• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warm Up Match 3: Crusaders v British & Irish Lions (Christchurch)

Great result for the team. still lots of room for improvement of the next couple of weeks.

We can't even afford that now. Plus they bailing the old Westminister out
Also no stealing just reclaiming

Can't reclaim wha rightfully belongs to someones else.

Just consider yourself lucky we donated the land to you.

You better be careful or i will have to give you Munster fans a history lesson when Tigers play you next season.

Can't reclaim wha rightfully belongs to someones else.

Just consider yourself lucky we donated the land to you.

You better be careful or i will have to give you Munster fans a history lesson when Tigers play you next season.
Hey ye sold out on history
Well never knew we broke away and UK invaded their own lands so
Can't wait to go to Tigers again. The soccer mentaility there nearly replaces Glasgow

On game interesting point that this could hurt Crusaders in Super Rugby too and really makes it a bit more fun there too

From a rugby perspective the Polynesian prowess at rugby due to their physiology and muscle mass means that we can speculate that Japan, Korea and China will have broadly similar physiologies and can have physical prowess at the sport.
This would be incorrect and misleading as research has found that Polynesians have more muscle mass and bone density compared to the Asians.

Last edited:
Hey ye sold out on history
Well never knew we broke away and UK invaded their own lands so
Can't wait to go to Tigers again. The soccer mentaility there nearly replaces Glasgow

On game interesting point that this could hurt Crusaders in Super Rugby too and really makes it a bit more fun there too

Reclaim our own land get it right FFS. RE Tigers Haters gonna hate I guess.

I'm also very interested to see how the Saders go now for the rest of the super rugby season. Could change alot of things confidence wise in them.

So I've paid $70 NZD's for my ticket to the Lions game in Dunedin on Tuesday. Hopefully there's a few more points in it than tonight.

What sort of team are people expecting? Will it be a midweek team ,or will he try keep some continuity?
The usual turdfest? I think that's the word we are hearing .......

Are they playing indoors?
Well the stadium has a roof. I can see our backline doing a lot more damage than the Crusaders. It's the forwards I'm concerned about, we have Pryor, Christie and Squire out. The lads have done well this season, but Jesus they're knackered and a few rookies in there.
Mate of mine, I played with, lives here now, is from Otago. I developed a soft spot for them in Super Rugby going back a few years. I assume Smiths are out too. Be interesting to see if the Lions can keep a head of steam after the win today. A team they should expect to beat, as are all provincial sides in fairness.

I was genuinely surprised and a little bit concerned how badly the Crusaders line out went tonight. Taylor is likely the starting hooker with Coles out.

The usual turdfest? I think that's the word we are hearing .......

Are they playing indoors?

Mate of mine, I played with, lives here now, is from Otago. I developed a soft spot for them in Super Rugby going back a few years. I assume Smiths are out too. Be interesting to see if the Lions can keep a head of steam after the win today. A team they should expect to beat, as are all provincial sides in fairness.

Yep, it's under the roof at Forsyth Barr Stadium.

I think the Highlanders will win if the Lions play a midweek team. Guys like Fekitoa have got a real axe to grind. Even with the injuries to the Highlanders pack the desire will be there. They will be more trouble than the Crusaders backline tonight too I think.

Last edited:
Reclaim our own land get it right FFS. RE Tigers Haters gonna hate I guess.

I'm also very interested to see how the Saders go now for the rest of the super rugby season. Could change alot of things confidence wise in them.
Ha ha then we won so either way I happy.
Haters gonna hate is right.
RIP Cockers with the blade in the back.

Exactly between there last game and this game they are on slight dip. Argubally didn't deserve win last game

Well the Highlanders are doing a Scottish theme, so you get a break from it. But no doubt the British posters will complain about that too. Perhaps we should have a tea party before kick-off instead, would you fellas like that instead? ;)
They going mexican then? :)

If the Lions win each test match 3 - nil I certainly won't care
As long as it's Farrell kicks the points...... Sorry couldn't resist :) Nothing like camaraderie on tour. Nice to see Sexton ad Farrell sharing tips on the pitch today.

You realize this tour is a special occasion and people are making an effort to welcome the Lions and honour them.

People here need a wake up call, I've personally found it rude and ignorant.

And you wonder why people get short with the British.
Yeah and that's the problem. 20 years ago the haka was a bit of a novelty before all black games since then it's become so bloody precious that everyone has not only let a team perform a war before a game but everyone has to just stand and take it. Any challenge is a sign of great disrespect that must not be tolerated. Even when NZ play away everyone has to just suck it up and put up it like the All Blacks have some special privilege or something which ok to a point, it's a tradition but now for the first time the lions are having to go through this farce during the warm up games. There is sharing traditions and then there's ramming them down people's throats to a point where everyone is sick of it. Mako's reaction said it all. He was bored and wanted to just play the bloody game of rugby which is why everyone was there in first place.

The haka performed with intensity requires the use of energy.
Do they practice the Haka before or after regular practices? Does someone announce "OK lads time for Haka practice"? I am genuinely interested to know how that all comes to pass. Especially if its a new version.

Must be time consuming to coordinate it all. Few of the lads missing their lines in todays effort. Had to peer over his shoulder to get back on track.

Man the Lions really turned it on and totally shut down the Crusaders.

They did, they cranked up the intensity and often the young Crusader back line wasn't ready for what was coming. Gatland seemed to be ahead of the Cantabs coaching staff. They neither expected that rush defence and when it came they didn't have a plan B.

There was a level of cockiness about the Crusaders. They were turning down easy 3point opportunities and going for the try in the first half.

Too much self belief is a dangerous thing. The Cantabs looked like they thought that if Auckland can beat the Lions then they will walk it.
Not the case.
They really missed Read tonight. If he was on board there would have been a lot more interest in the posts than the line. Relieving pressure on the scoreboard helps a lot for greasing the wheels of ball handling efficiency. The poor game management really hurt the Cantabs.
The score wasn't indicative of the control the Lions exhibited at times.

They made too many forced and unforced errors.

They sure did and it was an eye opener that some of the Kiwi's on here didn't cope well with.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I always back Canterbury against other foreign teams but against the Lions they did look cocky and they got their block knocked off and rightly so.
You don't treat top drawer opposition with that kind of flippant inattention to conserving possession and not taking the three points when they are on offer.
Cantab management made a massive error.
I hope that munter doesn't get a look in at AB level until he wises up a lot.
Gatland nailed him.
Lions pressure and the nature of the occasion got to them. It was a great message to send rippling out into the many smaller pools in NZ rugby, and don't worry, it will be wildfire in the far reaches of the remote areas of NZ. The Lions have roared and NZ will close ranks now
Take the Lions seriously or be prepared for an upset. These blokes are not muppets and we will need to be on our mettle.
Ireland and England have been the 2nd and 3rd best teams in world rugby for the last 12 months and they have plenty of their best players in this line up.
I am under no illusion, Hansen will be watching the Lions like a Hawk and making his plans carefully with maximum intensity in mind. Thats why he's in the top job. He knows a tour like this is the biggest thing until the next RWC. The Lions must be respected and we will need to showcase our best players in the best light, ready for the variety of weapons that the Lions will continure to unleash as they settle into the tour after just 3 games.
Some of the younger Kiwi posters on here need to be aware of that and learn to hold their tongues (or fingers) and think and breathe a little more before responding with comments that are beneath us and essentially purile.
The Lions were better tonight.
Acknowledge it and ignore Valley Commando.
There will be a time for him to eat the fossilised remnants of the once profitable coal mines of his forbears when the tests come around.

From an ABs point of view I wonder how they will approach this suffocating style of rugby. Mind you the ABs will have genuine game breakers like barrett smith sbw who can create something from nothing. However is individual skill going to be what separates the teams?

The AB's can live off scraps and score from anywhere. Hansen and co. will know whats coming and have a team and plan to counter it.
It still won't be easy.
I expect the tests to be much closer than most of my younger Kiwi compatriots on here. This is a quality Lions squad.
The victory today and the quite 'commanding' nature of it will give the whole Lions outfit a feeling of pride, confidence and contentment about a difficult hurdle that has been carefully negotiated.
Gatland knew the Lions would be up against it from the word go here in NZ and he has done the right thing by almost emptying the British Isles of it's best players and taking all of them on tour.
They will soak up injuries and keep coming and it's up to us to man up and take them on.
When we cop defeats we need to take it on the chin and not throw toys from the pram like infants.
Respect your ooponent and a lot more lasting residual joy will come from the encounter and the ones to follow.

Do they practice the Haka before or after regular practices? Does someone announce "OK lads time for Haka practice"? I am genuinely interested to know how that all comes to pass. Especially if its a new version.

Must be time consuming to coordinate it all. Few of the lads missing their lines in todays effort. Had to peer over his shoulder to get back on track.

The new Haka's were specifically composed for the Lions tour and yes, we have haka practice. At highschool we would learn our own speific school haka at 3rd form and the whole school would perform it at school assemblies and during interschools when matches were played too. It was also performed when we had guests or if someone of significance passed away.

Last edited:
I can remember the saffers arranging a zulu (I think) war dance before a game against the blacks some years ago (not by the players, I should add!). Might have been the game where the lunatic ran on the pitch and attacked the ref.
Was that not in the early 2000s? Like 2001 or 2003?
If I recall, McCaw tackled the madman, what a legend.

Crusaders are a very tired outfit. That was a very impressive performance defensively for the Lions. Also showed a lot better intent in the wide channels.

Matt Todd proves once again he is too light for test rugby. Mo'unga looked shook from not having been named to the ABs or Maori. Goodhue was boosted from his naming. Refereeing of the scrum was skiddish, but the Cru pack is too used to getting the favour.

Watson should start over Williams. Te'o was impressive carrying, but the ball moved better with Farrell at 2nd-five. I thought the Lions targeted the back door swap to the flyhalf very well- a major key in stopping the Crusaders. Even the midfield swap was eaten by the Lions line speed. Ugly elbow to the eye for Hogg.

Whilst watching again just a couple of pointless observations...

1) Why is Sweet Caroline a thing? Does it really have to be a thing? Please make it stop.
2) The lions front row combined made 30 tackles compared to 21 from the back-row. Great handling all game from them too; think those guys deserve more acknowledgement
3) In terms of criticising the lions backline I think it was a big disappointment to lose Davies because Farrell is absolutely not a 13. Considering we were adapting to that dynamic I don't think we did badly with ball in hand.
4) Alun-Wyn had a really strong game, even though I was less aware of him first time round.
5) The more I see of O'Mahony the more I want him in the match 15 for the first test, 100%. Right now, I think we've already worked out our 4 backrowers for the first test; Faletau, Warburton, POM and SOB.
6) Williams hasn't got going yet but he's very talented and needs more time. He made a few mistakes in the game but was given some really shitty passes which could have put him over the line if done properly.

having said that, just saw again the disallowed try which came from Williams' terrrrrrrrible attempted kick. If he executes properly I'm pretty sure Watson has the gas.

Last edited:
1) Why is Sweet Caroline a thing? Does it really have to be a thing? Please make it stop.

Amen to that. It's the south island, Neil Diamond is a big star down there, and it's like the 1970's.
Get ready for Otago and "Living next door to Ellis/Alice, oh dear...

4) Alun-Wyn had a really strong game, even though I was less aware of him first time round.

He was on point. He needed to be but he lifted and he showed leadership qualities that are priceless at this level. He's looking like the kind of player Gatland expected to see.

5) The more I see of O'Mahony the more I want him in the match 15 for the first test, 100%. Right now, I think we've already worked out our 4 backrowers for the first test; Faletau, Warburton, POM and SOB.

POM, SOB and Faletau look pretty special.

6) Williams hasn't got going yet but he's very talented and needs more time. He made a few mistakes in the game but was given some really shitty passes which could have put him over the line if done properly.

I may have been harsh on him, he is a real talent fior Wales, he needs to start to show that in a red jersey but as with all things in the backline, the quality of the service often dictates how a player comes across.

Amen to that. It's the south island, Neil Diamond is a big star down there, and it's like the 1970's.
Get ready for Otago and "Living next door to Ellis/Alice, oh dear...

He was on point. He needed to be but he lifted and he showed leadership qualities that are priceless at this level. He's looking like the kind of player Gatland expected to see.

POM, SOB and Faletau look pretty special.

I may have been harsh on him, he is a real talent fior Wales, he needs to start to show that in a red jersey but as with all things in the backline, the quality of the service often dictates how a player comes across.

To be fair, it's a thing as well with the landed gentry at Twickenham too. During the World Cup opening ceremony they made everyone sing it together,...it was a bleak moment in my life.

On that musical note...I watched I think it was the Highlanders against the Canes or maybe the crusaders earlier In the season and I remember how relentless the music was...not just after tries or during pauses but like at times also during the game. Think the Highlanders were at home? Should we be expecting that again?

You're right that Warburton is probably(definitely) the 4th of that lot but with the whole captaincy thing I don't expect to see him omitted.

I think Williams and Daly will be in a straight shoot out for a wing spot, provided Watson gets considered as a full-back which is a sizeable 'if'. Watsons been by far the best wing of the lot so he'll surely feature.

Latest posts