Vern Cotter

LeinsterMan (NotTigsMan)

G.O.A.T
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leicester
Seems Jim Hamilton might of buried Cotter a bit here.

True or not very naive by Hamilton to mention say it really.

Without knowing specifically (and accurately) how the instructors were telling them how to kill the rabbits, it's difficult to judge.

But assuming that they were doing it in an ethical way, I'm not sure what grounds the players really had to opt out of doing it.... unless Ritchie Gray et al are actually vegetarians; which I highly, highly doubt.

Agree though... very naive of Jim.

Hamilton's now backed off with the claims.

I have to say, the account of the "murders" (FFS), though gruesome, does sound exactly like how I was shown to humanely dispatch mixie rabbits as a child.

A lot of the good done by the PETA is undone by overly emotive, need hungry responses to things like this, imo.

Yeh he's back off but the damage is done.

I'm Rugby Players should know by now how hings can escalate with Social media etc. about, Just thick of him.

Disloyal maybe, but why does mentioning it make him naive?

He is Naive in thinking it would just pass over as a rugby lads being rugby lads type of thing.

If he did it with the intention of putting pressure on Cotter then yeh not so Naive but then why deny it after?

That's priceless! I particularly like the talenof Richie Gray going toe to toe with a rabbit. As long as nobody was forced into doing it and they ate the meat then I've no problem with it. Scotland could do with some "killer instinct", although I'm not sure there is much to be gained in killing a tiny mammal.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.da...y-coach-vern-cotter-8579524.amp?client=safari

The worrying fact for Scottish fans is it sounds like the rabbit almost got the win!

- - - Updated - - -

He is Naive in thinking it would just pass over as a rugby lads being rugby lads type of thing.

Maybe you have read a different article to me, but I didn't infer from anything I've read on this that that was what he thought.

If he did it with the intention of putting pressure on Cotter then yeh not so Naive but then why deny it after?

Because his lies were found out and he realised it was time to hold his hands up maybe. The threat of legal action maybe.

The worrying fact for Scottish fans is it sounds like the rabbit almost got the win!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you have read a different article to me, but I didn't infer from anything I've read on this that that was what he thought.

Because his lies were found out and he realised it was time to hold his hands up maybe. The threat of legal action maybe.

I didn't read the articles i heard the interview/podcast.

The way it seemed the first time I read is was that Gray, Hogg etc. were more or less forced into it. Obviously, they weren't physically forced to kill the things, but it did seem very much like a thing of them being pressured to do it or their places in the squad would be at stake.

Without trying to sound like one of those animal cruelty claiming vegan types, this does really diminish my view of Cotter. (Effectively) Forcing his players to kill what sounded like they were the kind of rabbits that you have as pets, to me seems like a pointless and cruel exercise, both to the players and the animals. Maybe I'm just too sensitive though.

The way it seemed the first time I read is was that Gray, Hogg etc. were more or less forced into it. Obviously, they weren't physically forced to kill the things, but it did seem very much like a thing of them being pressured to do it or their places in the squad would be at stake.

Without trying to sound like one of those animal cruelty claiming vegan types, this does really diminish my view of Cotter. (Effectively) Forcing his players to kill what sounded like they were the kind of rabbits that you have as pets, to me seems like a pointless and cruel exercise, both to the players and the animals. Maybe I'm just too sensitive though.

Take a look at his Twitter account or the article linked above. As others have said, he's now saying that he exaggerated and nobody was forced to kill anything.

Jodie Foster set to play Jim Hamilton in Silence of the Rabbits..

Rabbits are vermin. Very tasty vermin. If you eat meat then you should be made to kill it from time to time

(Effectively) Forcing his players to kill what sounded like they were the kind of rabbits that you have as pets, to me seems like a pointless and cruel exercise, both to the players and the animals. Maybe I'm just too sensitive though.

What's the distinction? Other than fluffiness, that is...

Exactly. My wife's brain works the same way - she refuses to eat rabbit and venison on the basis that both are too cute to eat. I find all meats equally cute once in a casserole!

Them being pet rabbits wasn't really the point, it was more that he was forcing his players to kill animals when they didn't want to do that, when that should be their choice. But if it has turned out he was exaggerating then fair enough, it's not too bad.

What's the difference between domesticated rabbits and wild rabbits, vis a vis eating them?

I don't think there's any great disparity in intelligence or emotional "capability"... you know... the sorts of things that the vast majority of people take into account when deciding whether or not they'll eat it.

What's the difference between domesticated rabbits and wild rabbits, vis a vis eating them?

I don't think there's any great disparity in intelligence or emotional "capability"... you know... the sorts of things that the vast majority of people take into account when deciding whether or not they'll eat it.

So you've decided to completely ignore the bit where I said "Them being pet rabbits wasn't really the point" then...

Latest posts