• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Stormers (Week 5)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Super%20Rugby.png

Round 5 - Hamilton
Waikato Stadium
Friday 14/03/14 at 7:35PM
Chiefs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png

Referee: Craig Joubert

Chiefs:
Gareth Anscombe, Tim Nanai-Williams, Charlie Ngatai, Tom Marshall, James Lowe, Aaron Cruden, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Liam Squire, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Matt Symons, Ben Tameifuna, Mahonri Schwalger, Jamie Mackintosh. Reserves: Rhys Marshall, Paulisi Manu, Josh Hohneck, Michael Fitzgerald, Tevita Koloamatangi, Brad Webber, Robbie Fruean, Asaeli Tikoirotuma.

Stormers: Jaco Taute, Kobus van Wyk, Jean de Villiers, Damian de Allende, Gio Aplon, Demetri Catrakilis, Nic Groom, Duane Vermeulen, Schalk Burger, Deon Fourie, De Kock Steenkamp, Ruan Botha, Brok Harris, Tiaan Liebenberg, Steven Kitshoff. Reserves: Stephan Coetzee, Oliver Kebble, Frans Malherbe, Siya Kolisi, Nizaam Carr, Louis Schreuder, Peter Grant, Sailosi Tagicakibau.

Last edited:
Latest news is that Gareth Anscombe, Ben Afeaki and Brodie Retallick will likely all be fit for selection this weekend.

Augustine Pulu, Sam Cane and Tom Marshall are likely to be back in another two weeks.

Stormers news:

Hooker Scarra Ntubeni and prop Pat Cilliers are out of the tour and flown home.
Siya Kolisi's AC Joint is still recovering and he has a 50/50 change of playing.
Brainfart Taute should be fit to play.

We have to make good and beat the Chiefs. Less won't be accepted over here.

I'd probably be leaning towards the Chiefs on their home track, but would like to see the team line ups ... also, it can be a little bit of an unknown when teams come off the bye.

... I'm hoping that Liam Squire gets a bit more game time, so he can test the great defense that the Stormers have ... also interested to see what tactics Aaron Cruden will employ to try and counter that defense.

I don't think the Chiefs forward pack is as strong as the Crusaders at scrum time, so the Stormer will probably have an easier time there, but the breakdown may be contested a bit more vigorously by the Chiefs, and I think they have more players that break the line, than the Crusaders at the moment

I am worried about the Stormers mental state after the gut wrenching loss to the Crusaders.
Also that notorious "second game" on tour..

Well they nearly surprised me last week-end, let's hope for another great game

I am worried about the Stormers mental state after the gut wrenching loss to the Crusaders.
Also that notorious "second game" on tour..

Well they nearly surprised me last week-end, let's hope for another great game

I'm sure it will be ... I'm a little worried, because the Chiefs aren't the greatest team on defense IMO ... I'm sure that the Stormers mental state will be just fine, and that they will take a lot of confidence out of that last result

... they kinda drew the short straw with having to play both the Crusaders, and the Chiefs at home, didn't they?

I'm sure it will be ... I'm a little worried, because the Chiefs aren't the greatest team on defense IMO ... I'm sure that the Stormers mental state will be just fine, and that they will take a lot of confidence out of that last result

Our first game of the season was a massive great defensive effort - sure it was against the Crusaders who looked lost but the injuries we had and the people playing out of position made it greater, not many teams would have held out.

Against the Highlanders it was pretty good as well and we never gave up, mentality we were sharp.

Latest news is that Gareth Anscombe, Ben Afeaki and Brodie Retallick will likely all be fit for selection this weekend.

Augustine Pulu, Sam Cane and Tom Marshall are likely to be back in another two weeks.

Good to have those 3 back, I read somewhere that Rennie said the other could play this week if we needed them to come back, hopefully we won't and they come back super fit.

I am picking a hard fought Chiefs victory.

Our first game of the season was a massive great defensive effort - sure it was against the Crusaders who looked lost but the injuries we had and the people playing out of position made it greater, not many teams would have held out.

Against the Highlanders it was pretty good as well and we never gave up, mentality we were sharp.

Probably fair comments - the Chiefs are the form team in the NZ conference. I guess traditionally, the Chiefs have had, and are known for their attacking prowess, just as the Stormers are known for their resilient defense

My points are that the Stormers defense should be tested a lot more this week, and that the Chiefs will have to be accurate, and not throw the 50/50 passes as the intercept king, JDV, is coming into form
... certainly having those three players back will aide their cause

I can come up with reasons to back picking wins for both teams but more of them are for the Chiefs.

Still, there is no reason we can't rebound to win this so while my head is saying a Chiefs win I am somewhat confident still.

Scarra out is a loss but with Liebenberg and Fourie there we should be fine. Other than that this is one more game for new combinations to have time to find each other and I am hoping the loss to the Crusaders will hurt and motivate.

I don't see any other result besides a Chiefs win, if anything the Stormers are a better team now with the return of Liebenberg.

Hmmm, are you lads sure we have any chance at all :p.

In all seriousness Stormers have an outside chance but it's extremely outside. Chiefs over the past 2 years have been the best team. On both defense and attack, Stormers have had a very shakey start, have suffered a few injured and in general have lost some key personnel this year oh and it's away in New Zealand. I will be screaming for Stormers like the rest of you but I don't think we have any realistic chance of a result.

I am picking a close game, with it been JdV 100th the Stormers will want to deliver for him big time.

Chiefs by a handful of points.

Last edited:
Chiefs team named: Anscombe, Nanai-Williams, Ngatai, Marshall, Lowe, Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Symons, Tameifuna, Schwalger, Mackintosh. Reserves: Marshall, Manu, Hohneck, Fitzgerald, Koloamatangi, Webber, Fruean, Tikoirotuma.

No mention of any injuries, so it's safe to assume that the players missing are either being rested or not considered the best players for the game. With a nine match streak coming up, Rennie will be resting a number of players especially with the African excursion coming up.

Interesting to see Tom Marshall starting at 12. He performed well there last season for Tasman, but I still see him more as an outside back.

It's good to see Squire and Lowe starting. Lowe, in particular, could be a big player this season for the Chiefs with no number 8 really striking as being the obvious starter. Three Tasman players in the starting XV... Is that a record? :p

Last edited:
Pretty solid lineup.

I see Marshall playing more of a centre role for us, the backline looks solid if a little experimental, but given the quality of the bench I have great faith.

With 3 games on the road after this round it is good to see a few names not in the squad that may have little ****les getting rested.

Playing the Cheetahs and Bulls in SA will be a big ask.

I can come up with reasons to back picking wins for both teams but more of them are for the Chiefs.

Still, there is no reason we can't rebound to win this so while my head is saying a Chiefs win I am somewhat confident still.

Scarra out is a loss but with Liebenberg and Fourie there we should be fine. Other than that this is one more game for new combinations to have time to find each other and I am hoping the loss to the Crusaders will hurt and motivate.

How is Scarra being out a loss?? Last week you won more balls on opposition line-out throws than your own! He's not better that Tiaan or Deon.

Why not give Peter Grant a start? such a potent backline, and Catrakilis doesn't use them as well as he should...

Ja, we've been struggling in the line-outs but I don't give Scarra ALL the blame.

With Steenkamp and particulalry Botha now at lock I feel we are going to go much better at the line-out and I think people will say it's down to Scaraa being out with Liebenberg in which doesn't tell the entire story IMO.

..At least I hope the line-out functions Friday.

No longer afraid and scared how my team might perform.
Now seeing this a huge challenge and looking forward to it!

Chiefs team named: Anscombe, Nanai-Williams, Ngatai, Marshall, Lowe, Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Squire, Latimer, Messam, Retallick, Symons, Tameifuna, Schwalger, Mackintosh. Reserves: Marshall, Manu, Hohneck, Fitzgerald, Koloamatangi, Webber, Fruean, Tikoirotuma.

No mention of any injuries, so it's safe to assume that the players missing are either being rested or not considered the best players for the game. With a nine match streak coming up, Rennie will be resting a number of players especially with the African excursion coming up.

Interesting to see Tom Marshall starting at 12. He performed well there last season for Tasman, but I still see him more as an outside back.

It's good to see Squire and Lowe starting. Lowe, in particular, could be a big player this season for the Chiefs with no number 8 really striking as being the obvious starter. Three Tasman players in the starting XV... Is that a record? :p

LoL ... it probably is a record, in previous years we would have been struggling to have started three players across all of the teams ...I thing the Chiefs style of rugby is probably similar to the way the Makos liked to play, so hopefully they will all go well.

... I'm interested to see how Squire goes, and if he can have any impact/break the line ... he's up against a pretty useful loose trio

Latest posts