• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: France vs Ireland (Round 5)

All these comments on easy wins, Ireland will win, be careful my friends you are all setting yourselves up for a great fall from very dizzy heights, and a couple of weeks of comments that could leave you all in self pity for a very long time, "he who laughs last laughs longest" for the moment i am just chuckling!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair you said this about Montpellier vs Ulster... And then you got battered. These smug comments really don't help your case.

They then interviewed Serge Betsen who was trying to be diplomatic about it all but just kept saying "it's difficult to understand what can change" over and over again.

well that's it. A guy like Betsen, our official Rugby ambassador in England, has got to be somewhat diplomatic. I'll agree with what Moscato says when he says this ain't politics, and PSA shoulda just admitted "we need to regroup coz we're just not playing at a level that's acceptable at this standard etc.."...in stead of going into full neurosis-mode and inventing a story that's got nothing to do with what transpires on the pitch.
But to get back to Betsen, he needs to be a little diplomatic. He can't just say he thinks they look like utter steaming feces, esp. not in the presence of the old enemy and rivals.

I've tried for a long, loooooong time to defend PSA by clinging onto the positives, because I'm of a very positive nature. But this is just beyond ridiculous, and he just ever so simply needs to gtfo, like, there's so little doubt there I couldn't possibly hesitate a second to say that.

June-November 2012 only happened because of Michalak, in short. But not even FTD can just come back into the French squad and instill such a culture into a team. Michalak really is a magician when he's in God mode, but like a powerful recreational drug, the drop is as formidable as the high. He can either literally, and it's not often one can say that without exaggerating - literally - optimize the full potential of a team and reign supreme or he can break your team like a toy. Absolutely destroy it.

So with that high not happening for us, we're basically to be subjected to no plan until something happens, a big change. Probably after the World Cup in 2015.
Is France capable of making it far ? Yep. They actually are. Off sheer talent, a bit of luck (à la Tonga beaten by Canada so we advance; Warburton red) and just...just being French.

To be fair you said this about Montpellier vs Ulster... And then you got battered. These smug comments really don't help your case.

obviously getting touchy are we???? and what has Montpellier v Ulster got to do with France v Ireland!!!!! nothing smug about replying to comments already made on the thread, and helping my case i dont think so.!!! if thats all you have to offer forget it sunshine!!!!!!!!

obviously getting touchy are we???? and what has Montpellier v Ulster got to do with France v Ireland!!!!! nothing smug about replying to comments already made on the thread, and helping my case i dont think so.!!! if thats all you have to offer forget it sunshine!!!!!!!!
Not being touchy, and nothing to do with the specific game - just the way you're getting on which you always do, and Mont-Uls came to mind.

Of course, they're not full of Frenchmen.

I heard the same argument 20 years ago about how our top clubs would topple the national side any day. Same argument in soccer as well. Nothing has changed. Not even the foreigners. Its the club culture.. I know you don't get that..

^ ughh...our defense has been fine this year, the one thing we do well collectively, but I'm not sure it's better or even as good as last year's. NZ, the most dangerous team in the world on attack, has struggled. They may have scored 3 tries in test 2 and put 30 on us, but they were off fantastic quick windows of opportunities, brief as it gets, and they seized it. But they had very, very little attacking chances for such a brilliant AB squad, and in FOUR tests.

This year, the tries we really shouldn't have conceded:
- England: Mike Brown over 4 Frenchmen. He's good, but he's not THAT good. Big break there for England, dunno how France let that happen...
- Italy's try. 14 on 13 or wtvr the situation was after that intentional red. Shouldn't have happened, they wouldn't have scored on us if the whole match had been 15 on 15.
- Wales: freak accident 1 for us, Doussain smashes into Dulin who lets go of the ball, try North.
- Scotland: freak accident 2 Huget and Dulin collide in the goal area, an opportunistic Hogg pressures the ball home. Try.

And I should add that though the second Scottish try was a very nice combination, Plisson was as naive as you can be as a defender. Rookie mistake, shouldn't have occurred with a regularly experienced 10. He's a weak link on defense for us.

the other tries scored on us:
* Billy V to Burrell was a nice try. Utter simplicity, good penetration. Straight in for a clean score.
* Warburton's try on France: very good momentum from the forwards, a break from Roberts, and what great control of the ball by Warburton. That guy must have one hell of a handshake.

Interesting. Funny as I said in previous posts that Bastareau's defense has improved this season with Toulon which was not his forte before. And not many seemed to agree.And he has been good defensively esp agst Eng. He has justified his selection and needs time to develop into his position. The real issue again is his partnership in midfield.

Last edited:
Interesting. Funny as I said in previous posts that Bastareau's defense has improved this season with Toulon which was not his forte before. And not many seemed to agree.And he has been good defensively esp agst Eng. He has justified his selection and needs time to develop into his position. The real issue again is his partnership in midfield.

That mans problem is his head. If he genuinely settled down and got fit and has his mentality and attitude spot on he will be a serious weapon.

That mans problem is his head. If he genuinely settled down and got fit and has his mentality and attitude spot on he will be a serious weapon.

yeah in part...but he's also playing on a team that doesn't know what a team is. So he's not exactly embedded into a system that allows him to be what he should be. Just watching him play in the Top 14 a bit helps one understand that. And Toulon aren't always fielding crazy good teams with tons of int'ls, and he's still a much more dangerous weapon on attack.

One of the main problems with France this year, I keep saying it, is they offer their backs absolutely no depth. When the opposing defense is tight as it's been against England, and Wales especially, a simple skip pass deep within your back line makes ALL the difference in the world. But also when I say depth I mean our guys are being fed the ball at defense level, so it's ruck ruck ruck ruck......then a bunch of passes, then ruck...ruck ruckruck....because they're met by the defense immediately.

There's so little structure on attack our guys have to pick themselves up and create out of literally nothing. And that's, mind you, precisely what they've been doing for the past year and a half. No exception.

Serve Basta the ball with a bit of momentum, just watch the difference.
It's basically what Wales do all the time with Roberts. Simple as hell, but it's got them a couple of tries just this tournament. Roberts at full speed from a deep pass in his lane.

(not a double post !)

It's pretty amazing to hear the players themselves talk about what's currently going on in the French national team. I understand they're happy that, despite everything, they're 3-1 and that's already more than they've won all of last year. I also understand they've got to keep their chins up and a positive attitude and not point fingers at anyone, specific players or coaches.

But I found myself almost believing Szarzewski there in the video-interview. He says it's not great, but they're working hard, they know they've got a huge margin of progression, and they just need a trigger for everything to fall into place, they know they haven't been able to install their attack the way they want, they feel they've got more points of reference in training and are improving as a team together...

They did play a fine game against England although far from perfect, same against Italy but then Cardiff was a disaster, and though Murrayfield was even worse it was almost quite literally a B team. No leaders, much of the talent missing, Brice Mach and the lineouts..

But then to not say things as they are...they might explode at a point. The more one covers for something, smothers an inevitable truth, the more it bubbles up and the crash will be spectacular, and consequently meaningful.

My, my....what a TYPICALLY, typically french situation :lol:
It feels like the 2011 RWC all over again.

yeah in part...but he's also playing on a team that doesn't know what a team is. So he's not exactly embedded into a system that allows him to be what he should be. Just watching him play in the Top 14 a bit helps one understand that. And Toulon aren't always fielding crazy good teams with tons of int'ls, and he's still a much more dangerous weapon on attack.

One of the main problems with France this year, I keep saying it, is they offer their backs absolutely no depth. When the opposing defense is tight as it's been against England, and Wales especially, a simple skip pass deep within your back line makes ALL the difference in the world. But also when I say depth I mean our guys are being fed the ball at defense level, so it's ruck ruck ruck ruck......then a bunch of passes, then ruck...ruck ruckruck....because they're met by the defense immediately.

There's so little structure on attack our guys have to pick themselves up and create out of literally nothing. And that's, mind you, precisely what they've been doing for the past year and a half. No exception.

Serve Basta the ball with a bit of momentum, just watch the difference.
It's basically what Wales do all the time with Roberts. Simple as hell, but it's got them a couple of tries just this tournament. Roberts at full speed from a deep pass in his lane.

Would agree with that but it's his head that put him there. He should never have left Stade Francais and like I'd also add he's still young enough to change.

"Order to French Chaos - Kiss":
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9208037,00.html

Aww crap, that Kiss dude just figured us out. He figured out France's grande scheme of things....ahhh shoot. Gosh darn it...

Another thing:
France have a choice for the flankers of: Le Roux, Lauret, Bruni and Lapandry.
I'd personally go with Le Roux and Lauret, but they'd have to play one hell, of a hell of a game.

Lauret needs to play a game like he did against NZ in Nov., and Le Roux has to be very vigilant at the breakdown, he's quite penalty-prone although he's good there tbf. Well, he's a Saffa, so...

I'm actually quite happy with our third row options when everybody returns. We definitely lack MASS there, but with guys like Burban and Le Roux on one hand, and solid Dusautoir/Ouedra, or athletic Bruni/Nyanga...Lauret really just needs the weight for test level, it's that simple, but he's a fantastic tackler/fetcher. And Lapandry is always around the corner and does do damage at the breakdown, but he needs to develop...
And Chouly's okay, but Picamoles is indisputable at no.8.

Bastareau was dead right to go to Toulon. He found the environment he needed there and has been challenged in a way he wasn't challenged in SF. Laporte worked on him and that's partly why he is in the french squad. Not sure he would have improved at SF.

no comment on that....rather interesting comment from the Irish guy on France's "organized chaos" theory yet ???

I mean, it's all over for Ireland anyways...we have Huget. He'll intercept or score off broken play at least a hat trick number of times. Ireland are lost.
France's superior ability to not have a gameplan, all intentionally bien sur, will create exactly the confusion effect we've plotted for this whole tournament. France will pretend like they're being subjected to great pressure from the opponent, and just when you thought you had it they'll somehow end up the other way and score 7 themselves.
They only had their one bad game in the tournament in Wales, but they've secretly dominated the rest. Ever so insidiously that everyone talks about a...heh, supposed " lack of a game plan" or..."disorganized rugby". Funny...
Saint-André knew almost exactly the very minute when Doussain would get the penalty against Scotland and take the game.

Pressure means nothing to us. We're invincible in clutch moments. We scored the clutch try against England, the clutch penalty against Scotland. We even wanted a tight game against Italy to do it to them, but we were too great and went up way ahead and never looked back...unfortunately...

no comment on that....rather interesting comment from the Irish guy on France's "organized chaos" theory yet ???

I mean, it's all over for Ireland anyways...we have Huget. He'll intercept or score off broken play at least a hat trick number of times. Ireland are lost.
France's superior ability to not have a gameplan, all intentionally bien sur, will create exactly the confusion effect we've plotted for this whole tournament. France will pretend like they're being subjected to great pressure from the opponent, and just when you thought you had it they'll somehow end up the other way and score 7 themselves.
They only had their one bad game in the tournament in Wales, but they've secretly dominated the rest. Ever so insidiously that everyone talks about a...heh, supposed " lack of a game plan" or..."disorganized rugby". Funny...
Saint-André knew almost exactly the very minute when Doussain would get the penalty against Scotland and take the game.

Pressure means nothing to us. We're invincible in clutch moments. We scored the clutch try against England, the clutch penalty against Scotland. We even wanted a tight game against Italy to do it to them, but we were too great and went up way ahead and never looked back...unfortunately...

Does you tongue get stuck in your cheek!!

I have to backtrack a little on my assertion that France will win this one after the ridiculous - but what else from PSA - decision not to call for either Parra or FTD.............how he can expect to win without half backs I am not sure and will have to go with a French win now more out of hope and optimism than conviction...................................

Does you tongue get stuck in your cheek!!

Wh...bu....wh........Well, I never !!!...

I have to backtrack a little on my assertion that France will win this one after the ridiculous - but what else from PSA - decision not to call for either Parra or FTD.............how he can expect to win without half backs I am not sure and will have to go with a French win now more out of hope and optimism than conviction...................................

good point...
- Plisson is exactly the opposite of what I thought he'd be. I imagined a very young and inexperienced young Parisian but full of confidence, leading a powerful backline to pretty tries and what not, hard hitting and committed on defense...Stade Franchouillard style.
It turns out for a 10 above 90kg he's a soft tackler, naive on defense, hasn't produced anything out of the ordinary on attack and has failed at times to even provide a standard level there. His kicking has been so so, he's had some very good decisions and some bad ones...
- Machenaud I actually have trust in at 9. This 2014 6N has been, as sad as it sounds, his official return to the Bleus jersey on-form.

But an enormous chasm still lies within the XV de France. Which isn't really a biggie, because we're so intimidating anyways of course...but the..the........
THA FENNEL TEA KITTENS !!!..

oh god, I hate it so much when this happens....I'm slightly dyslexic and I get my words mixed up when I get too excited...

ahemm...' the penalty kickingzz...'

Yeah, those things gon be problm fer Fronse litl.

Can't ****ing wait.

Need to go out there and sick it to the ********.

Im not sure it's clicked yet that downplaying our chances and complimenting the opposition is a time old and very intelligent Irish tactic. In every interview they have nothing but positives to say about the opposition. Every player and every coach. That way the opposition have absolutely no cannon fodder on us to hype them up beforehand. Also gives us the underdog tag which we thrive under. Just look at McFadden's interview on Bastareud. Really pressures him to perform while also identifying his threats and giving the impression the Irish team have prepared accordingly to deal with them. The English do it very well too.

Im not sure it's clicked yet that downplaying our chances and complimenting the opposition is a time old and very intelligent Irish tactic. In every interview they have nothing but positives to say about the opposition. Every player and every coach. That way the opposition have absolutely no cannon fodder on us to hype them up beforehand. Also gives us the underdog tag which we thrive under. Just look at McFadden's interview on Bastareud. Really pressures him to perform while also identifying his threats and giving the impression the Irish team have prepared accordingly to deal with them. The English do it very well too.

Yeahh. Gatland? Not so good at it!