World Cup Jerseys

Scotland release a black shirt - Nothing is said

Scotland wear a navy blue shirt not a black shirt, get your facts right

obj6681737

Scotland wear a navy blue shirt not a black shirt, get your facts right

obj6681737

Scotland-Rugby-World-Cup-Jersey-2011.jpg

Looks pretty black to me...

...and didn't the ABs adopt a white away kit a couple of years ago? Don't they still wear one now? Am I making this up, or do I just not remember it because of the distinct absence of precious rugby journalists with no real material to work with and groups of fans who will seemingly be outraged at anything the NZHerald tells them to?

Let me get this right...

Wales release a black change shirt - Nothing is said
Scotland release a black shirt - Nothing is said
England release a black change shirt - New Zealand in unison shout "****in' BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Righto...

I don't think anyone is seriously objecting to England wearing black for a game where their colours clash with the team they are playing. Teams have to have an alternate strip, and since there are about a hundred national teams and less than a dozen colours (if you call white, black, grey and pink colours) that strip is always going to have to be something that another team plays in.

The biggest objection is the wearing of the alternate strip when there is no colour clash and therefore no real need to do so. The All Blacks never wear anything other than black unless forced to do so by a colour clash, and I promise you, if Adidas have the AB's playing in, for example green, there will be blood!!!

...and didn't the ABs adopt a white away kit a couple of years ago? Don't they still wear one now? Am I making this up, or do I just not remember it because of the distinct absence of precious rugby journalists with no real material to work with and groups of fans who will seemingly be outraged at anything the NZHerald tells them to?

the picture you attached was just darker because of the light it was in, they play in dark blue, and always have done

don't buy NZ's anger about the England shirt being black, think of all the teams that play in black. Although I read there are some Maori things on the England shirt which unless Shontayne Hape was involved in designing it I'm not sure why they are there.

And looking back through recent history this has happened before ...

The Stormers "Men in Black" campaign upset NZ

so did Launceston calling themselves the "Cornish All Blacks"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/newzealand/3241228/All-Blacks-threaten-to-sue-Launceston-rugby-club-over-trademark-Rugby-Union.html

so did this too ...

30217_0_l.jpg

http://archive.kentonline.co.uk/images/news/30217_0_l.jpg

Maori designs are there because it's world cup kit, and the world cup is in New Zealand

Also, it looks boss, so I'm not complaining :p

Originally Posted by RTFT

The earliest I can personally recall the All Blacks wearing a white kit was 36 years ago, against Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are the worst pitch conditions I have ever seen!!! I could play in a Louisiana bayou, and expect a stronger surface.

Why doesn't England try their hand at a predominantly blue away kit? I guess similar to the blue of the National football team or would that create a stir?

I personally don't have an issue unless for some absurd reason they play each other and NZ will have to use an alternate strip and England to wear the black kit. England however will always be known as Red & White, and that's not going to change now cos' they've chosen to don a black away strip.

The papers here said the should NZ and England meet the teams would wear their traditional colours. Personally I couldn't care less what England or any other team wears.

I don't see "all the kiwi's" getting up in arms about it, the only reason I mentioned it was the rumor they will wear it. In app game leading up to and even durng the world cupseveral people hav stated they don't mind what the change strip is as long as the home colours stay the same.... Which for all intents and purposes it won't beas I said, not worried my self, imitation being the highest form of flatery and all, more interested in peoples thoughts if the above does happen

401_2494_1180.jpg

I also didn't know Cullen was playing 36 years ago
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SiZrOMxJP9U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SiZrOMxJP9U?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I also didn't know Cullen was playing 36 years ago</EMBED>

He actually said that was the earliest he can remember. The last time they wore a white jersey would have been during their third test against France in 2009. I think you will find that most New Zelanders don't care if any country has a black away strip. England, Wales, Fiji and Scotland have all had black strips at one point or another and providing it isn't the jersey they wear when the face the All Blacks, no one really cares. Personally I'd like to see countries cement a colour for an away strip. England's had Red & White, Black & Red, Purple and even Orange on their rugby representitive teams in the last 10 years. Wales has had Blue, Yellow and Black away strips. Even the All Blacks have changed between White and that god awful Adidas Grey. I just wish national jerseys weren't subject to the same kind of god-awful marketing ploy that club rugby has been subjected to in the last 15 years. National colours are supposed to actually mean something.

View attachment 1040

That's a pish picture. It's dark blue.

He actually said that was the earliest he can remember.
So he did, misread it.

The last time they wore a white jersey would have been during their third test against France in 2009. I think you will find that most New Zelanders don't care if any country has a black away strip. England, Wales, Fiji and Scotland have all had black strips at one point or another and providing it isn't the jersey they wear when the face the All Blacks, no one really cares. Personally I'd like to see countries cement a colour for an away strip. England's had Red & White, Black & Red, Purple and even Orange on their rugby representitive teams in the last 10 years. Wales has had Blue, Yellow and Black away strips. Even the All Blacks have changed between White and that god awful Adidas Grey. I just wish national jerseys weren't subject to the same kind of god-awful marketing ploy that club rugby has been subjected to in the last 15 years. National colours are supposed to actually mean something.

That's because (IMO) rugby is an [strike]amateur[/strike] "professional" sport, run in every union by equally old farts more interested in their gin and cliques, while the ruthless marketing men at the kit manufacturers, not to mention sponsors, know exactly how to take them for a ride following on from their experience doing the same thing in the soccer world.

The only winner from all this will be Nike, all this is publicity and interest from a supposedley simple thing as a Rugby shirt. I bet they're rubbing their hands at the potentail sales figures.

Nike you say? Those exemploary chaps who want to "Show our support of x team"?
nike-crowd_1523375c.jpg

Latest posts