test of experience and decision making, which Ireland seem to have the edge on. Rob Howley (wales attack coach) said this morning "We haven't done much rugby, but we're looking forward to the game". Hits the nail on the head really.

yes it is a little worrying when your attack coach admits youve not done much rugby haha, at least the lads wont be tired after the game though? that counts for something right!? o_0

yes it is a little worrying when your attack coach admits youve not done much rugby haha, at least the lads wont be tired after the game though? that counts for something right!? o_0

Exactly haha! I wouldn't worry. I don't think we've done as much fitness as you guys have done so it will all balance out! Excited to see Walker out for you!

Exactly haha! I wouldn't worry. I don't think we've done as much fitness as you guys have done so it will all balance out! Excited to see Walker out for you!

its great he's been handed the opportunity, he's got crazy footwork. im excited to see amos at full back too, should be great on the counter-attack. its nice to actually enjoy a game neutrally, obviously i'll want us to win but its not the be all and end all if we dont, have to think about the long run. well thats what i'll keep telling myself

Sincerely hope not. IMO he's a much better 6 than he is lock. At 6 he brings serious dynamism to the game which I don't feel he replicates in the second row.

I've not doubt that Ireland need him in the second row but I would hope that he will continue at 6 for Ulster in the foreseeable future.

I agree with him being a 6, but realistically he's going to be a second row so it's about developing him there.

I don't disagree about comments of home being a good 6 but Ireland have enough depth there. His role at RWC will be covering lock and 6 from bench. After RWC he will be a lock.

It's going to be one of those province vs country things again. Ulster have much more need of him in the back row while Ireland have a greater need in the second row. Hopefully Ulster will continue to play him where they need him.

That's a pretty strong looking Irish squad, which I don't mind tbh. Ireland should win, but if Wales can push them close, or even sneak a win it'd be a big boost to the Wales squad.

Even if we only manage yo keep it within 20-30, as long as we get some good positives of of the game it won't be a disaster. The only way it would be a disaster would be if we get hammered. That could happen given the vast difference in experience, but hopefully there's enough quality in the Wales squad to prevent that from happening, even if they are young.

That's a pretty strong looking Irish squad, which I don't mind tbh. Ireland should win, but if Wales can push them close, or even sneak a win it'd be a big boost to the Wales squad.

Even if we only manage yo keep it within 20-30, as long as we get some good positives of of the game it won't be a disaster. The only way it would be a disaster would be if we get hammered. That could happen given the vast difference in experience, but hopefully there's enough quality in the Wales squad to prevent that from happening, even if they are young.

I think a sold out Millennium Studium will really help Wales on Saturday. We've a lot of experience on our team but also a lot of guys who haven't played in 2 years or more and who are just back from injury. Think we'll have an advantage in the scrum but Wales will have advantage in the backs.

Just Howley saying you've not done much rugby is a little odd

A load of the guys playing for Ireland have won Heineken cups with Leinster and most of the backs have played international rugby before and are pretty exciting . Im sure most of the Irish would feel pretty good about the backs, I really fear for Wales . Can't see anything but an Ireland win by a good few points tbh

If we get parity up front and yes it is a big IF, then I'd be confident of a win as these backs are a decent unit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes thats there's the rub the front 5 in fact, with a decent platform these backs will fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Eli is super quick.

Latest posts