• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 ITM Cup] Round 4

Northland won that? Turned it off with five minutes left with Hawkes Bay in the Northland 22, damn.

Just got back from the Tasman v Waikato game after having a few cold ones at the Sprig & Fern.

That was a bloody exciting match, with Tasman leaving it very late. I'm stoked (and p¡ssed).

Tasman's game went down a notch when Jimmy Cowan can off. Guyton's passes were very rarely in front of the receiver and it put his team on the back foot.

I didn't think the referee was great, Waikato seemed to get a few calls their way at the breakdown which they shouldn't have. Also I was pretty brassed off at Tasman players taking out players far past the ruck in the last five or ten minutes - I think I saw the 16 do it twice. Are assistant referees only 90% useless, or is it the full 100?

The game was great to watch, an excellent show piece game (which had only one up and under!?) which was a good start to a Friday night! Waikato will rue their many lost chances.

Tasman's game went down a notch when Jimmy Cowan can off. Guyton's passes were very rarely in front of the receiver and it put his team on the back foot.

I didn't think the referee was great, Waikato seemed to get a few calls their way at the breakdown which they shouldn't have. Also I was pretty brassed off at Tasman players taking out players far past the ruck in the last five or ten minutes - I think I saw the 16 do it twice. Are assistant referees only 90% useless, or is it the full 100?

The game was great to watch, an excellent show piece game (which had only one up and under!?) which was a good start to a Friday night! Waikato will rue their many lost chances.

You know you have a poor passing game when it is a step down from Jimmy Cowan's ;)

Declan O'Donnell looked incredibly sharp - I see that he is credited with 7 (yes 7!) linebreaks! Pity he had the ball knocked out of his hands when he was over the line (I think it was him not Webber?). If he continues with this form he should get a Super Rugby contract (perhaps with the Crusaders or Highlanders). Brad Weber again impressed with ball in hand - I can't understand how/why Otago let him go!

Squire was again impressive for Tasman - you can certainly see why the AB's selectors have shown interest in him (he plays in a very similar style to Read). Marty Banks is pretty handy at this level too. I'm still not convinced with Tom Marshall at 12 though - it seems to be a waste of his skills using him there....

You know you have a poor passing game when it is a step down from Jimmy Cowan's ;)

Declan O'Donnell looked incredibly sharp - I see that he is credited with 7 (yes 7!) linebreaks! Pity he had the ball knocked out of his hands when he was over the line (I think it was him not Webber?). If he continues with this form he should get a Super Rugby contract (perhaps with the Crusaders or Highlanders). Brad Weber again impressed with ball in hand - I can't understand how/why Otago let him go!

Squire was again impressive for Tasman - you can certainly see why the AB's selectors have shown interest in him (he plays in a very similar style to Read). Marty Banks is pretty handy at this level too. I'm still not convinced with Tom Marshall at 12 though - it seems to be a waste of his skills using him there....

In Guyton's defence, he's actually a midfielder who has recently been shifted to halfback, but his passes were still terrible.

I was again impressed with McKenzie, I actually thought he outplayed Bankes last night. Squire was certainly impressive, he is going to be a great asset for the Chiefs in the years to come.

NZRU need to just relegate Wellington now.

I refuse to watch Wellington vs Auckland...

Big mistake, Wellington thrashed them 30-6. What? That was the half-time score? Wellington lost? How is that possible? At least Wellington got a bonus point for getting close.....

In Guyton's defence, he's actually a midfielder who has recently been shifted to halfback, but his passes were still terrible.

I was again impressed with McKenzie, I actually thought he outplayed Bankes last night. Squire was certainly impressive, he is going to be a great asset for the Chiefs in the years to come.

Guyton is an interesting one indeed. He was a star for the mighty Old Golds (North Otago) for a couple of years as a midfielder/fullback. When I saw the name Billy Guyton in the Tasman side (the next season) as the back up halfback I had to check to make sure it was the same player!

Right, time to watch Taranaki vs Southland. Looking forward to watching Marty McKenzie against his former side. I'm looking for big performances from Fatialofa and Willis Halaholo for Southland as I think they are both potential Super Rugby players next season...

Last edited:

Latest posts