• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Crusaders v Chiefs (Round 2)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Super_Rugby_LOGO.jpg

Round 2 - Christchurch
AMI Stadium
Friday 21/02/14 at 7:35PM

2014crusaders_front-350x350.png
Versus%20Super.png
2014chiefs_front-350x350.png

[TABLE="width: 300, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: right"]|-----Crusaders[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Chiefs---------|[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Perry[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Mackintosh[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Flynn[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Marshall[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Franks[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Tameifuna[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Whitelock[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Fitzgerald[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Bird[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Retallick[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Messam[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]McCaw[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Kolomatangi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Thompson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Ellis[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Pulu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Bleyendaal[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Cruden[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Tuitavake[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Tikoirotuma[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Crotty[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Ngatai[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Lee-Lo[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Fruean[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]McNicholl[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Nanai-Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Dagg[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Muliaina[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Funnell[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Harris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Crockett[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Manu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Laulala[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Afeaki[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Romano[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Symons[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Todd[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Crosswell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Heinz[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Kerr-Barlow[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Taylor[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Horrell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]Thompson[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]Lowe[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to this game - it will be an absolute cracker to start off the New Zealand season.

The Chiefs have quite a few injuries at the moment. The biggest concern is that both Sam Cane and Tanerau Latimer are injured which means that Tevita Kolomatangi, the uncapped flanker from Tasman, will be facing off against one of Richie McCaw or Matt Todd (or possibly both!)

Likewise the midfield pairing is anyone's guess, Aki is out until April whilst Horrell and Ngatai are both unlikely to make this first match of the season - hopefully one's available! Lowe is also not guaranteed to be fit.

I'm anticipating a Chiefs squad along the lines of:

1 Manu
2 Marshall
3 Tameifuna
4 Retallick
5 Fitzgerald
6 Messam
7 Kolomatangi
8 Thompson
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Tikoirotuma
12 Horrell/Ngatai
13 Fruean
14 Lowe
15 Nanai-Williams
16 Harris
17 Mackintosh
18 Afeaki
19 Symons
20 Crosswell
21 Pulu
22 Lienert-Brown
23 Muliaina

Last edited:
yeah some good news and bad news for chiefs.

Obviously Latimer and Cane out is the bad news, cane out for 8 weeks after injuring both knee and ankle.

Good news is reports Fruen seems to have a new lease on life with his new larger heart valve, and TNW looks like a monster and has obviously been hitting the gym. could not to running work post operations so has been hitting the weights, it may mean hes more suited to mid field now than fullback.

Chiefs lineup is hard to predict I think Renee has a habit of picking early season sides that defy logic initially because he keeps a close eye on hoe players track preseason and rewards those that have worked hard and thats not always easy to see from the outside.

Hooker is obviously going to be a big area of interest with Hika out long term and Mo overcoming what seems like a perpetual state of injury.

With the two big name opensides out it will be interesting to see if they start the new guy or opt for the likes of Croswell or Messam to fill in.

Going to be strange seeing mackintosh & Fruen in chiefs gear. Going to warm the heart to see Mills back :)

yeah some good news and bad news for chiefs.

Obviously Latimer and Cane out is the bad news, cane out for 8 weeks after injuring both knee and ankle.

Where'd you hear that? All the reports I've seen have him out for four weeks at the most.

Where'd you hear that? All the reports I've seen have him out for four weeks at the most.

saw it on 6pm news last night I thought they said 8 weeks. it looked pretty nasty. Cruches, a knee brace and bandages, i also think they said something about it being worse than they first thought.

reports can be misleading but it didn't look like he was going to be playing any time soon.

Reports had TNW trainining at fullback with so many injuries. Frankly I love that as I think that's very much his best position.

Crusaders squad named: Israel Dagg, Johnny McNicholl, Rey Lee-Lo, Ryan Crotty (vice captain), Nafi Tuitavake, Tyler Bleyendaal, Andy Ellis, Luke Whitelock, Richie McCaw (captain), George Whitelock, Dominic Bird, Samuel Whitelock, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Tim Perry. Substitutes: Ben Funnell, Wyatt Crockett, Nepo Laulala, Luke Romano, Matt Todd, Willi Heinz, Tom Taylor, Rob Thompson.

Slade has a calf injury so wasn't considered. Curiously Taylor isn't starting, so Lee-Lo gets his first game for the Crusaders, likewise Guildford doesn't even make the 23 with WTG members Tuitavake and Thompson preferred.

I think this is a relatively weak Crusaders side, which is great considering how many injuries the Chiefs have.

I think its a good looking side, Bird and tuitavake preferred because they looked better in preseason form, McNicholl coming off a hat trick. will be good to see him this season hopefully injury free

And the Chiefs have also named their 23: Muliaina, Nanai-Williams, Fruean, Ngatai, Tikoirotuma, Cruden, Pulu, Thompson, Kolomatangi, Messam, Retallick, Fitzgerald, Tameifuna, Marshall, Mackintosh. Substitutes: Harris, Manu, Afeaki, Symons/Squire, Crosswell, Kerr-Barlow, Horrell/Lienert-Brown, Lowe.

That's a pretty good squad all things considering. It looks like at least Ngatai is fit, and potentially Horrell too. Great to see Muliaina back in Chiefs colours, and Mackintosh and Fruean get to make their debuts for the Chiefs. Meanwhile Kolomatangi, Harris, Symons/Squire and Lowe will all be making their Super Rugby debuts.

The Crusaders have a big advantage when it comes to the bench, so if the Chiefs want to win this one they'll have to be up by ~7 points or more come the last 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I wonder what trouble Zachy boy has got himself into now? I know he is not everyone's favourite player, but I find it hard to believe his non-selection is purely down to pre-season form (especially as Blackadder has always talked up what Guildford beings to the team). Guildford wasn't even involved in the last Crusaders pre-season game (instead playing for the Crusaders B side, the Knights) which was perhaps an indication something was up.

Anyways, some interesting selections from both sides. Not sure why you would rest players the first week of the season - they should be as rested as they will ever be! Perry is a bit of a downgrade from Crockett, but Crockett has struggled with Tameifuna in the past so it may not be a bad selection. Slightly surprised Romano isn't starting over Bird given the Crusaders are lacking ball runners in the pack. Bleyendaal gets the first shot in the 10 jersey, and I'm sure he will do a solid job, though I'm sure Crusaders supporters would be more happy with Tom Taylor in the starting lineup taking the kicks at goal (not the Bleyendaal is a poor goal-kicker, just that Taylor is exceptional). Lee-Lo gives the Crusaders a strong ball running option in the midfield, while I actually think Tuitavake will be good for the Crusaders backline as he has a very good side-step (which is something most of the Crusaders backs don't have).

The Chiefs lineup looks a bit depleted, but they still have plenty of quality. I'm a bit uncertain about the height disparity in the front-row - MackIntosh is very tall for a prop, while Tameifuna is pretty short. Front-rows can work with different sized props, but in general I think it is easier with props that are similar size (which is something the Chiefs could have if they paired Manu & Tameifuna or MackIntosh & Afeaki. Kolomatangi gets a big chance - I'm sure he will do a solid job, but it is a big ask player your first Super Rugby match against Richie McCaw! Pulu is an interesting choice at halfback, though he was electric at times for the Chiefs last season. The Chiefs have a big strong midfield, and plenty of quality and experience out wide (though it will be interesting to see how Muliaina goes after a couple of seasons away from Super Rugby).

Overall I'm picking it to be a close match, but I think the Crusaders will start the season with a win (for a change). I'm picking them by 5-10 points.

Should be a cracker, hard to say who I think will win, both sides look good all things considered. With Crusaders inability to start well I'll go with the Chiefs.

Great to see Fruean back.Too difficult to predict result .Whatever the result it will be a cracking game!

Hell to call this one
Can only go on a plus for the defending team and Saders lackluster start to every year

After a bit of a think (and possibly a quick flip of the coin) I'm going to side with the Chiefs in this game.

It really is hard to pick as we don't have any real current form to go on, so for me it comes down to which team I think will be better prepared. I give the coaching battle hands down to Rennie and co and that for me is enough to side with the Chiefs. I generally think the matchups are about even although I like the fact that Chiefs are arguably a bit more of a cohesive unit with more time playing together and a few combinations which might be a bit tighter than the Crusaders (I've always felt that having so many ABs in and out of the Crusaders team has been a major hurdle for them to overcome and they have often failed at getting things together consistently in the last few seasons).

The two key positions I am a bit nervous about for the Chiefs is hooker and half back. I loved Pulu n the ITM cup but I am not convinced (yet) that he will step up in a consistent and in a commanding way at Super Rugby level. If he has a bad game and is pressured too much the Chiefs will struggle although TKB is on the bench if they need to bring him on early it may well already be too late. I have yet to see much of Marshall but what I have seen of him made me a little concerned about his accuracy in the line outs (can some one confirm how good he is there??). Set piece will be key in this game so if he struggles then again that might be enough for the Crusaders gain an edge which is enough to get the win. In saying that, with the big locks the Chiefs have got, and Messam in there too, Marshall should be OK. Love the Chiefs backline, hopefing they can get the best out of Fruean who should be pumped for a big game against his old team! Cruden may well be the difference in the backs so I'll go with the Chiefs by 4!!

Can't wait to see the boys go out and play some footie. Pity about the injury but we tend to get the best out of new players so this game could go either way.

Why Zac Guildford don't start the game? injury?

Last edited:
Why Zac Guildford didn't start the game? injury?

What Darwin said and also basically because Dagg, McNicholl, and Tuitavake are all way better than him! The only time I ever rated Guildford was when he come on to the scene as an age group player with potential. Then for the most part he wasted that potential through a variety of extracurriculars! The rumors I hear about him through various sources I trust are all pretty sad actually! Oh well the world is a tough place if you can't get your act together. Glad McNicholl now looks like he will get a good chance this year!!

What Darwin said and also basically because Dagg, McNicholl, and Tuitavake are all way better than him! The only time I ever rated Guildford was when he come on to the scene as an age group player with potential. Then for the most part he wasted that potential through a variety of extracurriculars! The rumors I hear about him through various sources I trust are all pretty sad actually! Oh well the world is a tough place if you can't get your act together. Glad McNicholl now looks like he will get a good chance this year!!

Here, ITM's games not shown. Then I only see the SANZAR players when they play in Super Rugby. Most people here don't even look at Super Rugby games. Or if they look at the Super Rugby games, is in final games. Most rugby supporters here don't know players as: Robbie Fruean, Tim Nanai-Williams, Henry Speight and others good players simply because they don't play for their national teams.

So, I don't have much information about McNicholl and Tuitavake. Hope to see play this season to draw a conclusion about them, I read some notes which spoke highly of McNicholl.

Which NZ outside-back you recommend for my Fantasy team? McNicholl or Tuitavake?

Cheers

Last edited:
Google is your fiend + the forums + unions websites + youtube

and before you ask if I have a problem - no, just use what is available to all Mr. Conrad to gain the knowledge you seem to lack

Latest posts