• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Just watched Julius Caesar: The Making of a Dictator on the iplayer. Pretty good 3 part documentary. Some pretty clear parallels were drawn to modern day events, highlighting the threat of a populist who gets a mob riled up all for their own gain, corruption and deceit.

Lost the point when they started having non sporting guests. Also probably nit helped when with social media we already know the personality of some sportspeople that likely all that would turn up in the show.
The point to me is that at some point, someone forgot that it was a sports quiz show rather than a sports-themed game show. This point was lost a long time before the time that non-sporting guests became a thing. I couldn't pinpoint when it jumped the shark, I would guess that it was around the time that Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell's "banter" became the focus of the show.

The point to me is that at some point, someone forgot that it was a sports quiz show rather than a sports-themed game show. This point was lost a long time before the time that non-sporting guests became a thing. I couldn't pinpoint when it jumped the shark, I would guess that it was around the time that Matt Dawson and Phil Tufnell's "banter" became the focus of the show.
I dunno I remember plenty of bantz from the Botham/Beaumont days and I was relatively a kid.

I think possibly in that era when they started having sports 'activities' instead of just quiz questions. Tuffers might be the main change I remember watching loads of Dawson, McCoist, Dettori, Parrott and not having and issue. I've definitely not seen any of it since Barker left as McGuiness just felt like completely the wrong person to be hosting.

I dunno I remember plenty of bantz from the Botham/Beaumont days and I was relatively a kid.

I think possibly in that era when they started having sports 'activities' instead of just quiz questions. Tuffers might be the main change I remember watching loads of Dawson, McCoist, Dettori, Parrott and not having and issue. I've definitely not seen any of it since Barker left as McGuiness just felt like completely the wrong person to be hosting.
I remember that there was some gentle back and forth between Beaumont and Botham, I don't know if I would term it "banter" in the modern (whooping and screaming) sense, particularly given that it was before the advent of lad culture and the resultant fetishisation of "banter".

I totally agree about McGuinness - appointing someone with little or no sports-presenting background to present a sports quiz was a clear statement of how those responsible saw the programme and what direction they intended to take it in. Maybe it's a pipedream, but it would be nice to think that this might be the beginning of a change in attitude to sports coverage, that has the confidence to place the sport itself at the forefront and cut the vain attempts to attract casual viewers with cliché and tedious comedy. If TNT could understand that rugby appeals to people other than the man-children in the James Haskell fan club, that would be just great. Mainstream football coverage is a great example of how to do it, companies just need to have the confidence that there will be an audience for less popular sports when they're presented seriously.

The Famous five: the curse of Kirrin Island. Watched it as I was Curious of the new version having read the books when I was a young lad. Based on the first book but changed a lot of the plot and made it more into an Indiana Jones children's adventure.

Mixed in terms of how I found it. Jack Gleeson was ok but a bit cartoonish as the villain. They made George mixed race and the leader, still set it in original war time but made the language up to date. Dick's a nerd with glasses.

I'm not a gamer*, so I've no idea what this is referencing, but I'm pleased to see this show is back in production

* I think it's from a game, not anime

Pokémon Concierge on Netflix
Only four episodes about 15-20 each,
Very much aimed at younger kids so don't expect much in the way of story but the art style is fantastic (stop motion/felted Pokémon)

Very wholesome, liked it a lot

I don't if its been mentioned previously, too many pages to look back through, but can really recommend "Kin" a Dublin based gang related family drama. Series i now on the BBC I-Player and the second series on other streaming platforms;)
Plenty of graphic violence, and excellent casting. Originally shown on Irish RTE channel.

I've been streaming Pluto.TV lately. It's free which is nice and they have many channels for different genres. And each genre has a lot of shows to choose from. And they have local and national news programming from around the USA and the UK as well. They also have movies live or on demand which is great too. 👍

Hoping for Vox Machina season 3 to be coming out soonish as seasons 1 and 2 were released in January.

I like that they included Biggar bollocking his team mate because Biggar couldn't catch the ball haha

Tbh I don't have high hopes for this series, and the trailer hasn't really gripped me.
Hope I'm wrong, though

Some really good sport documentaries on Netflix. I liked Captains on the Qatar WC. Helped having a great final which helped the narrative. However, they hardly featured England - apart from a brief interview with Bellingham (and he's not captain yet) and the France game.

I'm not a gamer*, so I've no idea what this is referencing, but I'm pleased to see this show is back in production

* I think it's from a game, not anime

Didnt know about this but the first season was great and i enjoyed the ending which is always nice. Looking forward to it.

Pokémon Concierge on Netflix
Only four episodes about 15-20 each,
Very much aimed at younger kids so don't expect much in the way of story but the art style is fantastic (stop motion/felted Pokémon)

Very wholesome, liked it a lot
My kids 1, i cant wait till he's older and likes pokemon so i can watch it with him 😉

Anyone else watching Traitors season 2? Love that show, normally hate stuff like it but really got into it and season 1

TRACKER starring Justin Hartley. Based on the book series The Never Game. 👍 Wednesday nights on CBS and Paramount + the following day.

Last edited:

Latest posts