• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders v Chiefs (Round 2)

Lets see how he does at full back As the season progresses .Israel Dagg has dropped off a bit . It could be an opportunity to stake a claim for the all blacks.

I don't think we will see a lot of Nanai-Williams at fullback this season. The Chiefs have an abundance of fullback options, and Nanai-Williams is probably one of the Chiefs first choice wings (alongside Tikoirotimu). New Zealand has plenty of depth at fullback in any case if the AB's selectors wanted to replace Dagg (which they should, but won't) - Ben Smith would be the obvious choice, Piutau has proven himself at test level too, while Barrett and Jane are also quality fullback options....

A few more thoughts on the game itself:
- The Crusaders outside backs as a whole were poor. Dagg was ineffeective with ball in hand, though his positioning and kicking in general play was pretty good. McNicholl looked like he was trying to do too much, and ended up having a shocker. Tuitavake was played pretty well though, and started to look dangerous at times in the second half with his direct running.
- Crotty and Lee Lo played pretty well. They are not the most creative combination, but both run hard and straight (Lee-Lo in particular) and their defense was solid.
- Bleyendaal had a shocker with the boot, but did take the ball to the line well at times (though probably ran a bit too much). Taylor didn't add as much as I was hoping, and I still think he is better at 12. Ellis was pretty quiet, but I thought Heinz added a bit when he came on.
- The Crusaders loose-forwards as a unit didn't impress. McCaw and George Whitelock had solid, if unspectacular games. Luke Whitelock played a much wider game than I have seen him play - obviously he has been taking a few tips from Read. He made a couple of good runs, but his his handling let him down a couple of times. I still think the Crusaders would be better with Taufua at 8 when Read is out, as he could give them the go-forward ball they are lacking. Matt Todd looked very sharp when he came on - perhaps we should see 6. McCaw, 7. Todd next week?
- Sam Whitelock was very good, and Romano made a good impact from the bench. I was disappointed with Bird though, who got himself penalised a few too many times, and made a few handling errors. The front-row in general did their job.
- Muliaina didn't have a lot to do, but looked solid at the back. likewise both wings didn't get a lot of ball, but didn't make any mistakes.
- Fruean made one great run and some good hits on defense, but otherwise was pretty quiet. The Chiefs didn't have much ball though so their wasn't really much for him to do on attack. Ngatai was solid as always.
- Cruden looked sharp, especially in the 2nd half. His tackling was a real feature too - according to scrum.com stats he made the most tackles of any player (13) and didn't miss and single one. Pulu played pretty well - he got caught a couple of times behind the advantage line, but used his strength well to get back past the advantage line.
- The Chiefs loosies all had solid games, but none really stood out to me.
- The tight-five all played well in general play, but struggled in the set pieces (especially in the 1st half)

Super Rugby 2014: Crusaders vs Chiefs [Highlights]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pleased to see Sam whitelock score his try from the all blacks perspective. Which Southern Hemisphere locks would have the belief to do that?

Good game, the TV here showed the game just two hours ago. I liked the 2 teams, Crusaders need a better kicker:

140221110631546600.jpg

140221110650178809.jpg

140221110707890106.jpg

140221110722960018.jpg

140221110739709763.jpg

140221110756212397.jpg

140221110816588219.jpg

140221110855703195.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Wow, Crusaders will be kicking themselves after that. Bleyendaal will be having nightmares.

The Chiefs, on the other hand, will be ecstatic. It's speaks volumes that a team was able to head to Christchurch and beat the Crusaders with only 34% possession and 29% territory whilst making twice as many tackles.

Result aside though, there's a lot for the Chiefs to work on.

The scrum was a bit shaky, though it came right part way through the game. I'm still not sure about Mackintosh, he didn't have a particularly great game in any facet. Tameifuna doesn't offer much when the Chiefs aren't on attack, and he's obviously a walking penalty machine. I'm hoping Afeaki is fit for next week, though I still think we'll see Tameifuna starting. Manu is good around the field but concedes a heck of a lot of penalties at scrum time, even if it does look sturdy with him on. Marshall had an average game. Like the scrums the lineouts were shaky to start with, though I think that's down to being a bit ambitious with the lineouts too early on. Simple lineouts win games. The same could be said from scrums. I don't know why, but the Chiefs insist on keeping the ball at the back of the scrum even when it's available, and 90% of the time this ends up hindering the team.

Kolomatagi didn't offer much, but in saying that he wasn't embarrassed. Latimer will hopefully be back next week. I'm not sure if Thompson will be fit, if he isn't then I'd like to see Squire starting at 8, if Latimer is playing. Otherwise I can imagine we'll see Crosswell in the loosies.

Pulu is not a starting halfback, he is great when the defence is tired because it gives him a lot of space to move from the base or the ruck. When teams are targeting him, however, he doesn't deal with it particularly well. I don't know what the issue is with TKB, hopefully he only has a minor injury. Cruden was industrious at first five, his only real blemish being that he didn't score that try, which I think he would've if he hadn't tried to goose step McNicholl, as well as missing touch from one penalty. It looks like he's goal kicking well though, which is great to see.

Ngatai and Fruean performed very well in the centres, particularly on defence. I'd like to see Horrell starting at 12, however, because I think his distribution skills will give Fruean a lot of time and space on attack - which, as he reminded us last night, is all he really needs to fire.

It was good seeing Muliaina back, pity he went off with what looks like an elbow injury. I think Nanai-Williams moved to fullback when Muliaina left the field, and he didn't do anything wrong (in fact he looked absolutely dangerous on attack). This side can't really afford many injuries, it will be very interesting to see who's available next week. Lowe quite possibly saved two tries with intercepts, and of course he had enough pace to score one of his own. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Next week, I think(/hope) we'll see a team along the lines of: Nanai-Williams, Lowe, Fruean, Horrell, Tikoirotuma, Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Ngatai, Lienert-Brown, Pulu, Crosswell, Symons, Afeaki, Mackintosh, Harris.

It was good seeing Muliaina back, pity he went off with what looks like an elbow injury. I think Nanai-Williams moved to fullback when Muliaina left the field, and he didn't do anything wrong (in fact he looked absolutely dangerous on attack). This side can't really afford many injuries, it will be very interesting to see who's available next week. Lowe quite possibly saved two tries with intercepts, and of course he had enough pace to score one of his own. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him this season.

Next week, I think(/hope) we'll see a team along the lines of: Nanai-Williams, Lowe, Fruean, Horrell, Tikoirotuma, Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Manu. Reserves: Ngatai, Lienert-Brown, Pulu, Crosswell, Symons, Afeaki, Mackintosh, Harris.

I've always thought Nanai-Williams is wasted anywhere but fullback. He's one of those guys who doesn't seem to hit full speed without a decent runup and has a great eye for the gap. I think his defense isn't bad either and he's good under the high ball. If he gets a bit of time there (which is tough with Muliaina and Robinson both very capable players) I'd love to see how he goes for a season and I think in many ways he's a more exciting version of Israel Dagg - without the punt but with a better attacking game.

I've always thought Nanai-Williams is wasted anywhere but fullback. He's one of those guys who doesn't seem to hit full speed without a decent runup and has a great eye for the gap. I think his defense isn't bad either and he's good under the high ball. If he gets a bit of time there (which is tough with Muliaina and Robinson both very capable players) I'd love to see how he goes for a season and I think in many ways he's a more exciting version of Israel Dagg - without the punt but with a better attacking game.

I'm certainly not opposed to having him at fullback, but if given the option I'd probably prefer TNW on the wing and Marshall, for example, at fullback than vice versa.

Good game and well done to the Chiefs
Freuen looked hungry and monstrous on attack
Pity the Crusaders crowd is also becoming a booing ground

Haha, Fruean is at his highest fitness level he has ever been since the last four years. That solo "Jonah Lomu mode" solo try was brilliant. Excellent to see him at full fitness.

It sounds like Muliaina will be out for a wee while, and Thompson could be too.

Afeaki and Retallick are both touch and go - whether or not they play this weekend will all simply depend on whether or not they can pass the concussion tests throughout the week.

Latimer could be available this weekend, but more realistically won't be selected until after the bye. Cane will also likely be available for the match against the Stormers, in three weeks.

Chiefs are going to be very unsettled for some time with players coming and going due to injury.

Mills one is a shame he genuinely looked good before he went off. impeccable positional play, defense and a couple good kicks and the couple of times he touched the ball he looked good but word is he is going in for more surgery on an elbow problem. on the positive Sode Lowe looked simply fantastic - looks like he will become another brilliant signing.

Chiefs really missed Toby Smith, I know I harp on about it but this was a huge miss for the NZRU. As much as I like Mackintosh he has generally always been fairly weak come scrum time. Hes a good man Jamie but hes half the prop Toby Smith is. I want to believe moving to the chiefs will help Jamie's Scrum ability but its a long shot. Still early I guess fingers crossed.

Chiefs need to somehow pickup from this game and pull a team together for next week and then enjoy the ideally timed bye and hope for some reinforcements after that.

After a bit of a think (and possibly a quick flip of the coin) I'm going to side with the Chiefs in this game.

It really is hard to pick as we don't have any real current form to go on, so for me it comes down to which team I think will be better prepared. I give the coaching battle hands down to Rennie and co and that for me is enough to side with the Chiefs. I generally think the matchups are about even although I like the fact that Chiefs are arguably a bit more of a cohesive unit with more time playing together and a few combinations which might be a bit tighter than the Crusaders (I've always felt that having so many ABs in and out of the Crusaders team has been a major hurdle for them to overcome and they have often failed at getting things together consistently in the last few seasons).

The two key positions I am a bit nervous about for the Chiefs is hooker and half back. I loved Pulu n the ITM cup but I am not convinced (yet) that he will step up in a consistent and in a commanding way at Super Rugby level. If he has a bad game and is pressured too much the Chiefs will struggle although TKB is on the bench if they need to bring him on early it may well already be too late. I have yet to see much of Marshall but what I have seen of him made me a little concerned about his accuracy in the line outs (can some one confirm how good he is there??). Set piece will be key in this game so if he struggles then again that might be enough for the Crusaders gain an edge which is enough to get the win. In saying that, with the big locks the Chiefs have got, and Messam in there too, Marshall should be OK. Love the Chiefs backline, hopefing they can get the best out of Fruean who should be pumped for a big game against his old team! Cruden may well be the difference in the backs so I'll go with the Chiefs by 4!!

Havent seen the game yet but saw the highlights. Man it was funny seeing Fruean running over half the Crusaders team. Well done Chiefs. As I thought, they were simply better prepared and excused better when they needed to.

Latest posts