• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 6 Nations: France vs Ireland (Round 5)

oh yeah easy to score a try at that level agst a combined midfield with more than a few hundreds caps like BOD & Darcy. Actually every coach will tell you that the last pass and finishing a move is the most difficult. You've played a lot of rugby Big Ewis so you're talking from experience :lol:

he can't make a backward pass to the left while open, a sport he's been playing for a decade +. Don't come knocking on my personal door, nothing to do with this, stay where the discussion is if you want credibility.
It's a real problem, and he needs to fix it.

he can't make a backward pass to the left while open, a sport he's been playing for a decade +. Don't come knocking on my personal door, nothing to do with this, stay where the discussion is if you want credibility.
It's a real problem, and he needs to fix it.

your description of scoring a try agst a defensive pair like BOD & Darcy is hilarious "pass left, maybe another pass left again, try. Easy as that." :rofl:Does he need close his eyes and make a wish as he passes the ball as well??

To some point i agree but the self coaching normally comes during the WC (Galthie did it in 2003) after the players get pis*** off with the coaches but at the moment we are too far away for that to happen with 3 Internaionals tournaments to come before the next WC, but as i don't see them changing PSA i don't know what the solution is, far too early to let the players get on with it themselves. We need Stability vision and that has to come from somewhere and it will not be the present French coaches who bring that to the table, they are good for the occaisional croissants or tarte from sa grandmere.

yes it normally does come at WC time but i get the feeling it might start earlier. Problem is this is not something that can be easily controlled. When it happens well it happens. You can't put a date on it. Player power is very strong esp. with strong personalities as u'd expect to find in a senior national team, and I could see Parra being one of them because he and others will want take control of their own destiny and play the way they think best suits them and the team. Very hard to go agst that once it sets in. And dont forget PSA doesn't spend enough time with the players to properly manage this kind of situation. A club coach could nip that in the bud because he has enough time, but in a selection... I agree about stability in the group but PSA doesn't bring that to the side, his mismanagment of the discipline issue and Thrin Duc is not in his favour. I think he will lose the players eventually.

your description of scoring a try agst a defensive pair like BOD & Darcy is hilarious "pass left, maybe another pass left again, try. Easy as that." :rofl:Does he need close his eyes and make a wish as he passes the ball as well??

well then laugh as much as you want about that if it's hilarious, no sweat. But in the meantime watch the vid again, his pass is an utter disaster, was unforced and a basic Rugby skill:

If you can't agree that's a big mistake on his part, then it's your knowledge of Rugby that's dearly at stake, not mine.
It's not the first time he botched a very makeable pass, and it's not the last unfortunately. He's a "coffre à balon", a "ball safe" anyways, he never makes the pass and when he does it's a blunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
That bastareaud non-try was almost an exact copy of Ashton's try vs the all blacks.
Only difference being Tuilagi made the pass after breaking through carter/mccaw whereas bastareaud launched the ball towards the posts instead. It was a clear run in (3 on 1?) if that pass had come off.

If only but you know what the FFR suits are like are i'm not sure they would not intervene, but what ever happens something has to give if the French team carry on like this, by the time the WC comes around we could struggle with Georgia (only joking) maybe write to Holland, he listens to almost anybody could possibly be with a chance, he could make PSA a minister or a Sec like Bernie Le Bolt was, excellent solution!!!!

That bastareaud non-try was almost an exact copy of Ashton's try vs the all blacks.
Only difference being Tuilagi made the pass after breaking through carter/mccaw whereas bastareaud launched the ball towards the posts instead. It was a clear run in (3 on 1?) if that pass had come off.

true. When you puncture through at midfield clean, most of the time, it's a matter of making one pass to the side and that's 7 points for you. It's not even that the pass didn't get through, it's how badly forward he threw it with relatively lots of time and little pressure. Monster blunder. No discussion to be had. Next topic.

well then laugh as much as you want about that if it's hilarious, no sweat. But in the meantime watch the vid again, his pass is an utter disaster, was unforced and a basic Rugby skill:

If you can't agree that's a big mistake on his part, then it's your knowledge of Rugby that's dearly at stake, not mine.
It's not the first time he botched a very makeable pass, and it's not the last unfortunately. He's a "coffre à balon", a "ball safe" anyways, he never makes the pass and when he does it's a blunder.

my rugby knowledge is put to the test every weekend. You've never even set foot on a rugby pitch. Never mind coach. Don't make me laugh waffling on about credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only but you know what the FFR suits are like are i'm not sure they would not intervene, but what ever happens something has to give if the French team carry on like this, by the time the WC comes around we could struggle with Georgia (only joking) maybe write to Holland, he listens to almost anybody could possibly be with a chance, he could make PSA a minister or a Sec like Bernie Le Bolt was, excellent solution!!!!

well the suits put him there so they can't sack him now. They dont do sacking anyway. If they did, they'd have to start with themsleves first ;). Nothing will change of course. Plus ça change...

Why was there so many forward passes ? Watching the video above I think there is about 3 in the first 26 minutes

Why was there so many forward passes ? Watching the video above I think there is about 3 in the first 26 minutes

i counted 2, one by Basta and one to Chouly leading to the (rightly) disallowed try. Nice to see Bastareau beat Kearney under the high ball 5:34, doesn't get beaten very often in this situation Kearney. Bastareau had a fine game and good overall championship im tellin ya.

my rugby knowledge is put to the test every weekend. You've never even set foot on a rugby pitch. Never mind coach. Don't make me laugh waffling on about credibility.

Wait, what? Big E has never played the game? is that true?

Wait, what? Big E has never played the game? is that true?
yep. I played basketball as a teen. I only got really interested in Rugby during the 2011 RWC. Rugby had always been there in my life coz my dad loved and played it, my cousin plays...I watched a lot of the 2007 RWC for e.g. but didn't know much about the rules etc...I was a raging NBA fan up until 2011.
Then it hit me. Forwards at the breakdown working hard, backs silky running, impacts, tackling, all rough but still so gorgeously clean, the passing game, scrums, the logic in the rules...how had this sport been there my whole life without me seeing it for what it was.

But I'm way up-to-date now, and my having never played is to the utmost impertinence to the fact that Bastareaud has an enormous flaw in his game: passing. And that forward pass is one gigantic fkup, not just a fkup, a gigantic one. He makes the pass, we're 7 points ahead. Simply.

yep. I played basketball as a teen. I only got really interested in Rugby during the 2011 RWC. Rugby had always been there in my life coz my dad loved and played it, my cousin plays...I watched a lot of the 2007 RWC for e.g. but didn't know much about the rules etc...I was a raging NBA fan up until 2011.
Then it hit me. Forwards at the breakdown working hard, backs silky running, impacts, tackling, all rough but still so gorgeously clean, the passing game, scrums, the logic in the rules...how had this sport been there my whole life without me seeing it for what it was.

But I'm way up-to-date now, and my having never played is to the utmost impertinence to the fact that Bastareaud has an enormous flaw in his game: passing. And that forward pass is one gigantic fkup, not just a fkup, a gigantic one. He makes the pass, we're 7 points ahead. Simply.

It wasn't a criticism, I'm just surprised because you are very knowledgeable about the game in a way many people who played never are.

I agree about Basteraud, all he needed to do was turn his body give a good pass, it was shockingly bad.

It wasn't a criticism, I'm just surprised because you are very knowledgeable about the game in a way many people who played never are.

I agree about Basteraud, all he needed to do was turn his body give a good pass, it was shockingly bad.

I know man, I was answering FrenchFan again with that last paragraph.

And I have no claims about my supposed knowledge or lack thereof for this sport. I never bragged about anything, I talk about what I have enough info about. You'll never see me attempting an all-time XV, yet. Just as long as we talk when we have a fairly good idea about the topic, it's all good.
The worst is when you've got people who only go by clichés, like Rugby is all about mass, or England are a 10-man squad...

But thank you for the compliment. I pray to the gods and even offer small mammals as sacrifice so they can watch over me and nourish me with knowled....uhmm...I mean, thank you for the compliment. Full stop.

I don't think Ireland will be hugely depleted by O'Driscoll not being in the team anymore, obviously that aura they have as being a team with such a legend in it will be gone, but they've got plenty of talent in their squad to remain a force in world rugby, n to be competing at the top of the tree in the 6 nations, the main thought they have is who is going to replace o'driscoll? I think Luke Marshall will soon oust Darcy in the 12 shirt, but at 13 Schmits got some thinking to do. It's certainly an opportunity for likes of McFadden, Cave, Henshaw, even Tommy Bowe could come back into the squad and play there. It's a chance for them to stake a claim and make that jersey theirs for the next world cup. Will see what happens between now and then, and if Ireland can kick on from this years 6 nations success and keep progressing.
There's a part of me thinks they'll slip up a bit at next years 6 nations, but at the world cup I wouldn't count them out. They can certainly beat France in their pool match there.

People overrate the influence O'Driscoll has had over the past two seasons. I have full confidence that one of Cave, Henshaw or Payne would be capable of stepping up.

I don't see payne as a long term 13 option because of his age I think, henshaw is a more physical player and will add another edge to the Ireland attack. Cave is the safe option who would fit in quickly and should also get some time.

He's a massive loss. He's irreplaceable. His legs have gone and he's a good five years past his best, and yet last week vs Italy you saw a game that was very tight until he opened it up with two beautiful hand offs for the first half tries. Then his last action was another deft flick to set up a third.

What he does he makes look easy, but if it were that easy others would do it...they dont. I fear Ireland will become predictable again as we were pre O'Driscoll...matching teams with workrate, desire etc but lacking the creative cutting edge. With a smaller pool of players to choose from the liklihood of unearthing a gem is that bit more remote.

Latest posts