Watson (both)
S. Simmonds
Ibitoye
Veainu
C. Walker
T. Collins
May

100% have forgotten some.

Interestingly, I read that in 2011 Big George North "smashed" (imagine this is relatively speaking given the distances) the wales 10m and 40m records that were previously held by S. Williams, so it's not always the candidates you'd expect who test the best (even though young George was a freak).

From personal experience (both myself and my brother spent time doing pre-season, training and (almost never) playing at Exeter and Saracens respectively whilst at Uni) the players who top these tests are often surprising, and their tested speed often doesn't translate to the pitch. For example, after Ashton left Saracens it was Duncan Taylor who had the fastest 100m time - I doubt any outside observer would call that. The guy who always used to top out sprint tests at Exeter, Matt Jess, never looked the quickest on a pitch despite his 100m time being habana-esque.
SSimmonds could have been a centre in another life, very quick off the mark.

Ashton on all the videos and games ive seen he deffinatly isnt slow but he doesny seem may,watson speed, to me he always picks the great lines that gets him the ball running full speed. Meaning he rarely gets caught by players as they have to turn. Butas said he did get caught by ford twice in the baabaas game.

If you read i said Navidi is a 7 that can play 6 like Warbs and then compared Jenkins to Tips in his focus on the breakdown as both are turn over scavengers on the smaller side...

It is why Navidi and Jenkins can play together effectively at the Blues like Warburton and Tips could. I watch them every week and you can clearly see the skills Navidi has gleaned from Warburton.
yes, I understood what you were saying. Jenkins is in the mould of Warburton, yes Navidi has played at 6,7and 8 but nothing like Warbs, as for Tips, he is not in the same class as the great scavengers. Warburton was one of the greats, I also believe that Jenkins is going to be very good too, Tips gets removed to easily from the ruck to be considered, does lots of things that are good, but being strong over the ball is not one of them.

yes, I understood what you were saying. Jenkins is in the mould of Warburton, yes Navidi has played at 6,7and 8 but nothing like Warbs, as for Tips, he is not in the same class as the great scavengers. Warburton was one of the greats, I also believe that Jenkins is going to be very good too, Tips gets removed to easily from the ruck to be considered, does lots of things that are good, but being strong over the ball is not one of them.

Genuinely not going to bother. You miss quoted me to try and win and arguement then twisted it a bit more. Even Warburton has said about Navidi and his jackling and ability to slow the ball. If he sees the similarities to himself thats enough for me.

Genuinely not going to bother. You miss quoted me to try and win and arguement then twisted it a bit more. Even Warburton has said about Navidi and his jackling and ability to slow the ball. If he sees the similarities to himself thats enough for me.

Oh dear, I can assure you that I did not try to twist anything, you compared Navidi and Tips with warbs and Jenkins, that's the bottom line, I was trying to say may be badly that there is no comparison, when have you ever heard one professional decry another...………………. Never. I will point out that this is only my opinion, we all have them your differs from mine that's fine, But ask your self if we had all our Backrowers fit would Navidi keep his place. was Tipric ever preferred to Warbs /

have a good day Regards,

Taking form off the table im oddly still confident about this one, for me this english pack even without mako and itoje has alot of physicality and balance about it. Im not a huge fan of the welsh front rowers they are all good players but i dont think any of them really bring anything special. AWJ is a great player and leader but id have lawes launch over AWJ and any other welsh current lock.

The back row is wales packs strongest point but i think the ballance to englands works really well .

Its in cardiff and they will raise their game but i think this england pack is actually really strong even with mako itoje and underhill still to come back.

Thats just my opinion so no angry shouting at me, ok?

Aye, MilStad isn't the fortress it used to be and most of this generation of players have never lost there (you've gotta go back to 2013 for our last loss, and while there's a few familiar names they were basically all in nappies at the time).
It's not gonna be a cake walk but I feel pretty happy with our chances

Oh dear, I can assure you that I did not try to twist anything, you compared Navidi and Tips with warbs and Jenkins, that's the bottom line, I was trying to say may be badly that there is no comparison, when have you ever heard one professional decry another...………………. Never. I will point out that this is only my opinion, we all have them your differs from mine that's fine, But ask your self if we had all our Backrowers fit would Navidi keep his place. was Tipric ever preferred to Warbs /

have a good day Regards,

Solidarity when facing the oppressor brothers, solidarity...

Last edited:
Yup you have to go to 2013 for our last win in Dublin but we've won in Cardiff twice since then and Wales haven't beaten us since THAT World Cup loss.

It won't be an easy game by any stretch but the simple fact is play like we did in the first two weeks and I can't see this Welsh side overturning us unless they put on a truly magical performance.

Still we've been to Cardiff before with an eye on a GS and 16 men managed to destroy us then. It could still happen and I likely won't be happy until either the full time whistle or we are comfortable out of sight (which I don't think will happen).

Our last two wins have both been 16-21

Bet the mortgage on a 5pt spread (I think, if we do win, it'll be a similar scoreline)

If I were to compare Welsh opensides, I'd group them as follows:

- Warburton + Griffiths. Both are/were explosive/quick ball carriers + excellent over the ball.
- Navidi + Jenkins + Young. Quite rounded backrowers, who are good at all aspects of backrow play, but probably don't excel in any obvious areas.
- James Davies. Excels out wide and in the contact area.
- Tipuric. Almost put him with Davies, but I think Tips adds much more in defense, whilst being inferior in the contact area. He's also a world class lineout jumper, which is often overlooked.

Yeah, we should be bullish about this. Jones 'just' needs to manage the squad to ensure confidence doesn't become complacency.

Won't be a breeze, but players and coaches on both sides will know how good we've been in the first couple of games. Show up again and we should be OK. Anything less and the Welsh will delight in shoving the chariot's wheels where the sun don't shine. Still if they can't beat us shorn of Underhill, Mako, Itoje, Watson, JJ.....

Six Nations: Wales cannot rely on Scotland or Italy in ***le bid if they lose to England - Jenkins - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47247901

This is true IMO, England win and we already have 2 BPs its not a done deal but our chances look very good.

Wales win and have a chance at a grandslam but no grand slam and they wont win, they have no BPs far against the easiest 2 teams.

Wales also have injuries, arguably their first choice back row Shingler, Jenkins, Faleteau. Scott Williams is injured and I would have him starting 12. Patchell and Halfpenny would be starting for me and they both will play their first game in 3 months this week so may or may not be fit for next week. All teams have injuries and I don't think England can claim theirs is much worse than other teams. Scotland are the ones who standout with missing a load of players.

Quickest off the mark in the Prem IMO (no particular order):

Morahan
Watson (both)
S. Simmonds
Ibitoye
Veainu
C. Walker
T. Collins
May

100% have forgotten some.

Interestingly, I read that in 2011 Big George North "smashed" (imagine this is relatively speaking given the distances) the wales 10m and 40m records that were previously held by S. Williams, so it's not always the candidates you'd expect who test the best (even though young George was a freak).

From personal experience (both myself and my brother spent time doing pre-season, training and (almost never) playing at Exeter and Saracens respectively whilst at Uni) the players who top these tests are often surprising, and their tested speed often doesn't translate to the pitch. For example, after Ashton left Saracens it was Duncan Taylor who had the fastest 100m time - I doubt any outside observer would call that. The guy who always used to top out sprint tests at Exeter, Matt Jess, never looked the quickest on a pitch despite his 100m time being habana-esque.

Ross Chishom pre injury (maybe still but I dunno)
Cokanasiga maybe

Agree with the sentiment that England seem to have the stronger side. For me this all comes down to psychology on the day. If England can hold their heads and play their game they have enough firepower to turn the Welsh over. However any mental ****les start to creep in and Wales will capitalise. In addition the first two games England put themselves out of reach quite early, which always takes some fight out of the opposition. If the Welsh stay in touching distance they are re just going to keep on coming, and usually Welsh sides are pretty fit, so they have the ability to push to the last. This could easily require a full 80 minutes plus of complete concentration from England, and in some ways I hope it does because they need to be tested properly.

Jones was very clever to say "this is the best Welsh side ever". Not something that Gatland can really counter without suggesting that his players aren't the best, but also doesn't make them favourites.

Real shame about Mako, but Genge and Moon are pretty handy and need gametime so not too worried.
I know etoje is due back, but I think Lawes deserves to keep his place.
Haven't heard what the score with Underhill is but I'm loving the thought of Curry starting with Underhill to finish. Just endless waves of tackles raining down on the opposition.

Hoping for another good game. And if weather is in play I hope the roof gets closed so we get to see some decent running rugby.

Agree with the sentiment that England seem to have the stronger side. For me this all comes down to psychology on the day. If England can hold their heads and play their game they have enough firepower to turn the Welsh over. However any mental ****les start to creep in and Wales will capitalise. In addition the first two games England put themselves out of reach quite early, which always takes some fight out of the opposition. If the Welsh stay in touching distance they are re just going to keep on coming, and usually Welsh sides are pretty fit, so they have the ability to push to the last. This could easily require a full 80 minutes plus of complete concentration from England, and in some ways I hope it does because they need to be tested properly.

Jones was very clever to say "this is the best Welsh side ever". Not something that Gatland can really counter without suggesting that his players aren't the best, but also doesn't make them favourites.

Real shame about Mako, but Genge and Moon are pretty handy and need gametime so not too worried.
I know etoje is due back, but I think Lawes deserves to keep his place.
Haven't heard what the score with Underhill is but I'm loving the thought of Curry starting with Underhill to finish. Just endless waves of tackles raining down on the opposition.

Hoping for another good game. And if weather is in play I hope the roof gets closed so we get to see some decent running rugby.

I think Wales are in a good spot - a successful autumn and a couple of away wins in the 6 Nations can't be sniffed at even though you might argue France were just awful in that second half.
They have a lot more depth than they used to have and they are not so dependent on stand out individuals. I think that they will have a good WC.

The match against England will be a Grand Slam décider for England and I expect the game to be brutal . Neither side will flinch and the crowd will get behind Wales.
But this England side have i think too much firepower all over the park but I don't believe that we will look to kick in behind for the likes of May. I can see us playing from first phase and keeping the tempo up . Though neither France or Ireland could match the tempo of our game , Gatland sides tend to be quite fit .
Key difference for me though is Tom Curry - I think he was outstanding against Ireland and he could well be the best open side since Neil Back for England .
I predicted +12/14 for England on the basis of a French backlash when what we got was a surrrender : the welsh are always up for it against the English but I think we will win by +14 points .

Famous last words

2 hugly physical encounters for England, i know they have to train but i just hope they have been allowed to rest properly and recover so they can give this game there all. Win this and the grandslam is on, win with a TBP and the Six Nations is ours even with a loss to Scotland.

Latest posts