• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players deserve a Star/impact player status in 2012?

I reckon sbw is an impact player. His offload is devastating and his running games not to bad either

Argentina

Star:
Juan Martin Hernandez
Felipe Contepomi

Impact:
Juan Fernandez Lobbe
Patricio Albacete
Juan Manuel Leguizamon
Agustin Creevy

I reckon sbw is an impact player. His offload is devastating and his running games not to bad either

Sonny Bill is the most overrated player ever! His player stats and ratings mustn't be confirmed until as late as possible... He's a solid player with a very unique (off-load) ability but he hasn't done enough to be considered a star just yet. Although he performed well against Scotland, he as pretty absent when playing Wales, i think thats mostly because they are a good side and were able to shut him down alot better.
Don't get me wrong... I hope that his game keeps improving and that he becomes a star player, but he's not there yet. I'd still much prefer Richard Kahui or Isreal Dagg as impact players to come off the bench as they have shown that they are impact players (against quality opposition like Aussie, South Africa) as both of them have an incredible running game and they are much quicker than SBW.

One thing i would like to see SBW do is instead of going into a tackle with the intention of throwing the offload is to back his massive frame and start breaking tackles! He's bigger than Nonu so surely he could bust a few tackles...
At this stage Nonu is far superior in the no.12 jersey, Nonu's probably the best attacking no.12 in the world.

If a star rating were used, I'd rather it were reserved for those players who are near-indisputably the best in the world. This may not even constitute an entire XV. Were one to get a bit 'political' on selection, e.g. 15 players from each hemisphere etc etc, it would dampen the impact of true greats, and open up a needless discussion on "if X is there, why not Y; if only by virtue of his homeland". Certainly there could be a non-disclosed second tier of talented players, who could (and often would) have their 'moments', but what I would throughly relish is the challenge of tactically nullifying a Dan Carter or a David Pocock out of a match. Hence, I present (something of) a list of star players; the first tier:

(Caveat - I am only one man; as such, this list is entirely due its worthy criticism)
New Zealand:
Dan Carter
Richie McCaw
Brad Thorn

Australia:
David Pocock
James O'Connor

South Africa:
Victor Matfield
Juan Smith
Fourie du Preez

France:
William Servat

Ireland:
Jamie Heaslip
Tommy Bowe

Wales:
Adam Jones
James Hook

I already feel I've fallen into the trap of excluding many by including some (e.g. Servat without du Plessis or Mealamu; Heaslip and Read without Harinordoquy, or other loose forwards akin to Juan Smith, Rocky Elsom, Steven Ferris, Tom Croft...; a sheer rake of outside backs, egad!) Honestly, I'd be quite happy with a quintet of Carter-McCaw-Pocock-Matfield-Du Preez, but the nagging feeling that underlies the thrifty nature of human beings is that more.is.needed.

I'll leave it there.

I do agree with you, for a star player to be truely effective stars shouldn't be handed out willy nilly. I agree with you for Wales with Adam Jones, his main attribute could be for instance when Wales are up against in a scrum in their own 22 really put in a big push in the scrum and push the opposition back. Hook is also worthy of a star as arguably Wales' most creative player and perhaps Jamie Roberts should have a star his ability being able to break out of tackles (O'garas tackles lol) and smash through players.

scrap star players
just do ratings properly with most players being 60-70 (non internationals) 70-80 ( normal internationals) 80s good- very good - high 80's great internationals 90-s basicly dosnt happen unless your dan carter who could get say 91

scrap star players
just do ratings properly with most players being 60-70 (non internationals) 70-80 ( normal internationals) 80s good- very good - high 80's great internationals 90-s basicly dosnt happen unless your dan carter who could get say 91

Definitely agree here... there is no need for star players! just accurate ratings

scrap star players
I'd +5 to those, but yeah.

Star players seem a bit of a novelty, you don't seem them in FIFA.

Also, could we have proper ratings? How Catt got 90, Geraghty 89, and Simpson-Daniel an 87, while Mark Jones was 81 makes no sense.

Star players seem a bit of a novelty, you don't seem them in FIFA.

Also, could we have proper ratings? How Catt got 90, Geraghty 89, and Simpson-Daniel an 87, while Mark Jones was 81 makes no sense.

well with my rating system geraghty would be low 70's same with simpson-daniel mark jones would be in the 80's probaly low 80's though

Last edited:
France: Servat, Dusautoir, Parra, Jauzion
Argentina: Ledesma ( if he's in the game ), hernandez, fernandez lobbe

lome fatau 14 on the wing amazing used to play for the hurracaines glasgow warriors and samoa 36 now scored over 35 tries with glasgow amazing

well with my rating system geraghty would be low 70's same with simpson-daniel mark jones would be in the 80's probaly low 80's though

Yeah, Mark had a lot of pace (arguably more than Shane over 100m) but was certainly not as creative as Shane.
Also, no Aussie props above 70. Except Dunning, he would get about 80... in kicking.

I's still rate Al Baxter pretty highly... he just hasn't really had the greatest front row alongside him.

All the talk about ratings is kinda silly... I'm a New Zealander so my ratings will be slightly biast (in favour of Kiwi's) and everyone else from all over the world will be the same towards there favourite player/team...
I'd like to see the game, maybe not editable straight from the start but you could unlock say 50 stat points once you've finished the world cup or something... that way any players that are really underrated or have improved greatly can be tweaked slightly to boost there stats.

I's still rate Al Baxter pretty highly... he just hasn't really had the greatest front row alongside him.

All the talk about ratings is kinda silly... I'm a New Zealander so my ratings will be slightly biast (in favour of Kiwi's) and everyone else from all over the world will be the same towards there favourite player/team...
I'd like to see the game, maybe not editable straight from the start but you could unlock say 50 stat points once you've finished the world cup or something... that way any players that are really underrated or have improved greatly can be tweaked slightly to boost there stats.

Baxter tipifies everything wrong with australian props, no prop worth his salt will collapse the scrum on purpose, if you know props you know how much of an insult and a matter of pride it is when it comes to this....

Baxter tipifies everything wrong with australian props, no prop worth his salt will collapse the scrum on purpose, if you know props you know how much of an insult and a matter of pride it is when it comes to this....

I know props... and i may not agree with his tactics when he gets frustrated, but when he's playing well he's definitely a pretty imposing opponent.

He is the typical private school prop, not enough mongrel and when the going gets tough he takes the easy option. But sadly thats what is trained into them these days.

lome fatau 14 on the wing amazing used to play for the hurracaines glasgow warriors and samoa 36 now scored over 35 tries with glasgow amazing
Yup, he is a really good finisher...he takes the chances brilliantly.

Hope he plays for Manu Samoa this year :)
He, Pesamino, David Lemi
Three of the greatest finishers in history
(albeit Pesamino in sevens though)

Latest posts