• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 3: Crusaders v British & Irish Lions (Christchurch)

We'll see how another ref handles it.

What, you mean the same ref that didn't penalise it in Dublin last year? Lions are in for a tough ride in the scrums. Either way, it's irrelevant. The ABs have far too much behind the pack for the Lions to deal with. I don't care if they pick a national team backline. It isn't going to help. As has been shown.

GWW, you will find this is par pro cursu for this forum. Its one of the reasons I don't bother posting here very often... too many wankers (and that is a real shame, because it never used to be that way)

Yeah. Make one mistake here and they talk about your post count and spelling. Then disappear when you ask them a direct question about rules.

Incorrect. The call just before HT was ridiculous. After the scrum had set Furlong rose from pressure from Moody. Which resulting in the scrum wheeling. As I said earlier, he was on the wrong side of the scrum to even know what happened. Still, he should have been able to see Furlong rise clear as balls..

Exactly!!

As I pointed out in an earlier post (which the usual suspects ignored) that this is scrum refereeing 101, its how referees are coached to tell the difference between an illegal (whip) wheel and a legal wheel.

If the opposing THP goes up, then the first impetus has been a push forward, and any subsequent wheel is legal. I was stunned that a referee who is allegedly at WR international level would make such an elementary mistake.

GWW, you will find this is par pro cursu for this forum. Its one of the reasons I don't bother posting here very often... too many wankers (and that is a real shame, because it never used to be that way)

Yeah. Make one mistake here and they talk about your post count and spelling. Then disappear when you ask them a direct question about rules...

To people who don't really understand scrumaging, Moody was boring in to the side of Furlong all game, tis illegal play. Then to make matters worse, the loosehead who replaced him came on and did the exact same thing, cheeky bugger. Luckily the ref knew what he was doing so no worries mate.

BS. And luckily the idiot won't be anywhere near the first test!

Alrighty I'm putting a stop to slagging off other members in this thread from here on out. You are welcome to keep discussing the scrums, but let's refrain from insulting other members.

Keep the discussion constructive.

I'll be handing out warnings if this trash continues.

Just a question for the Crusaders fans...
Why was'nt Mataele playing...? He is a mainstay in my fantasy team...not considered for the Lions or just injured?

To people who don't really understand scrumaging, Moody was boring in to the side of Furlong all game, tis illegal play. Then to make matters worse, the loosehead who replaced him came on and did the exact same thing, cheeky bugger. Luckily the ref knew what he was doing so no worries mate.

BS. When a LHP bores in, the scrum turns or pinches BEFORE the opponent is forced up. The opposite happened in the incident you are quoting, so you are WRONG, period!

FYI, I have coached referees (including how to spot illegalities in the scrum). I have also coached scrummaging, and played at Prop (and sometimes Hooker) for over 20 years.

As a Hurricanes supporter, I enjoyed it :)

Nah, not really... but the Lions worked out a way to negate the Cru's and it worked. A deserved win, refs and props notwithstanding.

As an aside, we drove off the mountain to go and watch the game at a mate's house and he gave me this - which is apparently as rare as unicorn do. It's the cover for the player's tour playbook - each tourist gets one to jot their notes in. Someone did a great job.

I have no idea what the Iron Maiden reference refers to - anyone know?

34409513004_2094098e48_o.jpg

Banned for a day.
BS. When a LHP bores in, the scrum turns or pinches BEFORE the opponent is forced up. The opposite happened in the incident you are quoting, so you are WRONG, period!

FYI, I have coached referees (including how to spot illegalities in the scrum). I have also coached scrummaging, and played at Prop (and sometimes Hooker) for over 20 years.

You're boring, boom, nailed it.

just have to say, I really enjoyed the game, as I have them all so far. yeah there wasn't any tries but that's what is great about rugby - different styles can be successful.

the first the lions weren't great, which was good as it gave the barbarians a chance in a game they should have lost by 60. they looked like they choked basically. players were just too nervous about not making the test team. time together could help, plus the intensity of a test match would raise their game. their defence looked dominating for the most part.

the second the lions were better but gave away loads of stupid penalties. easy to see improvement then - just stop going away stupid penalties. defence wa pretty good for the most part

the third the lions were a lot better but stuffed up opportunities. this suggests a bit of luck, or on their day, the lions could do quite well. the defence was pretty awesome.

excited about each and every game to come.on the last performance, and presuming a similar but slightly better lions team the maoris will really struggle to give an exciting backline good ball. but give the maori counter-attacking opportunities and goodbye sweet nurse! mckenzie, milne-skudder, lowe, ngatai

the all blacks will have more physicality than the crusaders. same props, and one of the same locks, add retallick, kaino, read. plus SBW and naholo in the backs.

the lions should do well in the remaining mid-week games against weakened sides, particularly at scrum time. it's good they are playing super rugby sides, it gives the non-test players something they can actually enjoy, instead of just being sad they didn't make the test team.

It's one thing offering an opinion on the adjudication at scrum-time, but when this is prefaced with blinkered prior comment such as "This result changes nothing", "the lions backs were terrible" and "what a waste of money to watch that game", your comments unfortunately take on a different hue. Most people can spot salt when they see it.

As a Hurricanes supporter, I enjoyed it :)

Nah, not really... but the Lions worked out a way to negate the Cru's and it worked. A deserved win, refs and props notwithstanding.

As an aside, we drove off the mountain to go and watch the game at a mate's house and he gave me this - which is apparently as rare as unicorn do. It's the cover for the player's tour playbook - each tourist gets one to jot their notes in. Someone did a great job.

I have no idea what the Iron Maiden reference refers to - anyone know?

34409513004_2094098e48_o.jpg
The irony being Iron Maiden are a British band

Decision making near the opposition line needs to improve. On 68 minutes we had to score the try and Farrell goes for the long one. Just put it through the hands!
Several things from this.

I think decision making is definitely a thing to improve, but not the only element that needs to be looked upon. Support running is lacking, and no other country in the world does it better than NZ. Most try opportunities come from clean breaks, but where an NZ team would have at least two other players running in the direct vicinity of the ball carrier, none or just one player is rushing to help for the Lions. This is a worry. It's as if no one's really expecting a line break to happen and is caught off guard when it happens.

Players also need to work on their skills. Crusaders were far from being clinical, but the Lions also dropped the ball or stuffed a pass when it mattered most. I don't know what they insist on during trainings, but maybe doing more passing drills under pressure would help.

Typical of you Tallshort.

Absolutely NO-ONE here is claiming that. You just made it up
That's a thing though. I've been reading a lot of negative comments about the ref on Stuff.co.nz. I know people on Stuff aren't your typical kiwi, but I found these comments to be rather upsetting because they completely lack class and respect. Which is why I'm here, it's refreshing to read something else other than insults

Perhaps it's just the more casual fans that have been brought out the woodwork because it's been the Lions but I haven't been too impressed with the NZs fans so far. The constant booing in the Crusaders match, the complete cockiness of some after the Blues loss (not jokey comments) and now some pretty poor comments about the ref.

Latest posts