• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Springbok B Team will play in the Tri-Nations?

funny! didn't they used to promote themselves as 'the worlds most reliable airline'???
Since they moved their maintenance overseas, they have gone down hill - though they haven't had any crashes.

Last edited:
The Bok team has been announced, on me foon so its a mission to find a link

Its pretty much as we expected, the only area that was up for debate was the loose trio, which consists of Ashley Johnson, Steggman, and Russouw/Smith (short term memory loss) with Deysel on the bench. Brussouw wasn't fit.

The line up:

15. Gio Aplon (13), 14. Bjorn Basson (4), 13. Juan de Jongh (6), 12. Wynand Olivier (32), 11. Lwazi Mvovo (2), 10. Morne Steyn (25), 9. Ruan Pienaar (47), 8. Ashley Johnson (debut), 7. Danie Rossouw (54), 6. Deon Stegmann (4), 5. Johann Muller (23), 4. Flip van der Merwe (10), 3. Werner Kruger (debut), 2. John Smit (c) (102), 1. Dean Greyling (debut)

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle (18), 17. CJ van der Linde (69), 18. Alistair Hargreaves (2), 19. Jean Deysel (1), 20. Charl McLeod (debut), 21. Adrian Jacobs (32), 22. Patrick Lambie (4)

The number of test caps are mentioned for each player as well in this

The line up:

15. Gio Aplon (13), 14. Bjorn Basson (4), 13. Juan de Jongh (6), 12. Wynand Olivier (32), 11. Lwazi Mvovo (2), 10. Morne Steyn (25), 9. Ruan Pienaar (47), 8. Ashley Johnson (debut), 7. Danie Rossouw (54), 6. Deon Stegmann (4), 5. Johann Muller (23), 4. Flip van der Merwe (10), 3. Werner Kruger (debut), 2. John Smit (c) (102), 1. Dean Greyling (debut)

16. Chiliboy Ralepelle (18), 17. CJ van der Linde (69), 18. Alistair Hargreaves (2), 19. Jean Deysel (1), 20. Charl McLeod (debut), 21. Adrian Jacobs (32), 22. Patrick Lambie (4)

The number of test caps are mentioned for each player as well in this

Could have been worse I suppose. We might sneak it or more likely, Aus would want to bury last week and we might get caught in the hole in the process. If they are overeager though we might make a game of it.

In tha backline I'd have really liked to see Lambie get a start but I guess PdV went for experience at 10, 12 and 15 rather.. still, Lambie has shown that he can manage the bigger pressure/occasions just fine. Olivier for me is the big let down. There are a number of centers back home that can feel hard done by, especially Doppies LaGrange IMO. I guess Olivier has been in the setup in the past and has a relationship with the coach so thats why he got picked to fill the gap. Lazy IMO. In a situation where you are fielding a B team you should embrace your part and let loose IMO. test your options rather than do damage control. I'd have gone for lambie at 12.

In the forwards Brussow's absence is the biggest let down. If he were there I'd almost back us for a win. As is I only hope we keep it respectable. Stegman is a liability; 9 easy points for the opposition while Johnson, even though he can have an impact, has zero defense. Well, I guess we have been carrying Spies in defense so why not Johnson.. just that 8, 9, 10 channel will probably be targeted heavily.... I'm actually pretty happy with the tight 5 under the circumstances. Depending on the way the game goes (who's the ref?) they might keep us in it. We have to really target the Aus breakdown to stand a chance though. Enter Pocock (who's probably licking his lips at facing Stegmann).... not confident. No Sharpe or Higginbotham though in starting XV for Aus, yay. Elsom is baggage at the moment.

Last edited:
typical SA bull%^# and lies. speaks volumes about their character in sport (poor old Hansie). aus and nz make a go of it and will produce some rugby worth watching while SA will PROTECT their "best" players for the RWC. harden the F&*^ UP. absolutely pathetic... they deserve to lose this years WC with an attitude to sports like this.

by the way, gr8 forum.

Except for Olivier, that looks like a pretty good backline.

The main problem I see is the backrow. Rossouw is too old and Stegmann too young to cover Johnson's lack of defense and breakdown work. Pocock will dominate them surely and get a lot of turnovers.

typical SA bull%^# and lies. speaks volumes about their character in sport (poor old Hansie). aus and nz make a go of it and will produce some rugby worth watching while SA will PROTECT their "best" players for the RWC. harden the F&*^ UP. absolutely pathetic... they deserve to lose this years WC with an attitude to sports like this.

by the way, gr8 forum.

***facepalm***

by the way, gr8 forum.

Jas, we's resting our injuries players an weev sent our B teem to break your playerz appaart and make youz soft for da wurld cups. We do dis cause were can get away wid it. NZ saying they is gonna rest theyr Crusaders can do as well cause they have good backup not or Aussie cause they have none else who can play the rugby then dese guys. llook what happen with Samao..

Except for Olivier, that looks like a pretty good backline.

The main problem I see is the backrow. Rossouw is too old and Stegmann too young to cover Johnson's lack of defense and breakdown work. Pocock will dominate them surely and get a lot of turnovers.

That's it in a nutshell I guess. Here's hoping the big occasion causes Johnson to suddenly put some effort in his defensive and breakdown work LOL. He's a big lad with some pace, I'm sure he could make a big impact (excuse the pun) in these areas if he wants to.

What has happened to H.Brussow the flanker? I remember watching him for SA and he was great, stealing balls, disrupting everything.
[h=1][/h]

What has happened to H.Brussow the flanker? I remember watching him for SA and he was great, stealing balls, disrupting everything. [h=1][/h]

Got injured in 2010 in S14, missed the rest of the year and the start of this one, came back, owned, helping the cheetahs win their first away game against the Waratahs in Sydney, got injured again, missed the rest of S15 and didn't make the fitness test for this match although he was close. Essentially they didn't want to risk him again as he was probably rushed back from injury at the start of the season already; doctor has the last say as PdV really wanted Brussow back. Me too LOL but if he's not 100% then oh, well nothing anybody can do about it. He'll probably play the 2 matches of 3N in SA in just under a month's time though. Him, FdP and whoever our fullback ends up being will be the keys to SA's sucess/failure at this year's RWC.

Last edited:
Shame haven't followed him or the Cheeta's but hope he's fit in time then, great player.

I love the way Ulster have the same number of players in the touring side as Western Province :)

Latest posts