Friday, 9 October 2020

0votoCs.png
Er9w71N.png
N3MsRxF.png

Venue: Jonsson Kings Park
Time: 19:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Sharks:
15. Manie Libbok, 14. JP Pietersen, 13. Lukhanyo Am (captain), 12. Marius Louw, 11. Werner Kok, 10. Curwin Bosch, 9. Sanele Nohamba; 8. Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7. Phepsi Buthelezi, 6. James Venter, 5. Hyron Andrews, 4. Ruben van Heerden, 3. Thomas du Toit, 2. Dylan Richardson, 1. Ox Nche.

Reserves: 16. Dan Jooste, 17. Mzamo Majola, 18. John-Hubert Meyer, 19. JJ van der Mescht, 20. Mpilo Gumede, 21. Grant Williams, 22. Jeremy Ward, 23. Thaakir Abrahams.

Lions: 15. EW Viljoen; 14. Jamba Ulengo, 13. Burger Odendaal, 12. Dan Kriel, 11. Rabz Maxwane; 10. Elton Jantjies (capt.), 9. Dillon Smit; 8. Len Massyn, 7. Vincent Tshituka, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Marvin Orie, 4. Willem Alberts, 3. Carlu Sadie, 2. Jaco Visagie, 1. Sti Sithole.

Reserves: 16. Jan-Henning Campher, 17. Dylan Smith, 18. Wiehahn Herbst, 19. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 20. MJ Pelser, 21. Hacjivah Dayimani, 22. Morné van den Berg, 23. Gianni Lombard, 24. Wandisile Simelane, 25. Ruan Dreyer.

Saturday, 10 October 2020

5axbS4W.png
Er9w71N.png
gmMdPGA.png

Venue: Toyota Stadium
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Toyota Cheetahs:
15. T Clayton Blommetjies, 14. Malcolm Jaer, 13. Benhard Janse van Rensburg, 12. Frans Steyn, 11. Rosko Specman, 10. Tian Schoeman, 9. Ruan Pienaar (capt), 8. Jasper Wiese, 7. Junior Pokomela, 6. Andisa Ntsila, 5. Walt Steenkamp, 4. Carl Wegner, 3. Luan de Bruin, 2. Reinach Venter, 1. Charles Marais.

Reserves: 16. Louis van der Westhuizen, 17. Boan Venter, 18. Erich de Jager, 19. JP du Preez, 20. Chris Massyn, 21. Aidon Davis, 22. Tian Meyer, 23. William Small-Smith.

sMF6Yxy.png
Er9w71N.png
w526vS5.png

Venue: Loftus Versfeld
Time: 19:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Vodacom Bulls:
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Travis Ismaiel, 13. Stedman Gans, 12. Cornal Hendricks, 11. David Kriel; 10. Morne Steyn, 9. Ivan van Zyl; 8. Tim Agaba, 7. Arno Botha (captain), 6. Marco van Staden, 5. Ruan Nortje, 4. Jason Jenkins, 3. Trevor Nyakane, 2. Corniel Els, 1. Jacques van Rooyen.

Replacements: 16. Johan Grobbelaar, 17. Lizo Gqoboka, 18. Mornay Smith, 19. Sintu Manjezi, 20. Elrigh Louw, 21. Embrose Papier, 22. Chris Smith, 23. Marco Jansen van Vuren.

Griquas: 15. Anthony Volminck; 14. Daniel Kasende, 13. Haarlon Klaasen, 12. Andre Swarts, 11. James Verity-Amm, 10. George Whitehead, 9. Zak Burger, 8. Niell Jordaan, 7. Stefan Willemse, 6. Carl Els, 5. Victor Sekekete, 4. Ian Groenewald, 3. John-Roy Jenkinson, 2. HJ Luus, 1. Mox Mxoli.

Reserves: 16. Alandre van Rooyen, 17. Bandisa Ndlovu, 18. Madot Mabokela, 19. Adre Smith, 20. Zandre Jordaan, 21. Gideon van der Merwe, 22. Ashlon Davids, 23. Berton Klaasen, 24. Mzwanele Zito, 25. Johan Momsen, 26. Bjorn Basson.

**For those of you who are wondering why some teams have more reserves than the other teams. It's because of the COVID-19 testing being done before the match. The away teams are allowed to name more players, in case one of the players tests positive before the game and has to be replaced.**

Last edited:
Sharks to spank the Lions
Cheetahs to spank the pumas
Bulls to spank the Griquas

Sharks to spank the Lions
Cheetahs to spank the pumas
Bulls to spank the Griquas

I don't think the Sharks vs. Lions will be such a spanking though. The Lions got some good players in during the lockdown period, and I for one hope that Jaco Kriel will be available to play.

Plus the Sharks have a lot of injuries at the moment and won't be the same team they were during the Super Rugby tournament earlier this year. I'll wait for the team selections before I make a prediction.

Sharks
Cheetahs
Bulls

Here's some interesting win % information I copied from the Super Rugby Unlocked newsletter email.

1602044313588.png

Last edited:
The table is relevant thanks. Especially since it will only be derbies now. But once we count all matches (even those against foreign opposition in Super rugby from all time) then the Bulls and Stormers percentage goes down and the Sharks overtakes them both.

Such a weird name for a tournament. Still, glad to see rugby on our shores.

Now that I've seen the teams, I think the Sharks vs. Lions game could be a lot closer. That Lions backline could be very potent if they click, and with Jaco Kriel and Willem Alberts in the pack, they can have some real grunt up front.

The Bulls team is basically the same team that started against the Sharks 2 weeks ago, with a few changes in the forwards, and just Arendse making way for Kriel. I think the Griquas are in for a tough day at the office.

I think the Bulls vs Griquas game might also be a lot closer. Griquas can never be underestimated. I can see them coming hard at us from the get go.

If the Bulls can establish early rhythm and not let the game get too unstructured, then it will be a long evening for the Griquas. But I can see the Griquas being very motivated for this match, and they also boast some good players.

Hopefully we can surprise them and unsettle them early. The longer Griquas is able to stay in the contest, the more confidence they will build.

I think Jake White also wants to up the tempo in the second half if I look at the bench.

The new Bulls era is officially underway and I am optimistically excited !

I think the Bulls vs Griquas game might also be a lot closer. Griquas can never be underestimated. I can see them coming hard at us from the get go.

If the Bulls can establish early rhythm and not let the game get too unstructured, then it will be a long evening for the Griquas. But I can see the Griquas being very motivated for this match, and they also boast some good players.

Hopefully we can surprise them and unsettle them early. The longer Griquas is able to stay in the contest, the more confidence they will build.

I think Jake White also wants to up the tempo in the second half if I look at the bench.

The new Bulls era is officially underway and I am optimistically excited !

I actually hope it gets unstructured. With Hendricks, Gans and Aplon in the backline with 7's experience, as well as Agaba, if this game gets loose, these guys can show off some skills. I personally think the Griquas would much rather want to keep it structured. That's what kept them in the warm-up games against the cheetahs...

I actually hope it gets unstructured. With Hendricks, Gans and Aplon in the backline with 7's experience, as well as Agaba, if this game gets loose, these guys can show off some skills. I personally think the Griquas would much rather want to keep it structured. That's what kept them in the warm-up games against the cheetahs...
I have not seen the warm-up games between the cheetahs and griquas, so I can't comment on that.

I also understand the point you are making and it does have merit to it. However, we let the sharks score some easy tries 2 weeks ago when the game became unstructured, but I do concede that in that period, the whole team was basically subbed.

Perhaps we will start structured and squeeze the griquas while building a lead, and then when the game gets unstructured due to the griquas becoming desperate, then we can see those players' skills you just mentioned.

I have just watched too many Bulls games to know that they seem to lose focus and allow the opposition back into the game when it gets too loose.

Time will tell I guess and structured or unstructured, hopefully it is an entertaining match !

I have not seen the warm-up games between the cheetahs and griquas, so I can't comment on that.

I also understand the point you are making and it does have merit to it. However, we let the sharks score some easy tries 2 weeks ago when the game became unstructured, but I do concede that in that period, the whole team was basically subbed.

Perhaps we will start structured and squeeze the griquas while building a lead, and then when the game gets unstructured due to the griquas becoming desperate, then we can see those players' skills you just mentioned.

I have just watched too many Bulls games to know that they seem to lose focus and allow the opposition back into the game when it gets too loose.

Time will tell I guess and structured or unstructured, hopefully it is an entertaining match !

Well this will be our first competitive match under Jake White. If there is any coach that can play a srtuctured game, and suck the life out of the opposition, it's under his guidance.

Last of the warm up games. How long do we all have to wait to see WP get out there!

ESPN+ isn't carrying Super Rugby Unlocked which is weird because they streamed Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU. So I won't be able to watch it with you guys. :(

Go Cheetahs!
1602283378095.png

Was impressed with the Griquas, wonder if the can take the Kings place in international competitions?

Saw highlights of the 3 games some good and bad patches (as you expect in 1st round games) but going to be some quality rugby as players get some match fitness .The jersey clash in the bulls game reminded me of the super rugby (highlanders vs bulls?) match and felt sorry for the match officials till they fixed it at half time.Also fan of the super hero jerseys(Lions spider man one the best).Sharks had lucky win but they will take it and cheetahs win was high scoring and entertaining.Look forward to round two.

Saw highlights of the 3 games some good and bad patches (as you expect in 1st round games) but going to be some quality rugby as players get some match fitness .The jersey clash in the bulls game reminded me of the super rugby (highlanders vs bulls?) match and felt sorry for the match officials till they fixed it at half time.Also fan of the super hero jerseys(Lions spider man one the best).Sharks had lucky win but they will take it and cheetahs win was high scoring and entertaining.Look forward to round two.

That was so frustrating in the first half. So many passes to the opposing team which even led to tries. But I blame the Bulls for this mishap. They are so used to play the Griquas in their light blue bulls kit, that there is a big difference in colours when they play. But this was Super Rugby, and the Griquas doesn't have an alternative kit, so the Bulls should've thought of that before the game. Plus they were the home team, and were supposed to be prepared for such an issue, just like the Super Rugby match against the Highlanders.

As for the matches. The handling in those games were at times very poor, and I hope that improves as the players get more match fit. But overall the quality of the games were better than I expected. Even the Pums launching somewhat of a comeback in the second half against the Cheetahs after they were 41-3 behind at half time. And the Griquas were in the lead for 60 minutes!!

This weekend the Sharks have a bye and the Stormers kicks off their campaign. I'll try and do the match thread a little bit later today...

That was so frustrating in the first half. So many passes to the opposing team which even led to tries. But I blame the Bulls for this mishap. They are so used to play the Griquas in their light blue bulls kit, that there is a big difference in colours when they play. But this was Super Rugby, and the Griquas doesn't have an alternative kit, so the Bulls should've thought of that before the game. Plus they were the home team, and were supposed to be prepared for such an issue, just like the Super Rugby match against the Highlanders.

As for the matches. The handling in those games were at times very poor, and I hope that improves as the players get more match fit. But overall the quality of the games were better than I expected. Even the Pums launching somewhat of a comeback in the second half against the Cheetahs after they were 41-3 behind at half time. And the Griquas were in the lead for 60 minutes!!

This weekend the Sharks have a bye and the Stormers kicks off their campaign. I'll try and do the match thread a little bit later today...
Agreed. The quicker the Bulls get a new jersey besides the marvel one the better.

What was your take on the Bulls match ?

It felt as if we just couldn't get rhythm to do anything. Griquas slowed the game down tremendously and one could see that they were better prepared and had a better idea of their gameplan than we did.

Still, I will take this result with both hands as I think that the Bulls team from last year would've given up on this game as soon as Anthiny Volmink scored his intercept try. So it was nice to see the Bulls fighting till the end.

It was a pity that Chris Smith didn't get an opportunity. Steyn only made an impact in the final 20 minutes with his game management, which is good, but I do want to see Chris Smith getting a fair opportunity as well. Same with Papier. He deserves more than 10 minutes and he brought a lot of energy when he came on.

It's going to be interesting to see how Jake learns from this game and how he prepares for the Cheetahs, because based on current form, the Cheetahs are definitely favourites for Friday and we will be in for another helluva game.

Saw the start of the sharks game, they looked pretty good, surprised to see the result was so close. Libbok looked good, what's his story, is he the real deal?

Latest posts