• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vern Cotter

You can actually get decent American ales....not tried the cider though but I don't drink cider.

Yeh the american ale game has come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 years or so. all i remember is Ned Flanders drank Cider and to me he doesn't come across as the type to drink the ciders we get in the UK really.

I was just having a bit of "Banter" with you.

Although Ketchup and Chips Dear God, i heard the rumours but didn't think they where true.

thought so (RE france) but knew you would have a better idea on that.

Mind saying that i love Cider esp strongbow..........

themole25 is it true that Cider in the states is more of like a fruit drink than a proper alcoholic drink?
I'd guessed - hence the tone of my post (and typed with a smile on my face).
I'm afraid the rumours are true - I've seen it with my very eyes (yes, I live in Gloucestershire, but I DO have multiple eyes).
Bare in mind - that's my perspective of a small sample of France - and we disagree on how common it is in the UK.
Strongbow? I thought we were talking about cider here?
My understanding is that stateside, "cider" means what we call "apple juice", but that they do also have alcoholic varieties; though I can't remember what they('re alleged to) call them; and that even those make Woodpecker cider (does that still exist?) look like cloudy scrumpy.
You can actually get decent American ales....not tried the cider though but I don't drink cider.
Apparently they have a pretty thriving micro-brewery scene; though mostly for hipsters.

yeah, really sweet, kind of a long the lines of a mike's hard

Mike hard what? ;)

See that is interesting so if i'm in the states on a hot summers day desperate for a refreshing cold alcoholic drink don't ask for Cider.

I'd guessed - hence the tone of my post (and typed with a smile on my face).
I'm afraid the rumours are true - I've seen it with my very eyes (yes, I live in Gloucestershire, but I DO have multiple eyes).
Bare in mind - that's my perspective of a small sample of France - and we disagree on how common it is in the UK.
Strongbow? I thought we were talking about cider here?
My understanding is that stateside, "cider" means what we call "apple juice", but that they do also have alcoholic varieties; though I can't remember what they('re alleged to) call them; and that even those make Woodpecker cider (does that still exist?) look like cloudy scrumpy.

Apparently they have a pretty thriving micro-brewery scene; though mostly for hipsters.

Damn scary to think adults still use ketchup on anything other than shepards/cottage pie.

True but if we both believe Rabbit is more popular in france than here it is prob true (Esp since i'm always right).

Strongbow, white lighting whatever you know what i mean the good stuff.

Yeh i imagine alot of brewers in america have crappy bears and wear pok pie hats or something.

Last edited:
mike's hard lemonade, essentially lemon flavoring sugar and some water

our ciders aren't bad, but they aren't really for enjoying, just a quick way to get alcohol in your system that doesn't taste bad

i'm a college student so i assume how i drink is probably much different than how you guys do

mike's hard lemonade, essentially lemon flavoring sugar and some water

our ciders aren't bad, but they aren't really for enjoying, just a quick way to get alcohol in your system that doesn't taste bad

i'm a college student so i assume how i drink is probably much different than how you guys do

What great name for a drink, could be brilliant for pick up lines.

Jesus i'm only 23 FFS, i'm not 50. (God youngsters of today), i do enjoy my pre drinks still.

College students in this country tend to do both, nothing nicer than going to the pub for a few pints whilst studying.

My experience is Americans have no clue how to drink. I certainly drank enough under the table quite a few years(6-7) back. 2 squaddies and entire family on Thanksgiving were amongst my victims. And I'm considered a massive lightweight by British standards.

yeah drinking in america is essentially "who cares how it tastes cause you shouldn't remember it"

if you actually want a beer or cider, that tastes good, you are gonna have to go to a brewery... bars just have commercial crap

yeah drinking in america is essentially "who cares how it tastes cause you shouldn't remember it"

if you actually want a beer or cider, that tastes good, you are gonna have to go to a brewery... bars just have commercial crap

So pre drinks which is where you get wasted or on the verge of wasted before going out, to save mostly money although you tend to drink and spend the same amount anyway.

My experience is Americans have no clue how to drink. I certainly drank enough under the table quite a few years(6-7) back. 2 squaddies and entire family on Thanksgiving were amongst my victims. And I'm considered a massive lightweight by British standards.

TBF we have had how many years more as a nation to practice? and didn't go through the whole prohibition thing, or the 21 drinking age.

also helps that our pints are bigger then theirs so 5 imperial pints (UK) is like 6 US pints (I think).

Most drink halfs from what I saw. They had to step up to 'tall' glasses.

But yeah I've been drinking since like 10 but didn't get ill until 20 as I knew my limits. I actually get more I'll these days but that comes from not really juding well on red wine.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick note when I say since 10 I mean like a small stubby bottle over a course of a day.

Key point is as alcohol wasn't a big deal I've never tried to over indulge and never felt the need to. I drink asometime a social thing or I like the taste but never go out to over drink.

Think the convicts do the same... just small glasses - with the pitiful excuse that the sun heats up the bigger glasses because they last longer.

Light pollution is a real thing on real ale. Which is why traditionally it'seems distributed in brown bottles not clear ones. Which does make a difference once you start drinking it.

At least that's according to my uncle who moans about clear bottles constantly....he should know though he's been a head brewer professionally for over 15 years.

Saw a bar advertised in Vegas where you got your "pint" for free if you drank it in under 7 seconds, like it's a big deal. I reckon most amateur rugby teams could tour there and recoup the cost of the flights without even doing anything more than the usual drinking fines.

Saw a bar advertised in Vegas where you got your "pint" for free if you drank it in under 7 seconds, like it's a big deal. I reckon most amateur rugby teams could tour there and recoup the cost of the flights without even doing anything more than the usual drinking fines.
Bloody hell 7 seconds is nothing I use to drink pints of milk as a kid in that kind of time. Beer make no difference unless you drink multiples as gad builds ups.

I only do it to drink up if moving on from a pub and I've not had my fill yet. I'll leave drinks far more these days.

Bloody hell 7 seconds is nothing I use to drink pints of milk as a kid in that kind of time. Beer make no difference unless you drink multiples as gad builds ups.

I only do it to drink up if moving on from a pub and I've not had my fill yet. I'll leave drinks far more these days.

Milk's hard to down, it's bloody cold. Fair play.

In Scotland they drink Whisky, it makes ale look like water.
The Scottish team DOES need to lift it's killer instinct. Too often they seem to want to pass the ball over the line instead of pinning their ears back and going for the line.
I can understand Cotter wanting his charges to get more aggressive but I'm not convinced that rabbit hunting will do the job.
Get them on raw meat and get them in the ring. That would be better.