• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Rugby game for 2012/2013?

SDP from SA

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Hi, I would like to know if there would be a new rugby game for ps3/Xbox/pc in 2012 and/or 2013:(:)

I wouldn't expect another one until the next RWC at the earliest. The lukewarm response to the current one might put them off in the future.

Yeah neither ***le was that well received, it really felt like we were given two half games, instead of one solid one. A potpourri of licensing issues, each one having some gameplay issues, although I thought Rugby Challange had a lot more problems in that regard while RWC had a scope that was just way to small to sustain interest. Rugby Challenge was Sidhe's first attempt at the code however, and this has to be taken into account.

Likewise on the League code I haven't heard anything, I know Sidhe are not interested at the moment in another League game so that would leave BigAnt to pick up the slack.

Last edited:
Yeah neither ***le was that well received, it really felt like we were given two half games, instead of one solid one. A potpourri of licensing issues, each one having some gameplay issues, although I thought Rugby Challange had a lot more problems in that regard while RWC had a scope that was just way to small to sustain interest.

Likewise on the League code I haven't heard anything, I know Sidhe are not interested in another Leaugue game so that would leave BigAnt to pick up the slack.

It's not so much a lack of interest as a change of direction with the series from HES.

Rugby Challenge was fairly well-received. I think we ended up averaging a score of about 70 % across platforms, which isn't too shabby for a niche sports ***le.

It's not so much a lack of interest as a change of direction with the series from HES.

Rugby Challenge was fairly well-received. I think we ended up averaging a score of about 70 % across platforms, which isn't too shabby for a niche sports ***le.

For your first attempt at the code it was a fairly good score, my word choice was poor in my post. I'll edit in a more balanced view.

Last edited:
I think if either of the games had a proper 'franchise' mode, with player form, proper rotation, player fatigue, signings manging training your team then that game would have been played for an age. The game play for both had problems and some people prefer one, some the other but with an extended mode people would have carried on playing.

Shame both ***les were so limited, i guess the sales of each product would be the deciding factor on if they can afford to do a sequel?

see between the two rugby challenges graphics were spot on but the thing was the commentators voices wer in australian and there was only like two stadiums and finally the only team who had lifelike people wer new zealand this ruined it for me.

while RWC 2011s graphics wernt as good it was a better all round game (even if they did miss manu tuilagi out ;P) at least there was a variaty of stadiums.

see between the two rugby challenges graphics were spot on but the thing was the commentators voices wer in australian and there was only like two stadiums and finally the only team who had lifelike people wer new zealand this ruined it for me.

while RWC 2011s graphics wernt as good it was a better all round game (even if they did miss manu tuilagi out ;P) at least there was a variaty of stadiums.

Two two Rugby Challenge ***les are entirely unrelated to one another.

i hope so. i dream of a day when they make a rugby game to the same standard as fifa.

I'm really hoping to see one game before the next World Cup... From what i've seen/heard Rugby Challenge has been pretty well received (in NZ) so hopefully Sidhe can bring out something maybe around the end of 2013 with a few more key licenses and some tweaks/refining done with the gameplay. Then a full blown RWC game from them in 2015.

I hope that HB stay far away from Rugby gaming, unless they get HEAPS more financial backing. Cause it was fairly obvious that RWC 2011 was a rehash of a game that is 6 years old and on last-gen consoles... If EA or 2K got onboard with them (highly unlikely) then that would be great but considering that Rugby Challenge is a far better game game in many aspects and it's Sidhe's first attempt at a rugby ***le i really hope that they continue to grow the franchise!

the game definately sold well in ireland.. the day after release i had to go to 5 different shops to find the game in stock it was totally sold out.. and surely it would be much much much easier for sidhe to make a follow up ***le since the groundwork is done all they have to do is tweak it, add more players, make the eu players actually look like them, get the licensing this year which will have no competion with rwc 2011, surely since the base game is completed it eould be far cheaper to bring out a sequel..

That's because there were barely any copies Game didn't even have enough to fill all the pre-orders!

So Tru BLu announced a new League ***le. The first RLL was the base for RC wasn't it? It looks sharp and it has a full career mode with a non restricted transfer system.

I dream of a day when i can play as the Saints, sort their training, players haev form and young ones get better and old ones get worse, unfitter, take longer to recover from games ect and play as england BUT loose my internationls for those games, make transfers. Every rugby game so far has done this completely half arsed!

If only.....

One of the things I didn't like about Rugby Challenge was how you could basically make a perfect player in character creation. You don't have to customize the player for his position. Also, the general discrepancy between the All-Blacks, who look basically spot-on, and the NH players, who look like a random assortment of features.

One of the things I didn't like about Rugby Challenge was how you could basically make a perfect player in character creation. You don't have to customize the player for his position. Also, the general discrepancy between the All-Blacks, who look basically spot-on, and the NH players, who look like a random assortment of features.

All the NH modes were tacked on afterthought and badly (lazily) done, but it achieved a few more sales which was their objective.

The EA games get it right with player creation - make an okay player from the off then play and earn points, or complete training modes and challenges, to improve their stats.

No no no, i want to be able to create a perfect player as thats my choice! The thing that was missing were specific stats like Scrummaging/ positioning so sticking a strong back at prop wopuldn't work as they would have a really low scrummagin stat.

Also just in general all rugby games have been rushed and lazy. It makes me think that the people who make them are generally not intersted in rugby, have never played fifa or a decent sports game or are jsut plain stupid.

No player form?
No player condition?
A carrier mode where you only buy players at the end of the season who still stay in the opposition team?
Any strong play can scrum?

Rugby challenge went backwards in many ways from RUgby 08 and Rugby World cup was rushed and boring.

I just want to have a decent rugby game!!!!

I like Rugby Challenge - think it was a good first attempt and I do play it still. But there are plenty that annoy me -

1. Biggest Issue - Licencing. It sucks that New Zealand/Australian players have amazing faces and everyone else looks like they were made from play-doh in comparrison (can't understand why players like Toby Morland have unique faces but Isaia Toeava doesn't). Having a half decent player editor doesn't change this - playing against South Africa is cringe worthy. One thing EA Rugby 06/08 did very well in comparrison is get the licencing to give players from at least 9 international teams unique and accurate likenesses. One of the biggest appeals of those rugby games from this forum's perspective was downloading faces made by talented modders (I see Uli is doing work on SIDHE forums for custom boots/headgear on the PC version). Future games need to have all international teams as licenced, at least the top 15. Also, if I want a player in the French League to play for Fiji, I don't expect licencing restrictions to prevent me from changing. It's my game and I should be allowed to do what I like with it - this restriction made me pretty ****** off.
2. Bugs. This game is still buggy like hell and no one seems to fix it. I play in SR in campaign mode - say with the Crusaders - and if I select Kahn Fotoalii as a replacement for Andy Ellis - it may mean I end up with 2 Kahn's on my screen, or two other players (one without a name) or just miss out on a halfback with DC playing there. It's mental. Players seem to duplicate (especially for some reason if they also are in a PI squad, Mo Schwalger, Fotoalii, Joe Tuineui all seem to duplicate and the problem never goes away no matter if I delete my saves records etc. The game also often crashes at the end of the game, meaning I have to delete game data. It's so buggy!
3.; Game play - why can no one from the opposition ever land a remotely tricky kick at goal, no matter the difficulty? No lasting or exciting career mode (something 06-08 did better).

There are quite a bit of positives though. I like how I can edit the passing and so on - so the million knock ons and dropped balls aren't as frequent. Sometimes I feel the gameplay from HB felt more like rugby and was a bit neater - Rugby Challenge can get pretty messy, but I think the graphics are extremely good and the gameplay has a lot of potential.

I hope that JLRC2 is launched, ideally without any competition that year so we can get licencing unrestricted. If DL content was made when HB Studios licencing agreement finished, to fix these problems I'd happily fork over some cash. Any idea Milla if a sequal is on the cards?

Latest posts