• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers 2016-2017

Gorômaru left Toulon to rejoin YAMAHA in Japan's Top League. I think that his biggest mistake was that he joined Reds not Sunwolves.

Brandon Thomson from Stormers to Glasgow presumably as medium term replacement for Finn. 22 years old so could he be the "project player" flyhalf Scotland so desperately need?

And is he any good!?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40492203

He can't be a Scottish project player. He has represented South Africa as a Junior Bok (U20 player), which is our designated second national side. As a result he is locked in as a South African and cannot play for any other nation.

He can't be a Scottish project player. He has represented South Africa as a Junior Bok (U20 player), which is our designated second national side. As a result he is locked in as a South African and cannot play for any other nation.

U20 cannot be the second designated team starting next year, so maybe he is free come then..

Hah, well that's that cleared up. Sooner the five year residency comes in and these issues reduce a bit, the better.

More importantly why is the lad going to Glasgow and Edinburgh are completely overlooked, again. Was hoping Cockerill's presence would have resulted in a few bones being tossed Edinburgh's way, but apparently not.

U20 cannot be the second designated team starting next year, so maybe he is free come then..

I don't think they retrospectively redact it though, pretty sure once you are locked in, you are locked in. I presume that's why World Rugby has the list of second designated teams all the way back to around 2000 on their website.

I think it's a shame if they have made that the rule, locking in players at U20 levels was a good way to prevent foreign countries from picking out young 'project' players to play for their country. Do you have any articles on that? Would like to read a bit more on that and google is failing me.

I don't think they retrospectively redact it though, pretty sure once you are locked in, you are locked in. I presume that's why World Rugby has the list of second designated teams all the way back to around 2000 on their website.

I think it's a shame if they have made that the rule, locking in players at U20 levels was a good way to prevent foreign countries from picking out young 'project' players to play for their country. Do you have any articles on that? Would like to read a bit more on that and google is failing me.

• Unions may no longer nominate their U20s team as their next senior national representative team (effective 1 January, 2018) (majority)
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/245382?lang=en

I think you're right that once done, it's done (unless you use the 7s loophole).

However, nominating age-grade rugby was always a silly thing. The 2nd team had to be a "senior" team - so chosing your juniors for it was always a bad idea; not to mention that it really ought to be a team with an open selection categorisation (so not limited by age or genetics). And that's quite apart from asking 18 and 19 year-olds to lock themselves in like that (without a senior cap) is just silly.
The principal was suposed to be that the player is at or very near to the national squad - not simply the 3rd best SH in his school year.

I think you're right that once done, it's done (unless you use the 7s loophole).

However, nominating age-grade rugby was always a silly thing. The 2nd team had to be a "senior" team - so chosing your juniors for it was always a bad idea; not to mention that it really ought to be a team with an open selection categorisation (so not limited by age or genetics). And that's quite apart from asking 18 and 19 year-olds to lock themselves in like that (without a senior cap) is just silly.
The principal was suposed to be that the player is at or very near to the national squad - not simply the 3rd best SH in his school year.

I hope it encourages more "A" international games.

I hope it encourages more "A" international games.

There has already been quite a big pick up in this though, hasn't there? At least from a South African perspective, we went from not really playing an A side to having five matches in two months (against the Saxons and Barbarians). I don't know if the other XVs have been seeing a similar increase in this though.

Fekitoa to Toulon seems like a done deal.
Who's gonna be their FB next season with Halfpenny, O'Connor and Goromaru all leaving?

Latest posts