• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs vs Rebels (Round 9)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140408031034827724.png

15 Tom Marshall
14 Tim Nanai-Williams
13 Andrew Horrell
12 Bundee Aki
11 Mils Muliaina
10 Gareth Anscombe
9 Augustine Pulu
8 Kane Thompson
7 Sam Cane
6 Tanerau Latimer
5 Brodie Retallick (c)
4 Michael Fitzgerald
3 Ben Tameifuna
2 Rhys Marshall
1 Jamie Mackintosh

140408031029361136.png

mini_140408031040853059.png

1. Toby Smith
2. Shota Horie
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Colby Fainga'a
7. Scott Fuglistaller
8. Scott Higginbotham (C)
9. Nic Stirzaker
10. Bryce Hegarty
11. Tom English
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Male Sau
15. Jason Woodward

Last edited:
Chiefs size named: Tom Marshall, Tim Nanai-Williams, Andrew Horrell, Bundee Aki, Mils Muliaina, Gareth Anscombe, Augustine Pulu, Kane Thompson, Sam Cane, Tanerau Latimer, Brodie Retallick (c), Michael Fitzgerald, Ben Tameifuna, Rhys Marshall, Jamie Mackintosh. Reserves: Nathan Harris, Pauliasi Manu, Josh Hohneck, Ross Filipo, Liam Messam, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Anton Lienert-Brown, Jordan Payne.

Only real surprise is Messam on the bench, being rested. Given Cruden is out it's a bit of a gamble, but Latimer is an able replacement. Otherwise the general chopping and changing continues. The backline is as expected (though slightly surprised that Mils is on the wing with Marshall at the back, I would've picked it the other way round). Ross Filipo will make his first appearance this season off the bench, while Jordan Payne has the chance to make his debut (another debut player for the Chiefs this season!). Including this upcoming match, the Chiefs will have used 37 players this season (maybe even a couple more, I might have missed one or two).

In another news, the Chiefs may be about to draft Dwayne Sweeney into the squad as injury cover.

Last edited:
Quite like the look of the back line, Mils on the wing or fullback for me is ok, would like to see Marshall given a shot at the back.

Good to see Aki back and agreed with Mr Fish about Messam being on the bench, but if you have to rest him now would be the game instead of the Crusaders and Brumbies coming up.

Rebels: 1. Toby Smith,2. Shota Horie,3. Laurie Weeks,4. Hugh Pyle ,5. Luke Jones,6. Colby Fainga'a,7. Scott Fuglistaller,8. Scott Higginbotham (C),9. Nic Stirzaker,10. Bryce Hegarty,11. Tom English,12. Mitch Inman ,13. Tamati Ellison,14. Male Sau,15. Jason Woodward

I almost choked when I saw Dwayne Sweeney is coming back. Good local lad but I always thought ian Fosters insistance on playing Dwayne Sweeney ahead of Jackson Willison hampered the chiefs for a long long time. Strong runner but he was always a bad decision maker and hardly ever passed the ball.

I almost choked when I saw Dwayne Sweeney is coming back. Good local lad but I always thought ian Fosters insistance on playing Dwayne Sweeney ahead of Jackson Willison hampered the chiefs for a long long time. Strong runner but he was always a bad decision maker and hardly ever passed the ball.

Yep I'm hoping that if he does get played it's on the wing, that way he can't stifle any attack.

Big test for Anscombe. Last time he played 10 at Super Rugby level he was poor (in fact he wasn't much better at ITM Cup level). He has looked much better at 15 for the Chiefs - I suppose we are going to find out whether this is because he has developed as a player, or whether playing at 15 hid the deficiencies he had at 10. I'm hoping for the former, but suspect the later may be the case....

I wouldn't say that, gonna make it harder no doubt, but still expecting big things from them.

The mental toughness they have built over the last 2 years will certainly help.

We should knock off the Rebels tomorrow, however the Crusaders and Brumbies the following weeks will be a good benchmark.

Crusaders and in particular the Brumbies will be gunning for these guys hard. If the Chiefs get through those games with wins with these players available that will be something.

Chiefs up 19-6 at halftime. Rebels have had most of the ball but apart from a few set pieces that haven't done much with it!

Try Horie. Game on.

Chiefs need to start playing some rugby.

I would love for this referee to pick up on line outs that aren't straight... What are the assistant referees even doing?

Great defence by the rebels. I m trying to figure out how the chiefs have let then back into the game . Very frustrating! Good stuff yellow card.

Chiefs hold on. Just. They really didn't play much rugby, so were probably a bit lucky to get the win. They don't look much like the champion side of 2012/13 to me....

I only manage to see the 15 minutes, and thought that the Rebels should have won it in the last minutes of the game, going for the tap instead of another scrum was a silly idea. But the boys held on.

Chiefs hold on. Just. They really didn't play much rugby, so were probably a bit lucky to get the win. They don't look much like the champion side of 2012/13 to me....

Exactly going on what they've shown so far in this comp they are seriously going to have pull something out of their ass to win this. Their deficiencies are pretty glaring this year. Honestly i think this years comp is the Brumbies/Waratahs or Sharks/Bulls to loose.

In saying that i think a NZ team can win it but I just cant see them getting home adv come the finals which this year will be really really important. The NZ conference is way to even to allow one team to get way ahead. I cant see the Chiefs beating the Saders or the Brumbies coming up. If they get one win out of those two they will have done well actually.

Yeah was a funny game, Chiefs up by 16-0 after 16 minutes and then that was about it, great defense by the Chiefs throughout as there were many times that the Rebels could have scored.

Really didn't seem to utilize our expansive running and counterattack game as we normally would have.

Anscombes kicking was awesome and you wonder if we may have picked up a couple more wins with him kicking in all games.

Exactly going on what they've shown so far in this comp they are seriously going to have pull something out of their ass to win this. Their deficiencies are pretty glaring this year. Honestly i think this years comp is the Brumbies/Waratahs or Sharks/Bulls to loose.

In saying that i think a NZ team can win it but I just cant see them getting home adv come the finals which this year will be really really important. The NZ conference is way to even to allow one team to get way ahead. I cant see the Chiefs beating the Saders or the Brumbies coming up. If they get one win out of those two they will have done well actually.

The Brumbies side that got beaten by the Rebels? The Waratahs side that just lost to the Force and has the same win:loss record as the Highlanders/Crusaders? The Bulls side that has lost more matches than they have won? The Sharks side that have yet to leave South Africa? While I agree that none of the NZ sides have looked that good so far, none of the South African/Australian sides have really been any more consistent (apart from perhaps the Sharks, who as I mentioned haven't made there overseas tour yet). So while I do think the Chiefs and Crusaders have under-performed so far this season they are far from the only teams, and are still in a strong position to push for a top playoff seeding.

Back to the match itself. I thought the Chiefs pack was solid, but not spectacular. Tameifuna was the pick of the ball runners for me, while Retallick, Fitzgerald, and Cane all had big work-rates. I'm not convinced with Thomson at 8 - was he even on the park? I felt they really missed Messam's leadership up-front, but he did try to do a bit too much himself once he got on.

Pulu was a threat at the base of the breakdown, but he does make a few mistakes, and he missed a few tackles on defense. Anscombe was solid at 10 but he still stand very deep on attack, which puts the whole backline well behind the advantage line. His goal-kicking was superb (as it usually is), but his general play kicking still leaves a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, he had a reasonable game, but he still displayed most of the same weaknesses he always has in the 10 jersey (I thought his tackling looked much improved though). Aki looked enthusiastic but did make a few errors, while I remain unconvinced with Horrell at 13 (he is a 12 or even a 10 for me). I would seriously consider playing Horrell at 10 with Anscombe back at fullback. The outside backs were all pretty quiet, but I was impressed with some of Nanai-Williams defensive work, and his work at the breakdown.

The Rebels locks both stood-out - Luke Jones can't be far away from the Wallabies call-up. Higginbotham showed why he will never quite live up to his potential - he is just lacking in the top 2 inches. I thought the side looked much better once Burgess came on (why wasn't he starting?), and I do like the look of Hegarty at 10 (and he certainly has some pace for a 10!). Inman and Ellison are a solid midfield, but they did lack a bit of spark out-wide.

Latest posts