• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Stormers (Week 5)

there always seem to be talking point with chiefs team namings, for the most part Cruden, Messam and Retalick start every week and all other positions see a lot of rotation. Anscombe straight into 15 after an injury break. Squire and Symons get their first starts after looking good in the previous game. Tiko benched/rotated. Mils rested (out) Mackintosh back starting, seems like he and Manu are going to be swapping between the grass and pine a lot.

Id like to see Anscombe come into the attack and also take the longer range shots at goal.

I'm a bit shocked not to see Horrell in there somewhere the guy just seems to do the business anywhere any time. marshall at 12, that is interesting and makes me wonder if Horrell has a minor injury? I still think Horrell/Ngatai is the best 12/13 combo for the chiefs.

Still yet to see Aki? Injured?

The way players rotate and change positions at the chiefs is really mind blowing. But its working, they just seem to have the gameplan and mindset to make it work and get the best out of players.

Struggle to see this as anything other than a chiefs win.

there always seem to be talking point with chiefs team namings, for the most part Cruden, Messam and Retalick start every week and all other positions see a lot of rotation. Anscombe straight into 15 after an injury break. Squire and Symons get their first starts after looking good in the previous game. Tiko benched/rotated. Mils rested (out) Mackintosh back starting, seems like he and Manu are going to be swapping between the grass and pine a lot.

Id like to see Anscombe come into the attack and also take the longer range shots at goal.

I'm a bit shocked not to see Horrell in there somewhere the guy just seems to do the business anywhere any time. marshall at 12, that is interesting and makes me wonder if Horrell has a minor injury? I still think Horrell/Ngatai is the best 12/13 combo for the chiefs.

The way players rotate and change positions at the chiefs is really mind blowing. But its working, they just seem to have the gameplan and mindset to make it work and get the best out of players.

Yeah it's weird to see Marshall started there if Horrell is fit, he is a class act. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Horrell and Fruean in combo. I think they're a better combo (on paper) than Ngatai/Fruean.

Aki's injured, yep, has been since before the start of the season.

It sounds like Robbie Robinson is likely out for the rest of the season, sadly. A replacement will be brought in shortly. Hika Elliot has also officially been declared out for the season, so Nathan Harris has joined the squad full time.

The Chiefs have not impressed me so far. Will be intresting to see if they are any better this week. It will be hugely intresting to see how long it takes them to break down the Stormers defence after the pathetic effort by the Crusaders last week.

The Stormers could pose problems thats for sure.

Average score: Chiefs 25 Stormers 26
Last five results
09 Mar 2013 Chiefs v Stormers 34-36 Cape Town
14 May 2011 Chiefs v Stormers 30-23 Hamilton
16 Apr 2010 Chiefs v Stormers 15-49 Hamilton
03 May 2009 Chiefs v Stormers 28-14 Cape Town
14 Mar 2008 Chiefs v Stormers 26-35 Hamilton

Chiefs overall record against the Stormers
Played 15,
Wins 6 ,Losses 9,Draws 0

Just some interesting stats from superxv.com.

It just goes to show that this is as close as they come. The stats favor the Stormers but in recent matches the Chiefs win when they shouldn't and the Stormers lose when they should win so it probably counts for nada.

There's a storm heading to NZ right now so conditions are likely to be wet, could favour the Stormers.

The Chiefs have not impressed me so far. Will be intresting to see if they are any better this week. It will be hugely intresting to see how long it takes them to break down the Stormers defence after the pathetic effort by the Crusaders last week.

The Stormers could pose problems thats for sure.

No NZ team has impressed so far this year, the Chiefs would have to be the best based on 2 wins and some good defensive efforts.

The rain tonight should make for an interesting game if it hits the Waikato for the game

If it rains I think Stormers will win.

No NZ team has impressed so far this year, the Chiefs would have to be the best based on 2 wins and some good defensive efforts.

The rain tonight should make for an interesting game if it hits the Waikato for the game

Yeah no NZ team is at its best so far of competition. This could have a negative impact on ABs, right?

Cheers

There's a storm heading to NZ right now so conditions are likely to be wet, could favour the Stormers.

The weather is supposed to hold up for today, hopefully!

Last edited:
Yeah no NZ team is at its best so far of competition. This could have a negative impact on ABs, right?

Cheers

Hard to say, look at Dagg and Nonu last year, really **** super form and then awesome for the AB's.

The AB's tend to deliver even when the super form of players is patchy and we have until June for the 1st test series so plenty of time for form to come.

Chiefs and Highlanders for the big performances this week. Hurricanes and Crusaders to sneak in for the wins.

Hard to say, look at Dagg and Nonu last year, really **** super form and then awesome for the AB's.

The AB's tend to deliver even when the super form of players is patchy and we have until June for the 1st test series so plenty of time for form to come.

Chiefs and Highlanders for the big performances this week. Hurricanes and Crusaders to sneak in for the wins.

Yep ... the All Black players know when they need to hit form ... I'd be a little bit worried if they were at their peak already

Yeah but ABs game isn't based on their backline, catching a match you need to have a good back row and good locks. In the development of a game are more important: Read, Messam, Luatua, McCaw, Retallick, Romano and they aren't at their best at this time, there is still a long time, the Super Rugby season has just started, but Super Rugby fans expected more from teams like Chiefs and Saders IMO.

Cheers

Yeah but ABs game isn't based on their backline, catching a match you need to have a good back row and good locks. In the development of a game are more important: Read, Messam, Luatua, McCaw, Retallick, Romano and they aren't at their best at this time, there is still a long time, the Super Rugby season has just started, but Super Rugby fans expected more from teams like Chiefs and Saders IMO.

Cheers
Oh Conrad, I really do wonder sometimes where you get these ideas from. I do think I understand what you are trying to say, but I would argue that out of all the teams in the world, the ABs base their game more on their back-line more than anyone. I really believe that they are the most well rounded team in world rugby that base their game equally on all the positions in their team; 1 through to 15. To say their game isn't based on their backs just sounds a bit odd to me, given they rely extremely heavily on their backs from the :director of traffic (let's say Aaron Smith) to the brains of the operation (let's say DC & Cruden) to the tough and smart D (Conrad Smith), to the crazy try scoring points machines in their outsides (Savea, Ben Smith, Jane, & Piutau).

Anyway didn''t jump on hear to start an argument with you mate, hope you see where I am coming from ;)

Thought I'd jump on to see what people are saying about this game. I;m just out of surgery, laid up at home in bed and amping to check out tonight game! After watching the Crusaders Stromers last week, Crusaders Blues the week before and the Chiefs first two games, and then seeing the teams named for this one I reckon the Chiefs will win comfortably. I don't think the Stormers will find a way to score many points against the Chiefs and I think the Chiefs will have far more punch than the pretty average Crusaders attack and will be able to put at least 10 maybe 20 more points on the board than the Stormers. That is if the weather holds up. A storm is a coming I hear, so that could throw a spanner in the works.

Chiefs by 16 I'll say on Tanerau's big night out!!

Last edited:
Just caught the end of the weather, seems the storm arrives late tonight/ tomorrow so doesnt look like it will effect the game tonight!

Wonderful width already by the Chiefs; 3 - 3 now and this looks like it'll be a fantastic game!

By the way, really keen to see that Squire and Lowe are getting starts. These guys have got great prospects and have been pretty involved in the game already!

Last edited:
Holly heck the stormers tight five outweights the Chiefs with tameifuna, mckintosh and retalick!? Yet the total pack the chiefs outweight them... i find that very hard to believe. Some fibs being told i reckon.

I wonder if Aplon is a left footer cos that was a good clearance in his own in goalgoal

that was funny! good try though!

It was like one of those trick soccer moves :)

Latest posts