• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Italy (04/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Ireland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Italy.png

The Stadium, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London (04/10/2015, 16:45)
Pool D, Round 3

Referee: Jérôme Garcès
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

I think we will win this game quite easily and keeping injury-free will be key.

Want to see us be more clinical in attack. Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes feel Ireland make few linebreaks compared to other teams.

Would like to see a Fitz (12) and Henshaw (13) combo!

I'd Actually love to see Henshaw at 12, Cave 13, and Fitz on the wing...

R Kearney and Payne doubts...

Let's see if someone does a better job than Payne

payne is as good as we have, no one is better defensively or to drift across the line to defend. He is a good ball carrier and has crisp passing (and knows when to pass). People singling him out lately because a few journalists were nit picking at irelands last few games which they won easily. Payne and henshaw are as good a defensive centre unit as any at the moment. I dont think people realise how difficult a position centre is! especially at international level with someone like basteraud running at you.

Would prefer if both Payne and Rob were fit, but if they're not its not a total disaster. My preference would be for Luke to play at 12 with Henshaw outside him, but I'm not sure if that would be Joe's take on it, Cave is possible the better option given the quality of opposition. At fullback I reckon we can get away with Zebo at FB V Italy but I'd be a little uneasy with him there Vs France and beyond.

The way Ireland trained today was
McGrath
Best
Ross
Henderson
POC
Pom
Sob
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Fitz
Henshaw
Earls
Kearney
Kearney

Rob Kearney is back training fine and available.

R Kearney and Payne doubts...

Let's see if someone does a better job than Payne

Rob Kearney back 100% and Payne rated 60/40 but expected to be easily fit. Also it's confirmed by Mick Kearney that Ireland will put out their best available team.

Also every player except Payne trained fully.

The way Ireland trained today was
McGrath
Best
Ross
Henderson
POC
Pom
Sob
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Fitz
Henshaw
Earls
Kearney
Kearney

Rob Kearney is back training fine and available.

Ireland squad is looking nice and solid and tasty too! Starting to have a bit more faith in our ability to beat the Argies in the QF. Zebo isn't defensively solid enough to start or to bring on in a crunch situation, If we are more than 7 behind I would think about bringing him on but Dave Kearney is quick too and is a much better tackle. I think our scrum is fearsome with McGrath and Ross starting.

Rumours circulating in press Payne is on crutches and this is the same foot issue that hampered him earlier in year.

According to the Independent, Earls might be in centre instead of Payne?? Also potentially Zebo at fullback. Nothing concrete just speculation based on injuries and whos been training

Earls has no physicality and crumbles under pressure.... he's only looked good when facing poor opposition, and to be quite frank, even then he's made errors from sloppy play. He might have the attributes to be good at this level, but his weak mental strength is a big liability at this level, especially in the centre

Ye are all bang on lads. Earls shouldn't play or Zebo. They offer nothing and are massive liabilities.
And Jake for all he's done in RWC history your right it's scary how he's crumbled the whole time and constantly makes mistakes.
Guess Schmidt is like all rest in that he hasn't a clue and should we be looking elsewhere.
Matt O'Connor for Ireland.

Last edited:
Ye are all bang on lads. Earls shouldn't play or Zebo. They offer nothing and are massive liabilities.
And Jake for all he's done in RWC history your right it's scary how he's crumbled the whole time and constantly makes mistakes.
Guess Schmidt is like all rest in that he hasn't a clue and should we be looking elsewhere.
Matt O'Connor for Ireland. 
Wel...
Matt O...
Forum of opini...
Earls is a winger and there's better centre options. Zebo isn't as good as Kearney. I don't know what my approach should be here??!

Wel...
Matt O...
Forum of opini...
Earls is a winger and there's better centre options. Zebo isn't as good as Kearney. I don't know what my approach should be here??!

Did I say Earls was centre or Zebo better than Kearney??????

Uh Oh

I just dont think Earls has the mentality, I fully rate schmidt as a coach, he's great at getting the best out of players, and using their abilities to win, first and foremost.

I just am not a fan of Earls or Zebo, that's my personal preference, but the Irish team is such a strong unit as a team I can't see it making too much impact. I simply love the way Cave plays there, or Fitzgerald's pace, and I'd even consider swapping Earls & Fitz for the 13 & 11 shirts, but that's just my preference. It's why I enjoy debating here, envisioning what I'd like in my irish team and talking to other rugby enthusiasts lol

I take it munstermuffin that you are in fact a Munster man? I have no slight against Munster players though I do admit a slight bias towards my own province, but then who doesn't have that right?