• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] New Zealand v South Africa in Wellington (13/09/2014)

Pollard? Bugger. I was hoping for Steyn. At least they stuck with Pienaar ;)

If there is a bigger gulf between coach opinion and fan opinion over a player in international rugby than Pienaar, then I'd like to see it.

Last edited:
Why is Bismarck not starting???

I know Strauss is a decent player, but...it's Bismarck!!

I'm a kiwi and he is one of my favourite players.
Not to mention he would walk into the starting spot in LITERALLY any team in the world.
I know if he was available to the ABs he would start and Coles would back up.

What did he get last week? 10 mins or something?? (I could have that wrong)

I still remember pienaar starting as a 19 y/o vs the brumbies in 2005 and scoring a magnificent solo try that ****ed up the brumbies season, the guy was such a raw talent but seemed to get messed around with what position to play.

Meyer was obviously way more ****** at Steyn for that rubbish kick than we thought. He is not even on the bench. That will teach him. Lol.

Why is Bismarck not starting???

I know Strauss is a decent player, but...it's Bismarck!!

I'm a kiwi and he is one of my favourite players.
Not to mention he would walk into the starting spot in LITERALLY any team in the world.
I know if he was available to the ABs he would start and Coles would back up.

What did he get last week? 10 mins or something?? (I could have that wrong)

It's purely rotational. I would also start the monster ahead of Strauss, but Strauss is also a great hooker.

So just one change to the Bok 23 that played against Australia. HM sure has faith in his team, when many doesn't.

I hear that they predict another wet game for the weekend...

http://www.allblacks.com/News/25907/springboks-named-for-all-blacks-test-in-wellington

Springboks side:

15 Willie le Roux - 18 Tests, 35 points
14 Cornal Hendricks - 6 Tests, 20 points
13 Jan Serfontein - 13 Tests, 5 points
12 Jean de Villiers (captain) - 99 Tests, 125 points
11 Bryan Habana - 100 Tests, 280 points
10 Handre Pollard - 3 Tests, 29 points
9 Ruan Pienaar - 79 Tests, 135 points
8 Duane Vermeulen - 22 Tests, 10 points
7 Marcell Coetzee - 19 Tests, 20 points
6 Francois Louw - 33 Tests, 25 points
5 Victor Matfield (vice-captain) - 114 Tests, 35 points
4 Eben Etzebeth - 26 Tests, 0 points
3 Jannie du Plessis - 57 Tests, 5 points
2 Adriaan Strauss - 37 Tests, 25 points
1 Tendai Mtawarira - 58 Tests, 10 points

Replacements:

16 Bismarck du Plessis - 63 Tests, 45 points
17 Trevor Nyakane - 6 Tests, 5 points
18 Marcel van der Merwe - 2 Tests, 0 points
19 Lood de Jager - 6 Tests, 10 points
20 Warren Whiteley - 1 Test, 0 points
21 Francois Hougaard - 29 Tests, 20 points
22 Pat Lambie - 33 Tests, 68 points
23 Damian de Allende - 2 Tests, 0 points

Besides Pienaar still in the starting XV, I think starting Pollard is a big mistake. Sure he might be the future at being a Springbok 10 but you cant just throw him in the deep end and tell him to swim. Personally I think he should first play a few more SupeRugby games before being called up(Giving him a Jersey just after one season of Super Rugby is ridiculous.) Look at what happened to Johan Goosen's career after he was also just thrown in the deep end and told to sink or swim. With that said, Morne Steyn is clearly not the answer. Pat Lambie should be starting this game im sorry, he's been on the bench for how long now? Even getting overtaken by Handre Pollard is a ****ty call. I feel now the AB's winning Margin has increased dramatically 20+.

Besides Pienaar still in the starting XV, I think starting Pollard is a big mistake. Sure he might be the future at being a Springbok 10 but you cant just throw him in the deep end and tell him to swim. Personally I think he should first play a few more SupeRugby games before being called up(Giving him a Jersey just after one season of Super Rugby is ridiculous.) Look at what happened to Johan Goosen's career after he was also just thrown in the deep end and told to sink or swim. With that said, Morne Steyn is clearly not the answer. Pat Lambie should be starting this game im sorry, he's been on the bench for how long now? Even getting overtaken by Handre Pollard is a ****ty call. I feel now the AB's winning Margin has increased dramatically 20+.

Wut??

Throwing him into the deep end is the best way to test him!!

It's not like he's making his debut this weekend. Lambie might be your best choice (probably because you're a Sharks fan and have always talked up the Sharks players), but Pollard is mine (Bulls favouritism). One thing we will agree on is that both of them are better than Steyn.

if NZ win this weekend and AUS beat Arg, then AUS move into 2nd spot on the IRB Rankings...

i see lambie is on the bench...

Springboks: Willie le Roux; Cornal Hendricks, Jan Serfontein, Jean de Villiers (captain), Bryan Habana; Handre Pollard, Ruan Pienaar; Duane Vermeulen, Marcell Coetzee, Francois Louw; Victor Matfield, Eben Etzebeth; Jannie du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss, Tendai Mtawarira. Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Trevor Nyakane, Marcel van der Merwe, Lood de Jager, Warren Whiteley, Francois Hougaard, Pat Lambie, Damian de Allende.
Read more at http://www.espnscrum.com/the-rugby-championship-2014/rugby/story/240595.html#ofJMZWubYa4qIeL8.99

Last edited:
yeah but Pollard to start...in NZ ? He's 20 and has 3 caps..maybe Pat Lambie was a better solution here ? I know he's been criticized for his recent form in SR, but still. Dude's played some tests before..

yeah but Pollard to start...in NZ ? He's 20 and has 3 caps..maybe Pat Lambie was a better solution here ? I know he's been criticized for his recent form in SR, but still. Dude's played some tests before..

Yeah true. But then again Pollard had a great run in NZ with the Junior Springboks earlier in the year, so maybe he's more used to the conditions...

How to beat the All Blacks:
1. First time tackling
2. Off load in the tackle
3. Run into gaps, run into space
4. Be unpredictable on the attack
5. Win the collisions
6. Win the breakdown contest
7. Dominate the lineout
8. Dominate the scrum
9. Fly half must kick very accurately and kick everything over
10. Ref must not make a mistake
11. STOP KICKING POSSESSION AWAY!!

Sounds very easy, doesn't it

Wut??

Throwing him into the deep end is the best way to test him!!

It's not like he's making his debut this weekend. Lambie might be your best choice (probably because you're a Sharks fan and have always talked up the Sharks players), but Pollard is mine (Bulls favouritism). One thing we will agree on is that both of them are better than Steyn.
That worked well for Gaffie...

All Blacks team named:

1 Wyat Crockett
2 Dane Coles
3 Owen Franks
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Jeremy Trush
6 Steven Luatua
7 Richie McCaw (c)
8 Kieran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Aaron Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Ben Smith
15 Israel Dagg.

Reserves:

16-Keven Mealamu, 17-Joe Moody, 19-Patrick Tuipulotu, 20-Sam Cane, 21-TJ Perenara, 22-Beauden Barrett, 23-Cory Jane

Latest posts