• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup Jerseys

Maybe we realise sport isn't that important? For you, it's either that or sheep. :p

The hideous silver jerseys they wore in 2007 ****** a lot of fans off, so much so that those jerseys were never worn again
I will think you'll find that it was because New Zealand were knocked out of the world cup whilst wearing that jersey that it has never been worn again. Not just because they were knocked out of a world cup that they were sure to win, but because of the manner that they were knocked out in as well. Also another reason why New Zealand do not feel the need to change their black jersey is because of their nick-name 'ALL BLACKS'. No other nation has such a great association with a colour as New Zealand do.

I will think you'll find that it was because New Zealand were knocked out of the world cup whilst wearing that jersey that it has never been worn again.

Utter ********, it has nothing to do with losing the quarter final

There was universal disdain at the silver jersey when it was first released six months before the 2007 RWC. Sales were virtually non-existent, so slow in fact, that Adidas could no longer justify making it and had stopped production prior to the beginning of the tournament. Additionally, tens of thousands of jerseys were destroyed before the All Blacks ever wore it for the first time (v Scotland), when it became apparent that no-one wanted to buy it.

Its the same with the Crusaders horrible "platinum" jersey, and the Hurricanes "away grey". Very poor sales so hopefully they will be dropped for next year.

Even Manchester United tried the "Grey" jersey.in 1995/96. It lasted five and a half games before being dumped two years ahead of schedule.

No other nation has such a great association with a colour as New Zealand do.

Really. You tell that to a South African.....ever heard the expression "My bloed is groen",

Last edited:
As long as the home strip is predominantly white, I don't really care what the change strip looks like.

When did England have a Red & Yellow kit?

As long as the home strip is predominantly white, I don't really care what the change strip looks like.

When did England have a Red & Yellow kit?

PDR010009004.jpg

In the Sevens, this year, and I think at least part of last year.

Utter ********, it has nothing to do with losing the quarter final

Really. You tell that to a South African.....ever heard the expression "My bloed is groen",

I would say that losing the quarter final was a factor and when I spoke about New Zealand having such an association with a colour was down to their nick-name. They simple couldn't change the colour because imagine calling New Zeland the All Blacks when their home strip isn't black......

Its weird how the welsh kit is growing on me. Quite like the under armour on the neck bit. Still won't buy it for 90 quid, but im sure it'll look quite cool on TV :p

Same on both the points of liking it more now and not willing to pay that price :p. I popped into JJB on a work break the other day saw the black and red one there I like it alot now tbh, collar doesnt bother me Im just gonna wait till after the WC and hope they have some there reduced :p Would rather the WC as the admiral logo on the "old" home kit is peeling a bit <.<

I would say that losing the quarter final was a factor and when I spoke about New Zealand having such an association with a colour was down to their nick-name. They simple couldn't change the colour because imagine calling New Zeland the All Blacks when their home strip isn't black......

It may have been a very minor factor, but the fact is that Adidas took the decision to halt production of the silver jersey before the tournament even began, so the jersey was already a dead duck before quarter final. Therefore, the quarter-final loss could not have influnced them... and if you aren't making the jersey any more, it makes it somewhat difficult to outfit a team in them... ergo, the jersey was not worn again.

I find it remarkable that a lot of England fans seems to have so little pride in their jersey, that they just roll over and allow this to happen without protest...a black jersey with red trim... whatever next, a purple jersey... oops, they used that already. How about a red and yellow jersey... oh dear, thats been used as well!!.

I can tell you what would happen if the NZRU decided that the All Blacks would wear green or blue jerseys.... bloody revolution!! The hideous silver jerseys they wore in 2007 ****** a lot of fans off, so much so that those jerseys were never worn again, and the alternate strip has been redesigned back to the traditional white with black shorts.

Earlier this year, there was serious suggestion that the All Blacks would have a red fern on their black jerseys instead of the usual silver fern; in solidarity with Canterbury as it copes with its earthquake troubles. There was universal outrage among NZ rugby fans... mostly from Canterbury, and the whole thing was dropped.

Its not that we don't have pride in our jersey, its just that we aren't as bothered as some other nations are. For me, this epitomises England rugby:
rose.png

As long as that is on the shirt and at least not changed massively, then it will mean as much to me as any other jersey. In fact, I only own one England jersey because I don't feel the need to update myself with a new jersey every year or two, because the symbolism isn't going to change from one to the other.

There is no hiding from the fact that New Zealand have a much closer affiliation to 100% black jerseys than any other nation. Heck, Adidas don't even put the white stripes on the sleeve like they do with any of their other kits because it just wouldn't be the 'All Blacks'. I can't think of any other nation who plays in black as their home strip, so therefore the use of a NZ away strip is a once in a blue moon situation. This is the same with any other team. England rarely have to switch to their away strip, and if they do it will only really be to give it publicity so it sells. We wore our away one against Australia last, and there wasn't even a colour clash. For that reason, I don't care what away strip they give us. I'm not naive enough to think that Nike aren't going to make us wear it once a year to get it to sell, but thats it. The rest of the time we will wear white - our colour.

Its not as if we've ditched our home colours of white and red and done this to NZ:
1christ-middle-finger-300x298.jpg

I don't see this is as the issue it is being made out to be.

I find it remarkable that a lot of England fans seems to have so little pride in their jersey, that they just roll over and allow this to happen without protest...a black jersey with red trim... whatever next, a purple jersey... oops, they used that already. How about a red and yellow jersey... oh dear, thats been used as well!!.

I'm not english etc. but it mainly boils down to the Home kits stay the same colour aka White for England, Red for Wales, Black for NZ etc. As long as they are "the norm" then it doenst bother me in the slightest what the change kits are for all I care the Wales change strip could be every colour in the world in 1 kit (would look fugly) but I don't really care as the home kit (what they will use the most) is still red..

Wales and Canadas away shirts are also black. Where are all the Kiwis moaning about that ???
As soon as the english wear black.... ****ING RIOT!!!!!!
They will only ever wear it in friendlies to boost sales, and against Fiji, USA and Argentina in the world cup.

Our Home shirt which we will wear for most internationals will be white.
So dont worry.
As for the Maori patterns on the training gear, its a celebration of the WCup being in NZ.

Plus NZRU are fine with it so everyone chill out!

I guess my problem with all these alternate strips is that I am an old fashioned traditionalist. I believe teams should always wear their traditional colours and should only change when there is an actual clash of colours, eg. Wales v Tonga, Australia v Romania, France v Italy. And even then, the home team should change e.g. New Zealand in white jerseys v Scotland in NZ; Scotland in all white v New Zealand in Scotland.

Instead, we have

England in Red & Yellow, or Black or Purple when their traditional colours are Red & White
France in a Navy blue when its traditional colour is French Royal Azure
Wales in Yellow and/or black when it traditional colours are Red and Green (yes, I know about the Cross of St. David)

To me, this all seems wrong. Its nothing more than sham... a market ploy to sell kit, and a lot of people appear to be sucked in by it.

Smartcooky as I've said before one of the original Wales shirts was black (at least thats what they said I'm not sure) thats why the 125th commemorative shirt was black... We haven't had a green change kit since 2005 I think it was, that was white with a bit of green..

I guess my problem with all these alternate strips is that I am an old fashioned traditionalist. I believe teams should always wear their traditional colours and should only change when there is an actual clash of colours, eg. Wales v Tonga, Australia v Romania, France v Italy. And even then, the home team should change e.g. New Zealand in white jerseys v Scotland in NZ; Scotland in all white v New Zealand in Scotland.

Instead, we have

England in Red & Yellow, or Black or Purple when their traditional colours are Red & White
France in a Navy blue when its traditional colour is French Royal Azure
Wales in Yellow and/or black when it traditional colours are Red and Green (yes, I know about the Cross of St. David)

To me, this all seems wrong. Its nothing more than sham... a market ploy to sell kit, and a lot of people appear to be sucked in by it.

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head there. Personally, I have never felt the urge to buy an away Rugby Jersey. It is a 100% commercial decision. England and NZ could probably go years and years without ever needing to wear an away strip, but that fact is that there are many people who are, as you say, sucked in to buying alternate jerseys. Also, there are people do buy them because they like them. I'm personally not that bothered. Rugby is now a professional sport, and rapidly growing worldwide. Clothing companies would be silly to miss an opportunity to make more money by flogging another shirt, just as is done in football with some teams now having 4th strips in the Premiership. The thing is because new alternate shirts are bought out nearly every year now, they need to be different enough from the last so fans can justify buying a totally new design/colour scheme, instead of a slightly tweaked shirt with the same colours.

Thats it really. It may be a shame to some, but its a business as well as a sport now.

Let me get this right...

Wales release a black change shirt - Nothing is said
Scotland release a black shirt - Nothing is said
England release a black change shirt - New Zealand in unison shout "****in' BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Righto...

Latest posts