• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Its weird how Anscombe seems to be the only bloody person in the World with any connection to Ulster rugby who reckons Payne should be ahead of Cave at 13. Bit mental really.

Think Ulster would have been better off bringing in a NIQ flanker, even if Payne is going to play 13. There's young guys who can play 15 and games are won up front. But there we go, if its true, he'll be exciting at least.

Are we not still to sign Brendan O'Conner from the Blues? He should be a pretty good signing for us as he's done well for the Blues when called upon this year. I've heard rumours that Fez is for retiring now which I'm sure a lot know. I think we could do with a young upcoming Irish back row player who is looking for game time who plays 6 or 8 because let be serious Wilson and Williams aren't going to last forever. I guess connor Joyce could fill that role?

That's the rumour, but following the Ludik thing I'll believe it when I see it. Even if he does come, he'll offer us openside cover to replace Sean Doyle - who really should have been kept - but won't boost the front line. For my money we need more big ball carriers up front, other than Fat Nick and Henderson there's not really a lot there, not with Fez at the very best being part time next season.

I'd agree that Ulster need to start blooding some back rows, the current lot are reaching the point where succession planning starts to get a little urgent. I'd like to see Joyce get more games, I think he's got the physicality if he can gain the experience, and most importantly he's not Mike McComish. Frankie Taggart and Lorcan Dow are both meant to be good - Dow's meant to be a tank - while Josh Atkinson and James Gallagher both might have something about them for the future. Urgently need some of them to pull the finger out. Of course, Henderson's an option too, but I think some of the young locks need to step up for Anscombe to consider that...

I hope the next Ulster coach agrees with me that Payne's a 15, Henderson's a 6 and that Olding should always start. I'd be ****** if we got another Anscombe.

Doyle was a good player who I agree we should go kept but he wanted to go home. If we do get O'Conner he will be just as good and, correct me if I'm wrong, a couple years younger too. But let's hope we get him. I personally wasn't fussed on Ludik coming, I would rather we get Hogg.

Joyce looked quite good against Munster, but yes he needs an extra bit of physicality. We will have to keep a close eye on Frankie Taggart At the JWC if he gets some game time. Atkinson impressed me for Inst last year and was a good leader as well. Gallacher was outstanding for Methody in the couple matches I saw him in. However I have no idea how these young players are doing at the minute.

The Irish JWC captain is a brilliant second row, I would love it if we could steal him from Connacht.

Im not so sure where Hendersons best position will be but I can see a 4. Van Der Merwe 5. Tuohy 6. Henderson which would be pretty strong. But the subs second row would be a place of uncertainty.

Payne is a 15 no doubt and Olding will be brilliant, but it'll be interesting to see how he reacts to the knee. Hmm I wonder who will be the next ulster coach actually. Probably Neil Doak?

If this is true. We could have a team capable of beating anyone on their day. Our biggest weakness is props, Vunipola and Johnstone haven't been that great, Figallo is possibly the best tighthead in the world

If this is true. We could have a team capable of beating anyone on their day. Our biggest weakness is props, Vunipola and Johnstone haven't been that great, Figallo is possibly the best tighthead in the world

I keep repeating it, but never get tired of it: Pacific Islanders just - can't - scrummage - for shhite. It's just a genetic, physiological thing. They can produce 200kg tightheads who can sidestep, throw dummies and run in tries and all, but (most of the time) can't scrummage. Ain't nothin like white meat for that. Haven't seen Figallo all year for Montypellier, and he would add a fantastic dimension to the Saracens. Again, I like the Saracens quite a bit I must say, and I'd like em more with a truly rugged scrum.

Toulouse's main problem this year has been their scrummaging. Census Johnston has been widely regarded as the best Pacific Islander scrummager for years now, and he'll occasionally get destroyed at scrum-time. The MASS thing doesn't apply per se (I never said it did, just to be clear). The dude is 140 fkng kilos 1m90, built like a mastodon. Watch him get ANNIHILATED by 1m80 110kg De Marchi at 4:10:

And while I'm on the subject, look at Vunipola get pulverized at 2:57 by Rizzo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because in general islanders are way more powerful than most other ethnic groups - but they aren't necessarily as strong.

Again - it's the difference between power and strength.

Cencus Johnston in fairness has had some great days scrummaging wise. He wouldn't have had such a long career at the top level otherwise. He was part of the Toulouse scrum was completely rinsed Biarritz in 2010 in the Heineken Cup final, and Toulon in the 2012 Top 14 final. He's delivered on the biggest stages over a pretty successful career, just appears less suited to the new engagements. His brother likewise.

Another Islander, Soane Tonga'uiha also was one of the best looseheads in the league for a while at Northampton. His form though, from what I have seen and heard of Racing, has dwindled even more dramatically this season under the new engagements.

Logovi'i Mulipola also is seen as reasonably okay, if not one of the most dominant with Leicester but has struggled at times without Ayerza there though with Samoa. Taufa'ao Filise is nowhere near an elite level scrummager, but has had a long career and is serviceable and good enough to be considerably better than Scott Andrews.

Other than that though, the cupboard is pretty bare. The worst though is Fiji, that Campese Ma'afu is their first choice prop says all you need to know. They've never produced anyone of note in history either. Samoa produced Olo Brown one the world's top tightheads of the mid 90's.

As for Saracens signing Figallo. A good signing on paper, but you have to consider a bit of risk attached considering the injuries he's had. He's only played about 6 games since the start of 2013. He suffered a 5 month injury after seriously injuring his collar bone, and has not played a minute all season due to a serious neck injury which required surgery.

Considering he hasn't played a minute for Montpellier all season, and is still scheduled to miss the Rugby Championship it will have been over a year since he last played rugby by the time he gets on the pitch. Whilst he may have been a good player beforehand, there's never a guarantee that he will be exactly the same calibre of player coming back from injuries that were clearly quite deep. Duncan Jones of the Ospreys was on a par with Gethin Jenkins around 2006/07, but got a serious foot injury that reoccurred and he never had the same impact again.

Last edited by a moderator:
1259153561.jpg

Mulipola has struggled this season as he hasn't fully recovered yet from his leg injury.

Also Matera is now apprantley staying at Leicester on another 1 year deal.

Cencus Johnston in fairness has had some great days scrummaging wise. He wouldn't have had such a long career at the top level otherwise. He was part of the Toulouse scrum was completely rinsed Biarritz in 2010 in the Heineken Cup final, and Toulon in the 2012 Top 14 final. He's delivered on the biggest stages over a pretty successful career, just appears less suited to the new engagements. His brother likewise.

Another Islander, Soane Tonga'uiha also was one of the best looseheads in the league for a while at Northampton. His form though, from what I have seen and heard of Racing, has dwindled even more dramatically this season under the new engagements.

That goes back to the strength vs power difference. The hit has been taken away from the scrum which suited the power players but now its swung back to suiting the strong players.

out of curiosity, what do YOU GUYS consider is the difference betw. strength and power ? Someone give me a well thought, concise definition so it's nice and clear.

out of curiosity, what do YOU GUYS consider is the difference betw. strength and power ? Someone give me a well thought, concise definition so it's nice and clear.

In my view strength is the ability to produce a constant amount of force over a period of time, whereas Power is the ability to produce a quick explosive amount of force for generally a shorter amount of time.

In my view strength is the ability to produce a constant amount of force over a period of time, whereas Power is the ability to produce a quick explosive amount of force for generally a shorter amount of time.

seems to be what the others are implying, yes...
so basically 'strength' is Morbid Angel, and 'power' is Sepultura....gotcha.

Latest posts