• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: France vs. Ireland (11/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

France.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Ireland.png

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (11/10/2015, 16:45)
Pool D, Round 4

Referee: Nigel Owens
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

The big one.

I was always worried about this game and more so following yesterday's performance - hopefully that was just a one-match blip in Murray's form.

The set piece will decide this game, which makes me wonder whether Toner should be in but Henderson in the lineout has worked fine and we will need his engine going against this huge pack. The back row really need a big game and should target their 10 because at the moment Michalak is pulling the strings.

Key for Ireland is taking the lead and not chasing the game. If we can build a lead of 10+ points we are excellent at preventing the opposition coming back.

- - - Updated - - -

Excluding NZ of course :p

Im not going to let yesterdays performance dampen my spirits. A blip, surely, against a fired up do or die Italy. Very disappointing to watch, but all the same, not reflective of the actual performance capabilities of this squad.

I too think the set piece will decide this game. I would have Toner start and have Henderson come on later as an impact sub. Winning, and even better, stealing these line outs will be so crucial. As will a tight, efficient scrum. I think a similar style of play that we executed this year against France is what may be required. Discipline, patience and an exertion of extreme pressure on France. Force the errors, take the penalties. Keep the scoreboard slowly building and for the love of God keep Basteraud away from the ball. Keeping the lead will be so crucial, a nice drop goal to start the game wouldnt go astray...

I would much rather see Kearney as FB than Zebo. I think Earls and either Dave Kearney or Zebo on the wings. Sadly Bowe hasnt impressed me in a long long time :(

Still so undecided for this. Its so 50/50. I think we will edge it slightly, though that is probably just the hope within me. If were going to go by history, PSA France have never beaten Ireland... though as we all know we should never go by history!

France haven't managed to beat Ireland since a 2011 RWC warm-up game, although 2 draws straight after occurred, they've lost their last 2 to Ireland, I think Ireland will win this, 22 - 17. Considering tournament form, it will be really close, but I feel the French are prone to letting in too many soft tries.

Last edited:
A strange other part of me is almost ok with maybe losing this, and then playing and finally beating the ABs in the QFs...

Playing them, not improbable. Beating them, not bloody likely... but not impossible! Sending the ABs home in the QFs while beating them for the first time would probably be just as good as winning the whole thing to be honest.

i think the italy game was the kick in the arse the lads needed. They will be ready for france but it will be close no doubt

Ireland did not play that well yesterday v Italy and if the Italian lock had scored the try it could well have been another story, against France it will be hard physical game, probably controlled by both 10's. I personally do not think there is much between the 2 teams, France may have a very small advantage upfront but there is nothing in it. The backs are 50/50, so what is it down too? An interception the bounce of the ball or one player misses one tackle, all these could be enough to swing the game In fact it's now knock out rugby before the final pool game the loser gets The All Blacks and i don't think any or both want that. So 80 mins to see who will have an easier match into the semis, but Argentina are now no walkover, play badly against them and you will lose. The game itself may or may not be the greatest but the tension and pressure will be there so who keeps their heads in the right place, and gives little away in penalties could be looking at the Argentians in the quarters. France by a whisker, but then i would say that.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ireland did not play that well yesterday v Italy and if the Italian lock had scored the try it could well have been another story, against France it will be hard physical game, probably controlled by both 10's. I personally do not think there is much between the 2 teams, France may have a very small advantage upfront but there is nothing in it. The backs are 50/50, so what is it down too? An interception the bounce of the ball or one player misses one tackle, all these could be enough to swing the game In fact it's now knock out rugby before the final pool game the loser gets The All Blacks and i don't think any or both want that. So 80 mins to see who will have an easier match into the semis, but Argentina are now no walkover, play badly against them and you will lose. The game itself may or may not be the greatest but the tension and pressure will be there so who keeps their heads in the right place, and gives little away in penalties could be looking at the Argentians in the quarters. France by a whisker, but then i would say that.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're right - the set piece and discipline will decide the game.

Ireland can't afford to play like yesterday and give away so many penalties. Make sure we take points every time we're in the French half.

I feel the French pack is one of the strongest in the tournament and considering Italy had the edge in many of the scrums yesterday I just don't see Ireland being able to live with that. I also think without BOD's Magic they will struggle to breakdown a very strong French back-line. That being said France are always prone to losing their minds and may well be destined to take the All Black challenge in the QF, oh they do love to get in New Zealand's way.

My prediction is France 20 - Ireland 21 :mellow:

Now if Sexton is bullied by Bastareaud early in the game, France can win the day. ^^
France 21 - Ireland 20 :D

I think people don't give Italy the credit they deserve yesterday.
But here I expect the physicality to be a key area. But I've noticed we've been sloppy at the breakdown and France may target is there. The 2 10s will be the key to this game.

Schmidt has been planning for this game since he was announced as head coach, I honestly can't wait to see what set plays he's(hopefully) been holding back. Arrgh a fecking whole week left.

I feel the French pack is one of the strongest in the tournament and considering Italy had the edge in many of the scrums yesterday I just don't see Ireland being able to live with that. I also think without BOD's Magic they will struggle to breakdown a very strong French back-line. That being said France are always prone to losing their minds and may well be destined to take the All Black challenge in the QF, oh they do love to get in New Zealand's way.

As long as our defence holds up and we remain disciplined, I see us having a small advantage over Ireland. We scored a try over them and they didn't in our defeat at Dublin earlier this year, if we don't give Sexton too much ammunition and if our set piece remains solid we could go for close win in a closed game, something around 18-15.

A lot of these things could easily go wrong for us of course, they often have recently...

As long as our defence holds up and we remain disciplined, I see us having a small advantage over Ireland. We scored a try over them and they didn't in our defeat at Dublin earlier this year, if we don't give Sexton too much ammunition and if our set piece remains solid we could go for close win in a closed game, something around 18-15.

A lot of these things could easily go wrong for us of course, they often have recently...

This is true but how Freddie controls the game for ye will be key. The kicking game is vital too. I feel if Sexton pins ye in to the corners as well as Sexton then we will have the threat in lineout. But any loose kicks and I fear our tackling in a loose field is a potential issue against the French runners

Is it bad to be having butterflies about this game on a Tuesday?

I think people don't give Italy the credit they deserve yesterday.
But here I expect the physicality to be a key area. But I've noticed we've been sloppy at the breakdown and France may target is there. The 2 10s will be the key to this game.

Italy played really well.

I'm starting to get really f**ked off with the Irish press.

All this optimism is based on us winning 2 6N on points difference, usually with narrow wins over the other teams bar the whipping boys and managed to beat a poor SA team in the autumn. Crazy.

We are not the world beaters the press continually think we are. Our players aren't really all that great - if they were, they wouldn't need to wholly rely on prescribed moves to get past reasonable opposition, but could do it with heads up play. Indeed, even the prescribed moves didn't work on Sunday.

Can anyone really see that, very game, but also very limited Italian team giving the likes of NZ or Aus half the problems they gave us?

If we beat France, Argentina will most likely nonchalantly dismiss us. If we lose to France, NZ will put 30+ on us if they could be arsed.

Ooooo I'm looking forward to this one I hope they both play there A teams..

Latest posts