• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] South Africa v Australia in Cape Town (27/09/2014)

Wallabies defense was huge. Just came apart there at the end. Burger was brilliant when he came on. Kuridrani was also superb. We were lucky at the end, but a good win none the less. Bring on the All Blacks.

Both teams were good in parts, Boks showed they had lots of resources. Don't think it'll be enough for the ABs, unless the ABs finally crack and give away a loss like Twickers 2012. But if they play their standard brand of Rugby, they'll beat the Boks. Maybe not by 10+ like last year, but they'll get them. The Boks were trailing almost the entire game until they finally, as usual, decided to really start playing later. Aussies cracked, let in a DP and a couple of tries in the blink of an eye. Disappointing if you were behind the Wallabies. All-Blacks won't make those mistakes, and the Boks better play with that intensity from the start against NZ if they are to have a chance at all.

Hougaard has not convinced me that he is quality scrum-half. Play was quite static even with his quick distribution. Bismark is out of form completely and should not be near playing side. Overall, quite interesting match.

Vermeulen injured is not good for us. Best player we have atm. Burger was a machine when he came on though. Meh.

Despite this, Aussie friends don't worry. You will easily win in Argentina, this is the last game of Fernandez Lobbe (vs ABs in La Plata), he should to return to Toulon. Then we are going to play against you without our best backrow: "Fernandez Lobbe-Matera-Leguizamon". :(

Wallabies defense was huge. Just came apart there at the end. Burger was brilliant when he came on. Kuridrani was also superb. We were lucky at the end, but a good win none the less. Bring on the All Blacks.

Yeah Wallabies defense was HUGE by 70 minutes

Is Newlands Stadium the national stadium of RSA Rugby Union? Could you tell me the size of pitch (width, length of field of play, length of ingoals)?

Happy with the win, obviously we still have some problems but I feel the Wallabies played smart.
Contrary to some of the above posters I thought Hougard was pretty good, the ball was slow at times but usually when the Wallabies were putting work into the breakdown to slow things down, he was certainly valiant in defense and provided flatter and smoother ball than Pienaar does, I really hope he can keep it up in 2011 I really thought he would be our long term solution to FdP's replacement but he's struggled a bit since then.

Pollard was a bit shaky especially defensively but I'm happy with him starting, he's certainly fearless and while his kicking game is a little temperamental at the moment his youth excuses that, I hope he has a fruitful Super Rugby next year. Lambie was surprisingly good, strong with ball in hand, some nice kicks out of hand and I'd say his passing game was probably better than Pollard but there is the big asterix next to his name about his kicking, we can't really have an international fly-half who slots 1/4 kicks, still I'd rather have the options at fly-half and any sort of consistency from him would be welcome.

Serfontein is looking good on attack but slipped a few tackles this week, although to be fair he was up against a rampant Kurindrani.

I thought some posters were hard on Willie, less errors today and he produced some nice passes with good vision, the Wallaby defense for the most part was rock solid, and we didn't get great go forward ball, the gaps just weren't there to be found, but he did his utmost, it's not like Folau set the world alight. I think it will do him some good for us to have other creative options so the focus isn't always on him to make things happen.

Or forwards were ok... Marcel worked like a beast, Vermulen was immense until he got taken off and Schalk looked good when he came on but no-one else really stepped up for me, especially in terms of ball carrying, we really didn't seem that effective.

Anyway it was an imperfect performance and the handling was bad at times but I'm happy with the win, the Wallabies did break down at the end and I'm still impressed with our ability to fight hard until the final whistle (although I would prefer a more solid performance for 80 minutes)!

I still don't think the Wallabies are a better side than us, and it will take me a lot more than these two games in the RC to convince me otherwise.

Is Newlands Stadium the national stadium of RSA Rugby Union? Could you tell me the size of pitch (width, length of field of play, length of ingoals)?
We don't have a national stadium, the big ones that we usually use for tests are Ellis Park, Loftus Versfeld, Newlands, Kings Park, Free State Stadium and Nelson Mandela Bay stadium and they basically just correspond to the biggest cities in South Africa.

HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

hahahahahahahaha

Wallabies fans, sorry, but that was hilarious!

Better fire Ewen! Must be the coach's fault!

**** this. Wish the leaguies played Union... I'm so over us underperforming.

Yeah, to be honest though this result does reflect just how poor our depth is and how annihilated the side has been by injuries... Given rugby is pretty well now the 4th ranked sport in Australia we still do ok, but we can't expect to match it with a side like the boks when 80% of our preferred starting line up plus several back ups are unavailable. The Kangaroos? Sure - they have just as many injuries leading up to the 4N as the Wobblies, but the side still looks insanely lethal. In Union that sort of depth is another 10-20 years from existing in Australia though (and would require stellar management at the ARU - an unlikely scenario).

But check this out - for the League 4N this is who is out of the Roos:

Justin Hodges (Broncos), Matt Gillett (Broncos), Brett Morris (Dragons), Josh Dugan (Dragons), Trent Merrin (Dragons), Will Hopoate (Eels), Andrew Fifita (Sharks), Michael Gordon (Sharks), Billy Slater (Storm), Dave Taylor (***ans), Brent Tate (Cowboys - career ending injury), Paul Gallen (ASADA ban), Darius Boyd (Knights), Luke Lewis (Sharks).

That's a pretty massive list of rep players out on a scale suffered by the Wallabies. But the side don't like any weaker, as you could still field a side that looked like this:

Cronk
Thurston
Morris (Brett)
Jennings
Hayne
Stewart
Inglis

Meanwhile, we could still field a forward pack of:

Thaiday
Smith
Scott
Bird
Tamou

That's a pretty ****ing awesome team and just shows how insane the depth is in League here. But when you put the same injury list on the Wallabies you just end up with a reasonably solid looking team that's more a Super Rugby standard one than a test one.

Better fire Ewen! Must be the coach's fault!

As one of the few Wallabies fans that defended Deans, I certainly appreciate this sentiment. Perhaps now Aussie rugby fans will better understand the actual place of the sport in our country and how ridiculous it is to expect us to be world beaters when the game has no money, players who come too often from private school backgrounds (i.e. soft) and two billion dollar behometh competitors that suck all the oxygen out of the public broadcasting times. Seriously, I was in Melbourne when the first bledisloe was on and I seriously struggled to find a pub with the game on... that's a problem.

Last edited:
What a test match!!

And looks like HM was right about the last 10-15 minutes. He has been saying this the whole year, that substitutions has to come up during the time to have an impact when the other team is tired.

And man, what a difference did those subs make! Schalk Burger, Cobus Reinach, and dare I say it, Pat Lambie.

I'm looking forward to the All Blacks clash now. As there is no way in us catching up to them in winning the Rugby Championship as they are ahead of us with 6 points and the maximum we could get is 5.

So there won't be a rush of tries like last year. We will play our normal game and grind out the win.

What a pleasure to have watched... the last 10 minutes. No, TBF we were applying the pressure throughout most of the match it's just the execution and urgency was there at the end in combination with Aus getting tired/unfocused or whatever.

Burger made a HUGE impact at his home ground! JdV also; I was hoping for an improved performance from him, our tight 5 and Hougaard specifically. Hougaard was better and one can't fault his commitment but Reinach just brings so much energy he can't be overlooked any more with FdP still out surely?

I was also pleasently surprised by Lambie. I always liked him on the bench considering his ability to cover 12 and 15 as well but, man did he bring his A game. I suppose some rest and hunger did him well.

Hope Vermeulen is well; I don't see the game against the ABs as a dead rubber...

Hope Vermeulen is well; I don't see the game against the ABs as a dead rubber...

Duane has a rib injury, and will in all likelihood be out for about a month. Unless it's just a bit of bruising... Even though it still hurts like a mother****er...

A game against the 2 top teams will never be a dead rubber!!

Eina.

So one year out from the RWC and a week away from facing the no.1 ranked team we are without;

3 Malherbe
5 PSdT
6 Louw
7 Alberts
8 Vermeulen
9 FdP
13 Fourie

All 1st choice players.. not to mention the many 2/3rd choice players out (Arno Botha, FvdM, Pienaar, F Steyn etc.)

Testament to our depth that we are still managing though I can't say some of those absentees aren't hugely missed; particularly FdP and Alberts.. and now Vermeulen. The good news is we are forced to look at our options. I for one am very excited to see Reinach specifically get 20/30 against NZ.

Eina.

So one year out from the RWC and a week away from facing the no.1 ranked team we are without;

3 Malherbe
5 PSdT
6 Louw
7 Alberts
8 Vermeulen
9 FdP
13 Fourie

All 1st choice players.. not to mention the many 2/3rd choice players out (Arno Botha, FvdM, Pienaar, F Steyn etc.)

Testament to our depth that we are still managing though I can't say some of those absentees aren't hugely missed; particularly FdP and Alberts.. and now Vermeulen. The good news is we are forced to look at our options. I for one am very excited to see Reinach specifically get 20/30 against NZ.

Me too! I'm just wondering how our loose trio might look if Duane is out?

Will we keep Mohoje? He did nothing wrong on the weekend, and made his tackles and cleared the rucks. Will Schalla start at 8 or will it be Whiteley?

Me too! I'm just wondering how our loose trio might look if Duane is out?

Will we keep Mohoje? He did nothing wrong on the weekend, and made his tackles and cleared the rucks. Will Schalla start at 8 or will it be Whiteley?

If it was me, i would play Schalk and Marcel with Whitely at 8. Mohoje had a good game, and he will feature for a long time still, but I want to see Whitely get a start now, and see if he can grab his chance and give it his all. He also adds some Pace. If we manage to beat the All Blacks with an entire second string of loose forwards, i will be mighty proud of the team.

I have just gotten over this game, words cannot describe. I thought we were doing alright then we got blown off the park.

That last 15 minutes was embarrassing, the boks totally owned us. I am an fan of Pollard but the game changed when Lambie came on, same goes for Burger who added power to an already powerful back row.

yes to the world's surprise, Burger was HUGE.

..huge burger..
post-109434-0-09673100-1408165483.jpg

yes to the world's surprise, Burger was HUGE.

..huge burger..
View attachment 3319

Burger was about this big on the weekend
Fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger.jpg

homer_drool_1.gif

QUIT IT !!!!!!!
And yeah Bur....Schalk was fkng good last weekend. Really stood out. S.A. have massive depth up front.

Latest posts