• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Nolan is very overated in my opinion. I'll give him Momento and dark knight but he makes a lot of dross as well.

Nolan is very overated in my opinion. I'll give him Momento and dark knight but he makes a lot of dross as well.
All very subjective of course, deffo overrated but I wouldn't say any of his films could be classed as dross. All at least competently made with decent cinematic elements.

Yeah I wouldn't say any of his films are dross and I wouldn't say he was overrated. Along with Dennis Villeneuve I'd say he's one of the more interesting "blockbuster" directors of his current generation.

I understand why his oeuvre isn't for everyone though.

Dunkirk is one of the worst films ever made

Maybe slightly hyperbolic but I feel it meets the dross threshold.

Dunkirk is one of the worst films ever made

Maybe slightly hyperbolic but I feel it meets the dross threshold.
This I just don't get? What's bad about it? Its not my favorite of his films. But technically its extremely competent telling the story of Dunkirk from Land, Sea and Air concurrently and intersections of that story but each using a diffrent timeframe as an air mission was far shorter than what was going on from the perspective of those on the beaches.

Like I don't care if the film didn't resonate with you but just from craft standpoint its genuinely outstand the film is coherent at all, most other film makers this would be an utter mess.

This I just don't get? What's bad about it? Its not my favorite of his films. But technically its extremely competent telling the story of Dunkirk from Land, Sea and Air concurrently and intersections of that story but each using a diffrent timeframe as an air mission was far shorter than what was going on from the perspective of those on the beaches.

Like I don't care if the film didn't resonate with you but just from craft standpoint its genuinely outstand the film is coherent at all, most other film makers this would be an utter mess.
I just found it incredibly boring. That's it really. I found it so uninteresting that I couldn't even appreciate any other potentially good aspect of the film. Kind of like Interstellar, Inception and most of his other films. I guess, for lack of a better phrase, I'd sum up a lot of his films as style over substance. Oppenheimer too, extremely dull

I just found it incredibly boring. That's it really. I found it so uninteresting that I couldn't even appreciate any other potentially good aspect of the film. Kind of like Interstellar, Inception and most of his other films. I guess, for lack of a better phrase, I'd sum up a lot of his films as style over substance. Oppenheimer too, extremely dull
Snyder is style over substance, Nolan is not ;)

But I get why people might find Dunkirk boring but compare it to 50 Shades of Grey which is both boring and a an actually poorly made film and its fine.

Going to have to really disagree about Inception which yeah no substance yeah that film is a heist film which ultimately about a man getting over grief of his wife's suicide which he essentially cause so he could see his kids again but might be loosing his grip on what is reality like she did.

Interstellar is talking about the hope of science and space explorations and the betterment of us all, as well a fathers bond with his child. Like after the water planet where he was watch his kids grow old and he's just missed their lives in a matter of hours that's proper cinema right there. The film has a lot to discuss and talk about.

I think Tenant is probably his worst film to be fair. I could t even get past the first half hour.
Tenet's the one where I think the style over substance argument is fair. I also don't think the storytelling in the final sequence is coherent at all.

I liked the film enough but it was the first I walked out of, of his and went "that really wasn't for me" I think he wasn't too sure what he was doing beyond the concept.

Tenet's the one where I think the style over substance argument is fair. I also don't think the storytelling in the final sequence is coherent at all.

I liked the film enough but it was the first I walked out of, of his and went "that really wasn't for me" I think he wasn't too sure what he was doing beyond the concept.
Yeah, felt like he just really wanted to do some reverse action scenes.

I find the way he edits films very grating as well. Can jump all over the place but that's a personal preference obviously. I also really struggle to hear dialogue in a lot of his films and I feel like an old man screaming "turn it up"'at the TV.

I liked Tenet, but i prefer Nolan's sci-fi and super hero films more than say The Prestige and Momento. When i saw Tenet it was pandemic time and me and the other half were the only two in the screening, which probably made it better.

Then again i hated The Dark Knight Rises and think The Batman is as good if not better than Batman Begins.

Interstellar over Inception purely on that i prefer Matthew McConaughey's role in the story than DiCaprio's in his.

Dunkirk could have done with more people on the beaches in wide shots and why did Harry Styles need to be in it but that's about my only gripes. It has ww2 fighter planes and love it for that.

Last edited:
Don't watch much Korean cinema but Old Boy blew my mind first time I watched it
Yes,yes, Old Boy is a famous movie from Chan-wook's "Vengeance trilogy" :) that's why I wrote that "probably you've already seen" it.They are producing very good thrillers in Korea.
Recently watched two seasons of Fincher's "Mindhunter", that's good, I recommend to everyone. Very sad that they stopped the show on the second season, just having a bitter taste because of it (they really had everything to make the series even more popular with the 3rd season,but... unfortunately).

These list are always very subjective

Tenet is about in the right place, The Prestige completely wrong one.

Oppenheimer is not number 1 probably mid-tier Nolan its just the one he's recognised for.

I'd argue his top 5 in no order are Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception, Interstellar and The Prestige

6,7,8 is Batman Begins, Oppenheimer and Dunkirk

Then its Tenet, Insomnia, The Dark Knight Rises

Following is the one I've not seen.
Of course, gets peeps discussing. No right or wrong answer.

Just finished watching Marco Polo and absolutely loved it

I understand why it got cancelled, I read that it was the most expensive show ever made at the time they made it and it got modest viewing numbers, but damn I want more - so much more story to tell

I've finally started watching Lord of the Rigs: Rings of Power. I stayed away after not hearing great things, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

I've finally started watching Lord of the Rigs: Rings of Power. I stayed away after not hearing great things, but I'm really enjoying it so far.
It's not the best but it's does get better (the opposite of House of Dragon) I really didn't get the absolute hate though.

Latest posts