• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales V France

O

Ozzay

Wales 22

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Richard Rees (Blues);

Paul James, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies, Deiniol Jones (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Martyn Williams (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt)

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Mike Phillips (Ospreys), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys) , Tom Shanklin (Blues).

Don't agree with Phillips being on the bench, 20 mins where he did little to change the game in front of a Dwayne Peel who played 80 mins for Sale the other night is at all a good selection. Again I do not understand why there are two center's in the bench. Surely Tom James should have been selected in front of Shanklin.

Shanklin and Roberts can both play on the wing, so either could move outside. Hook could go to Fullback, as could Halfpenny and Roberts. Bishop is there for defence, Shanklin can come on and make a few charges.

However, the replacement front-rowers have a combinde total of 0 caps. Not the best thinknig when up against France. Although Ken is the best hooker in world Rugby. I don't feel Deinol Jones should be starting. He's good, but not of an international quality.

Shanklin used to be able to do a stint on the wing, but those days are over imo. He's lost a little pace, and that's effected his game at centre, not to mention wing. Tom James may not be a great all round player. His support running is poor, and his temprement is suspect, but he has bags of pace, power and guile which has seen him score some sensational tries for the Blues. He's the kinda player you want on the bench, not two centres!

I'm personally glad to see Phillips on the bench, even if I#m still a little susprised. Peel hasn't been on top form for a few years now, whearas Phillips showed before the Lions just how quickly he can regain his form after being injured. If the Ospreys medics and Phillips himself believe his foot has healed, then he'll do just fine. Really hope he hasn't been rushed back though, cos the Ospreys need him even more than Wales do.

So do the Welsh think ye have a realistic chance???

More I think about it I'm thinking for some reason France will be caught on the hop.

And then this will spice up the Eng vs Ire game as Wales will be back in the championship and IF Ireland beat England it'll be 4 teams still in with a major shout.

For some reason i expect Wales to do better than Ireland did, but for France to still win convincingly

Thing is France are the 1 team capable of beating Ireland well then going to Cardiff and killing themselves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thing is France are the 1 team capable of beating Ireland well then going to Cardiff and killing themselves.[/b]
Honestly they would need to kill themselves several times over to lose to this Welsh team.

Christ, I feel like such a troll.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Feb 22 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shanklin used to be able to do a stint on the wing, but those days are over imo. He's lost a little pace, and that's effected his game at centre, not to mention wing. Tom James may not be a great all round player. His support running is poor, and his temprement is suspect, but he has bags of pace, power and guile which has seen him score some sensational tries for the Blues. He's the kinda player you want on the bench, not two centres!

I'm personally glad to see Phillips on the bench, even if I#m still a little susprised. Peel hasn't been on top form for a few years now, whearas Phillips showed before the Lions just how quickly he can regain his form after being injured. If the Ospreys medics and Phillips himself believe his foot has healed, then he'll do just fine. Really hope he hasn't been rushed back though, cos the Ospreys need him even more than Wales do.[/b]

Fact of the matter Wales rushed Jenkins back and look where that got them. I'm afraid 20 mins does for me not count as a good enough amount of time for a comeback.

I also fear that Phillips will go the way of Jenkins and Rees. Both of them obviously rushed back, and it's ended up costing them and Wales heavily because of it. However, as Rees showed, injury reocurrances can happen just as easily playing club rugby as it can playing test match rugby. The Ospreys, medical staff and Mike Phillips have deemed him fit, so that's good enough for me.

Wheather he's up to speed or not is another matter! He didn't look his usual self against Connacht, really shying away from contact, instead of taking on the defense. Hopefully that was just nerves, and coming through 40mins unscathed will help his confidence in his foot. He won't be back to full match fitness, but he'll be good for 20-30mins if or when needed (possibly not with Rees playing well).

For me, Deiniol Jones is a bigger selection gamble. He's a hard working second row, and is a good front jumper in the lineout, but he doesn't bring anything else to the table. At least with Gough or Cherteris, they offer unique qualities, such as tackling and 'dog' with Gough, workrate and lineout abilities with Charteris. Deiniol Jones is the 'safe' choice to parter his regional partner Bradley Davies. But safe isn't always what's needed, especially against a team like France. I hope I'm proven wrong, and he plays well. If not, Charteris is on the bench I suppose.

Looking to the French side the back 3 have never played together and have very few caps indeed. I can foresee some lethal turnover with a French defense line which won't perform as good as they did versus Ireland.

I don't think France can win with an as big point difference as versus Ireland, should be closer to versus Scotland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thing is France are the 1 team capable of beating Ireland well then going to Cardiff and killing themselves.[/b]

Yeah, and i feel Wales will be awesome so i expect them to win. Oh and When will Gatland select Ian Gough?! :mellow:

IAN GOUGH HAS CLEARLY SLEPT WITH GATLAND'S WIFE!! THIS IS A f***ING JOKE!! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!! DEINIOL f***ING JONES?!!! WHAT THE f*** IS GOING ON?!!! YOU THINK WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE, BUT IT'S FALSE DAWN AFTER f***ING FALSE DAWN! GATLAND f***ING OUT!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Feb 22 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, and i feel Wales will be awesome so i expect them to win. Oh and When will Gatland select Ian Gough?! :mellow:
[/b][/quote]

I'd be shocked if Wales were awesome. Wales have not been performing over the last few months. Their win over Scotland was neither deserved nor representative of any improvement in Welsh rugby. Wales can win this match however, but only if France arrive and just do their annual tradition of being poo for 1 match in the 6 nations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 23 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Feb 22 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 22 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I'd be shocked if Wales were awesome. Wales have not been performing over the last few months. Their win over Scotland was neither deserved nor representative of any improvement in Welsh rugby. Wales can win this match however, but only if France arrive and just do their annual tradition of being poo for 1 match in the 6 nations.
[/b][/quote]

True, Wales have been average, however Friday night buzzing Millennium stadium + French tradition= fantastic game with an upset!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 23 2010, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
IAN GOUGH HAS CLEARLY SLEPT WITH GATLAND'S WIFE!! THIS IS A f***ING JOKE!! HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING!! DEINIOL f***ING JONES?!!! WHAT THE f*** IS GOING ON?!!! YOU THINK WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE, BUT IT'S FALSE DAWN AFTER f***ING FALSE DAWN! GATLAND f***ING OUT!!!![/b]
tampon.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Feb 23 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 23 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The All Whites @ Feb 22 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

True, Wales have been average, however Friday night buzzing Millennium stadium + French tradition= fantastic game with an upset!
[/b][/quote]

Yeah fingers crossed anyway

Latest posts