• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Watched an episode and a half of shogun and really like it so far.

Very well made, good to look at. Plot is a very interesting piece of history.
So its alternate history but based heavilly on historical events.

Broadstrokes this is what was happening in Japan at the end of the Azuchi–Momoyama period going into the Edo Period.

Clavell departed from actual history enough that he renamed all the historical people with new characters but its clear who their analogues are.

So yeah its interesting because you do learn what was going on in that part of history in terms of politics but don't really learn anything in terms of how events transpired.

Looks epic, although White saviour complex. Not surprised it's divisive in Japan. Sadly I don't have access to FX.

Looks epic, although White saviour complex. Not surprised it's divisive in Japan. Sadly I don't have access to FX.
Have you read the book or its summary? Because anyone saying white savior complex clearly hasn't (this is a hill I've died on mulitiple times), its simply White POV character.

Disney+ UK

Yeah the last samurai it is not. Very much stranger in a strange land, but main character is a pawn so far.

Honestly I prefer this method it ceates more buzz and excitement.

The Macau plotline is new, well expanded but I'm hoping its mainly there to increase the threat Blackthorne represents to the Jesuits. In the book their making **** tons off the black ship and essentially leveraging massively on Japanese as their sole Western trading partner. If Blackthrone is allowed to survive and more trading partners open that lucrativity from a monopoly disappears.

The religious angle is still there but reality its about money.
Yeah I guess it's just personal preference. Formme spreading out a series I really enjoy over 2-3 months is just too long. Maybe there's a middle ground where they could double/triple drop on a weekly basis but whatever floats your boat. When you've abused drugs and alcohol as much as I have over the last 20 years your memory becomes somewhat impaired which is another reason I lean towards binging series over the course of a week.

Have you read the book or its summary? Because anyone saying white savior complex clearly hasn't (this is a hill I've died on mulitiple times), its simply White POV character.

Disney+ UK
No not read the books. The fact it needs to have white character in it to attract the western audience does say much and the Samurai sword fighting.

Have peeps watched Midnight Diner? No white characters in that. And has luscious Japanese food.

Going back to Japan in May. Will ask around if peeps are interested.

No not read the books. The fact it needs to have white character in it to attract the western audience does say much and the Samurai sword fighting.

Have peeps watched Midnight Diner? No white characters in that. And has luscious Japanese food.

Going back to Japan in May. Will ask around if peeps are interested.
The white guy is the main character? It's not like Clavell just chucked one in there to appeal to the West. He'd read about the first Englishman to sail to Japan who became a samurai.

??? Its a book based on the life of William Adams specifically as a POV to introduce Western audiences to the Japanese culture of the time as he would of.

Are you saying stories shouldn't give POV characters to introduce them to foreign concepts? We invalidate those stories entirely because of bad stories where that character is seen to save that culture or needs to lwad them to victory.

Going to science fiction,
Avatar that's a white savior story is clear has issues where the Na'vi need to follow Jake Sully to save the day and won't stand up themselves.
But something like Hellboy (2004) where John Meyers is principally the main POV character but literally has no impact on the story for the most part should not be done.
The white guy is the main character? It's not like Clavell just chucked one in there to appeal to the West. He'd read about the first Englishman to sail to Japan who became a samurai.
And Blackthorne in the book does nothing (actually probably less) than William Adams actually did as a matter of historical record.

No I am just being cynical. You know the only time western audiences are engaged in East Asian tv and cinema is when there is a white angle put on it or there's fighting involved. Bit like when they parachute an American actor into a British film or tv series to appeal to American audiences.

I am 3/4s through the first episode. At least the Japanese are speaking Japanese.

Anyone been watching Trigger Point on ITV?

Really enjoying it
Just finished watching Season 2 on ITV (they released it all on day one on ITV X but I've been waiting week by week)

Not quite as good as season 1 but still very very good

Definitely recommend watching it, only 6 episodes a season

Currently going through The Dynasty, about The New England Patriots. Very good if you're into sport documentaries.

No I am just being cynical. You know the only time western audiences are engaged in East Asian tv and cinema is when there is a white angle put on it or there's fighting involved. Bit like when they parachute an American actor into a British film or tv series to appeal to American audiences.

I am 3/4s through the first episode. At least the Japanese are speaking Japanese.
Parasite? Squid games? Spirited away etc?

Currently going through The Dynasty, about The New England Patriots. Very good if you're into sport documentaries.
Hadn't even heard of this one, but must definitely give it a watch! I wonder if they cover the Brady Bellichick breakdown in detail

For my sins I started the Halo tv series. the first season was a towering achievement of incompetence. One of the worst pieces of **** I've ever watched that has zero loyalty to the story of Halo. Season 2 already after a couple of episodes is way more solid. Has a long way to go to repairing the damage from season 1, but maybe on the right track.

Hadn't even heard of this one, but must definitely give it a watch! I wonder if they cover the Brady Bellichick breakdown in detail
It's on Apple TV, I just came by it by chance. It's one of those that gets two episodes per week released and it's not got that far yet.

Yes, to Parasite. But look at how Trump demeaned it at one of his rallies to the applause of his ignorant followers.
Squid games - wasn't a fan . A Korean Hunger games which didn't do it for me
Spirited Away - never watched.

But many more The superb Infernal affairs trilogy. Ignored by Hollywood until made into one film - the Departed which finally won Scorsese an Oscar. Tony Leung - never made a film in Hollywood.

Bruce Lee's disgraceful treatment by Hollywood, having to return to Asia and only recognised after his death with Enter the Dragon, which wasn't half as good as his other films.

Yes, to Parasite. But look at how Trump demeaned it at one of his rallies to the applause of his ignorant followers.
Squid games - wasn't a fan . A Korean Hunger games which didn't do it for me
Spirited Away - never watched.

But many more The superb Infernal affairs trilogy. Ignored by Hollywood until made into one film - the Departed which finally won Scorsese an Oscar. Tony Leung - never made a film in Hollywood.

Bruce Lee's disgraceful treatment by Hollywood, having to return to Asia and only recognised after his death with Enter the Dragon, which wasn't half as good as his other films.
Surely squid games is a Korean Battle Royale?

I would say these are just some exceptions that rather confirm the rule.
By the way,if you like Bong Joon-ho ("Parasite"), I can also recommend his thriller "Memories of Murder", not a masterpiece but still a pretty good neo-noir (for those who like this genre and this style).
And if we're talking about Korean cinema in general, I would also mention my favourite Kim Ki-duk and [less favourite but still very famous] Park Chan-wook - a Korean "must-watch",if we can call it like that. If you don't like cruel scenes,than you can start with Ki-duk's "Spring, Summer,Fall, Winter..and Spring" (but personally I prefer his cruel "Bad guy" and "Samaritan girl") and probably you've already seen a very famous Chan-wook's "Vengeance trilogy" (but I only like "Lady Vengeance" from this trilogy) or his weird [but interesting] "Handmaiden".
I started to "discover" Korean cinema now more and more, would be grateful if someone can recommend other movies as well

I would say these are just some exceptions that rather confirm the rule.
By the way,if you like Bong Joon-ho ("Parasite"), I can also recommend his thriller "Memories of Murder", not a masterpiece but still a pretty good neo-noir (for those who like this genre and this style).
And if we're talking about Korean cinema in general, I would also mention my favourite Kim Ki-duk and [less favourite but still very famous] Park Chan-wook - a Korean "must-watch",if we can call it like that. If you don't like cruel scenes,than you can start with Ki-duk's "Spring, Summer,Fall, Winter..and Spring" (but personally I prefer his cruel "Bad guy" and "Samaritan girl") and probably you've already seen a very famous Chan-wook's "Vengeance trilogy" (but I only like "Lady Vengeance" from this trilogy) or his weird [but interesting] "Handmaiden".
I started to "discover" Korean cinema now more and more, would be grateful if someone can recommend other movies as well
Don't watch much Korean cinema but Old Boy blew my mind first time I watched it

The Prestige should be higher. Tenet - lower.
These list are always very subjective

Tenet is about in the right place, The Prestige completely wrong one.

Oppenheimer is not number 1 probably mid-tier Nolan its just the one he's recognised for.

I'd argue his top 5 in no order are Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception, Interstellar and The Prestige

6,7,8 is Batman Begins, Oppenheimer and Dunkirk

Then its Tenet, Insomnia, The Dark Knight Rises

Following is the one I've not seen.