• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2013/14

399192_637186926306398_70403626_n.jpg

Theuns Kotze - Pays d'Aix RC (Pro D2)

Hopefully he'll do well there, was one of my favourite players along with Tanaka at the last World Cup. I'd even of been happy if it were Connacht taking a punt on him.

That's true in that James O'Connor could go to the Saracens? Because none of the Super Rugby Australian team would be interested in it

Last edited:
Where would he play at Saracens? Back on the wing? 15 while Goode's with England?
Sarries are pretty settled at 10/12/13 - depth is always good but I can't see JOC going anywhere he's not going to be starting, and if his preferred position is 10 then he's not going to be ahead of Farrell or Charlie.

Froby expected to kill his career after reportedly signing an extension with the Dragons until June 2016.

Froby expected to kill his career after reportedly signing an extension with the Dragons until June 2016.

Fair play to him if true. He must have had a lot of big money offers, whilst the other 3 Welsh regions would have been in the hunt as well.

Gotta admit, I'd love to see him play for a better team, but he's developing nicely at the Dragons and if Lyn Jones can recruit some better calibre players in the future and the young developing players come through well, the Dragons could improve.

Fair play to him if true. He must have had a lot of big money offers, whilst the other 3 Welsh regions would have been in the hunt as well.

Gotta admit, I'd love to see him play for a better team, but he's developing nicely at the Dragons and if Lyn Jones can recruit some better calibre players in the future and the young developing players come through well, the Dragons could improve.

Yep, key to any team looking to develop is to get a high profile guy signed and sealed then build around that. Its good for the Dragons and great for the regions as we keep one of our stars in the set up.

Is he trying to be the biggest fish in the smallest pond? :huh:

Good on him and the Dragons, but he's killing his chances of competing for anything meaningful.

Awful decision by Toby. One of the top young Welsh talent will be stuck in the Amlin and lower reaches of the Pro12 playing alongside umpteen crap players in an environment that has a woefully abysmal track record of bringing on top talent to their full potential.

Is he trying to be the biggest fish in the smallest pond? :huh:

Good on him and the Dragons, but he's killing his chances of competing for anything meaningful.

Yeah, being the starting 8 during a Grand Slam and Lions win is pretty bad.
He'd have to leave Wales for any club glory, and I think he is quite happy in the Dragons environment, despite others trying to get him to leave.
Ideally, we'd keep a hold of other players (Charteris, Lydiate, Brew) and actually develop a decent side. We have no hope if we lose every promising player. I do wonder what we will do with Ieuan Jones, he seems like the next Welsh 8 in development (already a better 8 than McCusker and Pretorius).

It's not even like he's done a short/medium term deal... three years is a long ****ing time.

Toby is still a very young chap (22), and anybody who has heard him interviewed about his personal life will know he is very much a 'home' person, and frankly very comfortable in Gwent. His whole family is there, he has played a great deal of rugby there, and it is an environment he enjoys being in. Why force him to leave for the sake of potential improvement? Last thing we want is him doing a Gethin (but ~10 years younger) and getting messed up in a different environment. He knows what he wants.

Furthermore, I have heard many say that he should go to the Ospreys. Sure, Jones/Tipuric/Froby would be an immense backrow. It is evident, however, that the Ospreys are struggling for money to sign players. All regions are. I really don't think they'd blow their cash on an 8 right now, when you consider that haven't even been able to get comparable cover at scrum half and in the back three. Scarlet pack is not really an improvement over the Dragons, and I really don't want to see Toby being 'developed' by Phil Davies (although Lyn Jones is hardly stellar). He will be 25 when this contract is up, and in a better position to move abroad if he so desires.

Last edited:
Yeah, being the starting 8 during a Grand Slam and Lions win is pretty bad.
He'd have to leave Wales for any club glory, and I think he is quite happy in the Dragons environment, despite others trying to get him to leave.
Ideally, we'd keep a hold of other players (Charteris, Lydiate, Brew) and actually develop a decent side. We have no hope if we lose every promising player. I do wonder what we will do with Ieuan Jones, he seems like the next Welsh 8 in development (already a better 8 than McCusker and Pretorius).
You know I was talking about club glory.

I think that the Ospreys are at least within the chance of winning the Pro12 and shouldn't be discarded from the HC. If they had Toby, they'd strengthen one of their weaker positions too.

You know I was talking about club glory.

I think that the Ospreys are at least within the chance of winning the Pro12 and shouldn't be discarded from the HC. If they had Toby, they'd strengthen one of their weaker positions too.

This is what would happen in Ireland if there was a player of the equivalent at Connacht, or in South Africa where the big 3 swoop up the top talent and play for better teams at better level.

But the dumb WRU decide a team that produces 2 members of the 6N squad deserves the same funding as a team who produces over 10, meaning a side that could potentially challenge for honours is hamstrung financially and struggling to keep players and can't afford to sign Faletau due to funds wasted on the Dragons so the only option for a Lydiate is abroad. The WRU should focus on getting 2 or 3 sides to get players perform at the top European level, and fund the Dragons like Ireland do with Connacht.

[h=2]London Wasps have added the Argentine international lock Esteban Lozada to their squad ahead of the upcoming season.[/h]

Lozada, capped 22 times by his country, joins from French Top 14 side Agen and has immediately linked up with the squad this week at a pre season camp in France.

One totally out of the blue. New Bristol signing Peter Buxton has now retired has been released from his deal with us. No idea if its due to injury or whatever

Latest posts