• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The technology thread

Not sure that figures right about the amount killed. Probably around 1.5 - 2 thousand. Might be right if accounting for serious injuries but 36k killed seems very high tbh.
Sorry, you're right there. That was a KSI fugure I was looking at, so killed or seriously injured. And even that figure has come down in recent years.

Too right. VM hiked my BB up by 29% this year. Greedy B'stards.
I can get a better contract with O2 than the one I have for nearly half the price... It's a joke. I'm only keeping the contract as I have the boost thing with VM as a result and don't want to have to mess around with that potentially being made void by getting a new contract, even if it is still with O2. We are being fleeced on all fronts in this ******* country.

Anticipating him saying some really wild **** on twitter to try and bury that news

Surely this must be taken to court at some point? You can't force people to remain in a contract they don't want and then threaten them with fees. I'm with Virgin and not looking forward to potentially having to deal with this **** at the end of my contract.

For anyone here that understands the law round this, can you simply tell the bank to stop paying if you have proof you have made legitimate attempts to terminate the contract and they are preventing that by obstructing? If that went to court would they have any sort of defence?

Surely this must be taken to court at some point? You can't force people to remain in a contract they don't want and then threaten them with fees. I'm with Virgin and not looking forward to potentially having to deal with this **** at the end of my contract.

For anyone here that understands the law round this, can you simply tell the bank to stop paying if you have proof you have made legitimate attempts to terminate the contract and they are preventing that by obstructing? If that went to court would they have any sort of defence?
You'll get taken to court by them and it'll likely be in part of the country you can't easially attend.

Many eons ago BT were charging me for a broadband line they never installed.
When I rang them they said my account didn't exist.
When I cancelled the Direct Debit they took me to court.
I lived in Dorset the court was in Nothumberland
As I couldn't attend and present my evidence the court found against me.

Well with VM you need to give 30 days notice to end your contract. My one ended 10 December and I didn't know about this notice period until I spoke to them at the end of November. So still have to pay until end of December. This contrasts to if peeps are with Sky or BT where they use BT's network so once the contract ends then you're free to switch.

They have tried to entice me with a 1 month free offer but I've had enough of their price hikes. So
Will be glad to be shot of them.

The cheeky f'ers even put a late payment charge on my last bill even though I pay by DD.

Just re-negotiated my Virgin Media. Now's the time to call, litterally straight through, everyone's obviously too busy with Christmas.

In the end got mine back down to £42/month for 125MB + phone (not that we use it) + medium TV package. Could have got a similar deal elsewhere for around £30, but decided the hassle of switching, losing the recordings on the TV box, sending kit back etc. wasn't worth it. We've also had almost a rock solid service from VM for 15 years bar a couple of hickups. Not heard the same about some other providers.

Just re-negotiated my Virgin Media. Now's the time to call, litterally straight through, everyone's obviously too busy with Christmas.

In the end got mine back down to £42/month for 125MB + phone (not that we use it) + medium TV package. Could have got a similar deal elsewhere for around £30, but decided the hassle of switching, losing the recordings on the TV box, sending kit back etc. wasn't worth it. We've also had almost a rock solid service from VM for 15 years bar a couple of hickups. Not heard the same about some other providers.
They keep hassling me and now offered me £19pm for 125Mb Or £100 credit now I am out of contract and given them notice. This was coming down from £33pm when I called end of November. Pot luck what you get and who you speak to. I would also say VM's upload speeds are rubbish - only 20Mb/s upload which is slow if uploading pics and videos.

Sod that staying with Community fibre's 500Mb download and upload for £20pm for 2 years with a price increase of CPI
rather than VM's RPI. So far, so good speed wise apart from it takes a bit of time to get going. I like how it's FTTP vs VM's FTTC.

The issue in my area is that now VM have a competitor finally that offers fibre optic broadband only, which I didn't have before.

Down side for me was Virgins kit coming out of the Ark. Having a box on the wall plugged into a socket with a cable running round the living room to the media box. Having to have the box in the bedroom hardwired with another cable that the guy that came to install couldn't do properly as it was too high being a town house.

They keep hassling me and now offered me £19pm for 125Mb Or £100 credit now I am out of contract and given them notice. This was coming down from £33pm when I called end of November. Pot luck what you get and who you speak to. I would also say VM's upload speeds are rubbish - only 20Mb/s upload which is slow if uploading pics and videos.

Sod that staying with Community fibre's 500Mb download and upload for £20pm for 2 years with a price increase of CPI
rather than VM's RPI. So far, so good speed wise apart from it takes a bit of time to get going. I like how it's FTTP vs VM's FTTC.

The issue in my area is that now VM have a competitor finally that offers fibre optic broadband only, which I didn't have before.
Christ, that's good value! I couldn't get anywhere close to that, with sky/talk talk/plusnet etc. the cheapest @ £29pm for 145Mb. Money saving expert suggests that operators make slight losses on these 'new customer' deals in order to entice people, so I figured I could live with £42pm.

Christ, that's good value! I couldn't get anywhere close to that, with sky/talk talk/plusnet etc. the cheapest @ £29pm for 145Mb. Money saving expert suggests that operators make slight losses on these 'new customer' deals in order to entice people, so I figured I could live with £42pm.
Indeed. I am taking their word on the 60 day guarantee otherwise I can leave. Also, that only will pay £2 more out of contact and I have signed for 24m compared to the 18ms I was with VM.

So far the 500Mb/s download and uploads have held firm. The only issue is when I turn it on in the morning it can take a while to connect. So got to keep an eye on that.

An interesting development if it goes anywhere. I do wonder about the claimed sustainability of the wood though. If you cut down old forests and replace it with a monoculture wood forest, it's sustainable from a CO2 perspective but decimates biodiversity, which people are beginning to recognise is a problem as we are already in a major extinction event. In general though, if we can move back towards more wooden constructions without too many downsides and can do so with sustainable forests, it could be a pretty big step forward.

Tech and safety procedures/early warning has limited the damage and saved lives in Japan's most recent earthquake. Although sadly 5/6 on the coastguard plane died.

Latest posts