• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland, 02/02/13

Why is everyone looking straight past Cave? He's been on really good form, very good defensively and is quite quick. He's decent size and has good hands. You're really suggesting Downey over Cave?
12: Cave / O'Driscoll
13: O'Driscoll / Cave

Both players have played in both positions - I think it could work.

DC hasn't played much at 12 this season, maybe 1 half IIRC. I'd also say his style is too similar to BOD to complement it.

Downey has looked alright for Munster this year - and we've seen in the past how BOD works outside a hard runner (Lions with Roberts).

DC hasn't played much at 12 this season, maybe 1 half IIRC. I'd also say his style is too similar to BOD to complement it.

Downey has looked alright for Munster this year - and we've seen in the past how BOD works outside a hard runner (Lions with Roberts).

Hes a damn better player than Downey.

Why Downey? Mcfadden is equally strong in defense, more creative in attack, is a strong runner, has played with BOD and has international experience.

Why Downey? Mcfadden is equally strong in defense, more creative in attack, is a strong runner, has played with BOD and has international experience.

True, true.

He looked excellent for Leinster when played at 12 a few times earlier this season.

I'd rather have Keatley at 12 than Earls at 13!

Basically, I want anyone but Keith Earls! (well, not true... I don't want Sexton at centre if it means Radge at 10...)

Dear gads, it's getting to the stage where Munster players are getting bashed the second their mentioned here.

POM plays well and people look for any reason to drop him for Henry, who was fine when he came on but frankly didn't do anything that stood out.

Nobody want to see Earls at centre, especially not at 12 but people are moaning about him as though he's committed some terrible crimes against the green jersey recently. He put in good performances in the last year. He was shite yesterday but he's not a 12 and Deccie's the only person who thinks he can play there.

Downey's a fine centre. He's in good form for Munster. I'd prefer Cave but some of the reaction to the the suggestion of Downey was very harsh.

Rag is crap, bash him all you like.

Everyone gives Murray a bashing when you see his name on the team sheet - very good performance yesterday, nobody dares mention it.

On another note, I thought Ryan and McCarthy were brilliant yesterday. If we had a fully fit POC, I don't think I'd put him back in the second row.

Dear gads, it's getting to the stage where Munster players are getting bashed the second their mentioned here.

POM plays well and people look for any reason to drop him for Henry, who was fine when he came on but frankly didn't do anything that stood out.

Nobody want to see Earls at centre, especially not at 12 but people are moaning about him as though he's committed some terrible crimes against the green jersey recently. He put in good performances in the last year. He was shite yesterday but he's not a 12 and Deccie's the only person who thinks he can play there.

Downey's a fine centre. He's in good form for Munster. I'd prefer Cave but some of the reaction to the the suggestion of Downey was very harsh.

Rag is crap, bash him all you like.

Everyone gives Murray a bashing when you see his name on the team sheet - very good performance yesterday, nobody dares mention it.

On another note, I thought Ryan and McCarthy were brilliant yesterday. If we had a fully fit POC, I don't think I'd put him back in the second row.
I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. It's starting to **** me off. Murray was great, so was O'Mahony, Earles recieves abuse because he is without doubt a shite center, but seem to forget he's a very dangerous wing, and by no means a bad player, although he doesn't deserve a starting spot. O'Gara hasn't earned his place on the team this year and is relying merely on reputation, and I have to agree with second rows. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Last edited:
I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. It's starting to **** me off. Murray was great, so was O'Mahony, Earles recieves abuse because he is without doubt a shite center, but seem to forget he's a very dangerous wing, and by no means a bad player. O'Gara hasn't earned his place on the team this year and is relying merely on reputation, and I have to agree with second rows. If it's not broke don't fix it.

Murray actually looked comfortable in green yesterday which he never has before and played well and his size is a great asset when he does play well. O'Mahoney was good and did what was needed of him but I think, in the form he is in Henry would offer a lot more and improve the turnover count for the team which was incredibly low yesterday. Earls isn't a bad player but when he is keeping good players who can cover both centre and wing like McFadden or Fitzgerald off the bench it is extremely frustrating because he is a huge liability in centre and sometimes at wing in defence.

I actually would only make one change next week (granted everyone is fit) and that is Earls off the bench for either Ferg or Fitz, I think POM is better suited to playing against the powerful yet one dimensional England pack.

Murray actually looked comfortable in green yesterday which he never has before and played well and his size is a great asset when he does play well. O'Mahoney was good and did what was needed of him but I think, in the form he is in Henry would offer a lot more and improve the turnover count for the team which was incredibly low yesterday. Earls isn't a bad player but when he is keeping good players who can cover both centre and wing like McFadden or Fitzgerald off the bench it is extremely frustrating because he is a huge liability in centre and sometimes at wing in defence.

I actually would only make one change next week (granted everyone is fit) and that is Earls off the bench for either Ferg or Fitz, I think POM is better suited to playing against the powerful yet one dimensional England pack.
Yeah that's fair enough, I can see the advantage of a versatile player like McFadden ahead of Earls.

I forgot to mention. Love our new snazzy wingers. They're so much fun. Think I'd drop Gilroy for Luke FItz - Gilroy's kicking from hand is rather horrid and I feel like we could get punished for that. If he could sort that out thoug;- snazzle razzle dazzle.

The next person that mentions Downey as a possible option at 12 for Ireland should be removed from the forum!

It's quite simple, if Darcy is injured then a straight swap with Ferg coming in at 12 should be the decision. Other than that the starting 15 should stay the same.

We are really missing Charteris and Lydiate. They are the cornerstones of our defence, hitting low and hard.

People people... Paddy Wallace... pure class this season lyyyyyyyk.... #Wallace #Swag # YOLO

People people... Paddy Wallace... pure class this season lyyyyyyyk.... #Wallace #Swag # YOLO

Honestly, I'd rather him than Earls.

McSharry could do a job but I don't think a crucial match against England is appropriate for his debut.

Anyway reports from the IRFU say D'Arcy will be training by the end of the week, Ross suffered from cramp and both BOD and POM are fine. the main injury concern now appears to be Earls who is going for a scan.

Dear gads, it's getting to the stage where Munster players are getting bashed the second their mentioned here. POM plays well and people look for any reason to drop him for Henry, who was fine when he came on but frankly didn't do anything that stood out.Nobody want to see Earls at centre, especially not at 12 but people are moaning about him as though he's committed some terrible crimes against the green jersey recently. He put in good performances in the last year. He was shite yesterday but he's not a 12 and Deccie's the only person who thinks he can play there.Downey's a fine centre. He's in good form for Munster. I'd prefer Cave but some of the reaction to the the suggestion of Downey was very harsh.Rag is crap, bash him all you like.Everyone gives Murray a bashing when you see his name on the team sheet - very good performance yesterday, nobody dares mention it.On another note, I thought Ryan and McCarthy were brilliant yesterday. If we had a fully fit POC, I don't think I'd put him back in the second row.
Most people who wanted Henry to start, including myself, have agreed POM actually did a good job - and you're right we didn't notice Henry that much but he came on roughy when Wales began to attack us. Earls is an embarrassment at centre, decent wing but when you're up against Tuilagi it's not going to work.
Downey is a good club player but not international.
As for Murray I thought he played really well and Reddan has been pretty average - Marshall should be on the bench.
+ Murray
+ POM
- Downey
- ROG
- Earls

Don't see how that's not fair.

Shows how important Best and Healy are. They both contest the breakdowns so well, without them we would have struggled considering we had no genuine 7.

Got to look at the issue with the bench though. Reddan and ROG weren't even trusted to come on and close out the match. If they were only there to change the game had we been losing then surely Marshall and Madigan would have made a more significant addition.

I wouldn't change the team to much. I'd allow them to learn from the Wales game and build on the confidence they will have gained from it.

Most people who wanted Henry to start, including myself, have agreed POM actually did a good job - and you're right we didn't notice Henry that much but he came on roughy when Wales began to attack us. Earls is an embarrassment at centre, decent wing but when you're up against Tuilagi it's not going to work.
Downey is a good club player but not international.
As for Murray I thought he played really well and Reddan has been pretty average - Marshall should be on the bench.
+ Murray
+ POM
- Downey
- ROG
- Earls

Don't see how that's not fair.

I agree with all that apart from, and this is hard for me to say......, Marshall. I would have had him on the bench last week when Murray was still useless but after Murray's performance both him and Reddan are better. :wah:

I agree with all that apart from, and this is hard for me to say......, Marshall. I would have had him on the bench last week when Murray was still useless but after Murray's performance both him and Reddan are better. :wah:

Is Reddan really that much better though? He's not on great form.

I would have Boss and Marshall ahead of Reddan at the moment to be honest. Having said that Reddan's got the exeprience at this level that could be crucial against England.

You don't lose much in defence or at the breakdown with Faletau imo, although Heaslip is very good ruck time it's got to be said. The 2012 head to head stats the bbc showed before the match was quite startling though. Faletau way more carries, double the meters made, and 17 defenders beaten to Heaslips 2. The turnover count was quite equal if I remember. Faletau looks to be in better form this season too.

Saw there head to head RTE also had one and made a very good point about the carrying for Wales Faletau often carries out wide receiving a pass off outside backs. Whereas Heaslip is often a one out carrier or a simply doing a pick and go. When Haslip gets it out wide he often works as a playmaker. At the start of his career Heaslip was like Faletau I do agree Faletau is a better carrier but Heaslip IMO has him in most other stuff.

Latest posts