TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
ITM-Cup-Logo.png

ROUND 6

17/09 - Southland v Tasman

Tasman: Robbie Malneek, Mitch Scott, Bryce Heem, Kieron Fonotia, James Lowe, Marty Bankes, Jimmy Cowan, Liam Squire, Shane Christie (c), Pete Samu, Joe Wheeler, Alex Ainley, Ross Geldenhuys, Quentin Macdonald, Tim Perry. Reserves: Jesse Macdonald, Reuben Northover, Tevita Kavubati, Vernon Fredricks, Billy Guyton, Mike Wells, David Havili.

18/09 - Northland v Taranaki

Taranaki: James Marshall (c), Kurt Baker, Seta Tamanivalu, Charlie Ngatai, Waisake Naholo, Marty McKenzie, Chris Smylie, Blade Thomson, Berny Hall or Iopu Iupo-Aso, Mitchell Crosswell, James Broadhurst, Riki Hoeata, Ryan Cocker, Rhys Marshall, Mitchell Graham. Reserves: Sione Lea, Angus Ta'avao, Mitchell Brown, Iopu Iopu-Aso or Hala Toafihi, Jamison Gibson-Park, Jackson Ormond, Codey Rei.

19/09 - Counties Manukau v Canterbury

Counties Manukau: Tim Nanai-Williams (c), Frank Halai, Rey Lee-Lo, Bundee Aki, Toni Pulu, Ahsee Tuala, Augustine Pulu, Maama Vaipulu, Dan Hyatt, Jordan Taufua, Sikeli Nabou, Ronald Raaymakers, Jarrod Firth, Suliasi Taufalele, Pauliasi Manu. Reserves: Sione Anga'aelangi, Sean Bagshaw, Viliami Rarasea, Onosa'i Auva'a, Kane Hancy, Michael Stanley, Sherwin Stowers.

Canterbury: Richie Mo'unga, Patrick Osborne, Adam Whitelock, Rob Thompson, Johnny McNicholl, Tom Taylor, Willi Heinz (c), Nasi Manu, Matt Todd, Luke Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Joel Everson, Nepo Laulala, Ben Funnell. Siate Tokolahi. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Alex Hodgman, Dominic Bird, Tom Sanders, Mitchell Drummond, Brett Mather, Luteru Laulala.

20/09 - Hawke's Bay v Bay of Plenty (RS)

20/09 - Auckland v North Harbour

Auckland:
Lolagi Visinia, Ben Lam, Hadleigh Parkes, TJ Faiane, George Moala, Gareth Anscombe, Junior Poluleuligaga, Peter Saili, Sean Polwart, Blake Gibson, Liaki Moli, Patrick Tuipulotu, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Tom McCartney (c), Sam Prattley. Reserves: Gafatasi Su'a, Nick Barrett, Jack Whetton, Joe Edwards, Leon Fukofuka

20/09 - Manawatu v Southland

21/09 - Otago v Waikato

Waikato: Wharenui Hawera, Regan Ware, Jordan Payne, Anton Lienert-Brown, Joe Webber, Damian McKenzie, Brad Weber (c), Adam Burn, Zak Hohneck, Whetu Douglas, Jacob Skeen, Nick Ross, Josh Hohneck, Hame Faiva, Loni Uhila. Reserves: Harry Jones, James McGougan, David Morgan, Zane Kapeli, Harrison Levien, Chauncy Edwardson, Shayne Anderson.

21/09 - Wellington v Tasman

3qSmgaz.png

Last edited:
Tasman should be too strong for Southland, and they will be wanting to make up for last week's stupidity, so I'd imagine they'll have a win by 7 points.

Northland could be a bit of a banana skin for Taranaki. Northland are paying $2.60 to win, and to be honest they're probably the form team in the Championship (besides Hawke's Bay). That being said, Taranaki are much improved from last year and should have too much fire power.

Counties are paying $6.50 to beat Canterbury - which I can't see happening. However I'd be surprised if it was a complete thrashing, so $1.92 for getting within 15 points isn't too bad a deal.

The Battle of the Bays shouldn't be much of a contest.

The Battle of the Bridge, on the other hand, could be very interesting. North Harbour are paying $6.50 H2H, which I think is quite high. I backed them last week against Manawatu and they came through, but away to Auckland is a different story. Their win last week should give them some confidence, and now that they have the monkey off their back I think they'll push for a top four spot (famous last words). Getting within 15 points pays out $1.92, so I think I'll place a bit of money on that.

Southland should be too good for Manawatu.

Otago v Waikato could go either way. Waikato have been fairly consistent this season, so I'm willing to back them. I think we'll see quite a few tries as neither team is particularly solid on defence.

Wellington will be looking to win their first game of the season against Tasman, but I can't see it happening, especially with Jason Woodward banned for one match (along with Jimmy Tupou).

Won $ last night (Tasman were always going to be too strong)

Have money on Naki tonight so hopefully they get up. Might put a few handicap bets on Northland.

I'm off to the game on Saturday (Manawatu vs Southland) as I got some free tickets. Not sure who to support, Manawatu I guess.

Northland kicked away too much ball, they should have got macilai into the game more. They could have taken more risks and passed it to him from broken play but every time wright and takulua just kept kicking the ball back to taranaki's back 3 who either ran it straight back into northlands territory or would end up with a penalty

Last edited:
Andrew Horrell is out for the rest of the season in order to have hip surgery to ensure he's ready for Super Rugby.

Tonight's match should be good! Hopefully Counties put up a bit of a fight.

Wellington starting their 5th first-five in 6 matches, with Willie Ripia getting a start. Ripia is a bit of a steal for Wellington...........................................

In other news.... Otago finally get to play again this week after both Otago matches were called off last week (if my recollection is correct). I'm not overly confident of our chances against Waikato as our backline defense has been horrendous this season, and Waikato have some excellent attacking talent in the backs (Weber, Webber, and McKenzie in particular, but Hawera looks dangerous at fullback, and we have seen a bit more from Lienert-Brown recently too).

Won on Counties + 16 and +21

Phew. Ripia is an absolute steal!!!

Won on Counties + 16 and +21

Phew. Ripia is an absolute steal!!!

I had $5 on Counties to get within 16, I was pretty worried early on the second half and then I was more angry and Counties' stupidity. Plus Cm were denied a definite try.

Good win for Manawatu tonight. To be fair Southland looked drained as it was their 3rd game in 10 days but our skill level in the conditions was pretty good. We scored some nice tries and on the whole defended well.

Last edited:
To be fair Southland have lost the plot as far as tactics go. Couldnt stop kicking the ball away whenever they were in Manawatus half but tried running it from their own line how many times? Well done to the Turbos though, you guys are having a good season and look to have a good team there. Elliot Dixon a bit hard done by for getting binned for that high tackle?

That was a shocking call from the ref - he initially got him around the shoulder and then slipped up. It was a penalty but nothing more. I did feel we got the rub of the green ref wise, which as a Manawatu fan is weird as we usually are on the wrong side of that.

Haven't caught much rugby this week unfortunately, though I'm looking forward to Waikato v Otago in an hour!

From the brief highlights package I saw it looks like we've had some great tries this weekend. Manawatu scored a couple of incredible ones (especially that first one), while Tongia has looked very good for Hawke's Bay all season and should pick up a Super contract somewhere.

In other news, Hika Elliot returned to rugby this weekend with a match for Poverty Bay. He played for sixty minutes.

Last edited:
Poor refereeing early on in this Otago Waikato match.

Otago earn a penalty for Waikato not releasing, but the penalty should've gone the other way as the Otago player was clearly not supporting his own body weight to begin with.

A potential forward pass in the subsequent play gives Otago the first try after only a few minutes!

Edit: Waikato hit back straight away after Otago can't take the kick off. Good runs from Burn, Payne and Weber leads to a fine try from McKenzie.

Edit 2: Why do we have assistant referees? They are beyond useless. Otago take an illegal throw in and an AR is right in front of the thrower but does nothing. Do they not know the rules or so they just get told not to say anything?

Last edited:
I think the refereeing has been quite simply superb :) Why couldn't we have played like this against Hawke's Bay?

EDIT: Joe Webber is pretty impressive going on the outside....

Last edited:
I think the refereeing has been quite simply superb :) Why couldn't we have played like this against Hawke's Bay?

Walden and Anderson-Heather have probably been the pick of Otago's players. It's made a massive difference that they've been able to win some line-ups!

Walden and Anderson-Heather have probably been the pick of Otago's players. It's made a massive difference that they've been able to win some line-ups!

The ability to win our own lineout is a novel experience for us....

I think Ealey has been a step-up from Renton at halfback too, though we have been getting better ball than usual. Hayden Parker is pretty good at this level too....

EDIT: Brilliant continuity it that try! Renton's passing was pinpoint accurate that whole play too.....

Last edited:
The ability to win our own lineout is a novel experience for us....

I think Ealey has been a step-up from Renton at halfback too, though we have been getting better ball than usual. Hayden Parker is pretty good at this level too....

EDIT: Brilliant continuity it that try! Renton's passing was pinpoint accurate that whole play too.....

Ealey's passes have been good, but he's made some awful kicks from the base.

Which reminds me, why is everyone onside when a kick is charged down? Such a random law.

Ealey's passes have been good, but he's made some awful kicks from the base.

Which reminds me, why is everyone onside when a kick is charged down? Such a random law.

True, it has just been nice for our backs to get some quality ball. These last few weeks Renton's slow delivery has hindered any possibility of using our backline effectively (he has been good this week since coming on though).

Probably Waikato's worst game of the season so far. Weber is absolutely gutted. But Otago certainly forced Waikato into it! Waikato have really struggled this season competing at the breakdown, they probably force the fewest turnovers of all the teams.