• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Stormers thread

Anton Van Zyl got injured in the warm up games , he is expected back in the next few week , I will try and find out quickly

Anton Van Zyl got injured in the warm up games , he is expected back in the next few week , I will try and find out quickly

Ahh, bugger. I thought it odd that he wasn't even on the bench against the lions. Hope he gets fit soon as we are going to need him in tight games (which will probably be every game LOL). We haven't even started and already have 3 1st choice forwards out. LOL, my worst fears are coming true. Aplon is a worry as well but our forward depth is limited.

Stormers vs Cheetahs

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29124

Stormers:
15. Conrad Jantjes,14. Danie Poolman,13. Juan De Jongh,12. Jean De Villiers (C),11. Bryan Habana,10. Peter Grant,9. Ricky Januarie,8. Duane Vermuelen,7. Francois Louw,6. Pieter Louw,5. Andries Bekker,4. Rynhardt Elstadt,3. Brok Harris,2. Deon Fourie,1. CJ van Der Linde
Reserves:16. Siyabonga Ntubeni,17. Frans Malherbe,18. De Kock Steenkamp,19. Nick Koster,20. Dewaldt Duvenage,21. Gary Van Aswegen,22. Paul Bosch

Cheetahs:
Cheetahs: 1. Coenie Oosthuizen, 2. Ryno Barnes, 3. WP Nel, 4. Waltie Vermeulen, 5. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 6. Kabamba Floors, 7. Francois Uys, 8. Ashley Johnson, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 10. Naas Olivier (c),11. Ryno Benjamin, 12. Andries Strauss, 13. Robert Ebersohn, 14 Philip Snyman, Hennie Daniller.
Replacements: Skipper Badenhorst, Kobus Calldo, Martin Muller, Philip van der Walt, Tewis de Bruyn, Sias Ebersohn, Riaan Viljoen

Well, with Liebenberg, van Zyl and Burger injured our forwards look as good as they can be. Cheetahs also missing forward personel. In the bak we are going to miss Jaque Fourie (another key injury along with Aplon) but luckily de Jongh is classy as well (would prefer JdJ and Fourie with JdV on the bench though) while grant takes his rightful place but Januarie.. I can't understand why he still starts!?!?!

Cheetahs alo battling with injuries (Strauss, Brussow, Smith, Viljoen, Nokwe) but they pushed the Bulls and will be looking to do the same at Newlands. Their backrow is a pacey one but at Newlands, with slightly heavier surface, I feel our defense will pull us through.

Why, please someone enlighten me why... JANUARIE? WHY?

WHYYYYYYYY?

I think I just had a stroke :/

Why, please someone enlighten me why... JANUARIE? WHY?

WHYYYYYYYY?

I think I just had a stroke :/

Don't worry, according to someone on 606 (...I know...) he is wanted by the Ospreys.
You're welcome, I suppose. :p

Don't worry, according to someone on 606 (...I know...) he is wanted by the Ospreys.
You're welcome, I suppose. :p

If (hopefully its "when") he goes to the Ospreys it will probably only be after the RWC, we want him to **** off NOW!!

If (hopefully its "when") he goes to the Ospreys it will probably only be after the RWC, we want him to **** off NOW!!

I'm sure you wouldn't say that if he did another stunt like NZ 2008 in the RWC final.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you wouldn't say that if he did another stunt like NZ 2008 in the RWC final.

A bit of luck in that try really, ball could have bounced in another direction and then there would have been no try, great try none the less, won't argue about that!But players can't continue to live on past reputation, Januarie is crap and Duvenage is best 1st choice scrum-half for the Stormers, end of story!

Same goes for other SA players in the Springbok squad, Spies isn't the "freak of nature", "unstoppable force" of 2-3 years back, we now got guys like Willem Alberts, Duane Vermuelen, Ashley Johnson ect...
Habana has gone way off track, we now have Mvovo, Bjorn Basson ect...

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of luck in that try really, ball could have bounced in another direction and then there would have been no try, great try none the less, won't argue about that!But players can't continue to live on past reputation, Januarie is crap and Duvenage is best 1st choice scrum-half for the Stormers, end of story!

Same goes for other SA players in the Springbok squad, Spies isn't the "freak of nature", "unstoppable force" of 2-3 years back, we now got guys like Willem Alberts, Duane Vermuelen, Ashley Johnson ect...

Yep, a kind bounce made the difference between a great try and a hilarious failure.
No doubt Duvenage is better; he should be starting over Enrico Ricardo.

Yes, too many players are too comfortable. PdV should be honest with these players and himself much like Deans dropped Drew Mitchell and he is now the form winger in world rugby (though I'm sure the English would want too argue that one)

And the Stormers are carrying too many of these players; Januarie, Habana the worst but de Villiers and van der Linde also need to step up their game or step out.

I'm concerned as these players' coasting along coupled with injuries to Liebenberg, van Zyl, Burger, Fourie and Aplon means the Stormers are at 50% strength and we could easily drop a game in the next week or two in games that we should have targeted for log 5 points.

If Spies is a freak of nature, what does that make Bekker? :D

When you look at the 2007 squad that won the World Cup you cannot just use the same players. Montgomery and du Randt retired, Spies (who missed the RWC due to injury), Habana, de Villiers, James, Bakkies Botha, Burger and Smit are not the players anymore they used to be and have been surpassed by better players in the likes of Mvovo, Bekker, Alberts, Bismarck du Plessis, de Jongh and some amazing talented players who, after their club-performances, deserve a chance in the likes of Patrick Lambie, Keegan Daniel, Ryan Kankowski, Vermeulen, Brussow, van den Heever, Hougaard and Flip van der Merwe.

The biggest issue though, is fullback. Who do we put there? Kirchner is not good enough, Aplon is a winger, Lambie and Pienaar are better in different positions but can play there, just like Francois Steyn but I would like to see Ludik and Jantjes (not Jantjies) for that position and include Gary Botha as a backup-hooker. From the Stormers I would give Liebenberg a chance but he won't be playing for a while.

When you look at the 2007 squad that won the World Cup you cannot just use the same players. Montgomery and du Randt retired, Spies (who missed the RWC due to injury), Habana, de Villiers, James, Bakkies Botha, Burger and Smit are not the players anymore they used to be and have been surpassed by better players in the likes of Mvovo, Bekker, Alberts, Bismarck du Plessis, de Jongh and some amazing talented players who, after their club-performances, deserve a chance in the likes of Patrick Lambie, Keegan Daniel, Ryan Kankowski, Vermeulen, Brussow, van den Heever, Hougaard and Flip van der Merwe.

The biggest issue though, is fullback. Who do we put there? Kirchner is not good enough, Aplon is a winger, Lambie and Pienaar are better in different positions but can play there, just like Francois Steyn but I would like to see Ludik and Jantjes (not Jantjies) for that position and include Gary Botha as a backup-hooker. From the Stormers I would give Liebenberg a chance but he won't be playing for a while.

Agree wholeheartedly. These guys should have started to be phased out after the 2009 B&I Lions tour but they did well and PdV isn't the type of coach for difficult decisions and rather is just holding thumbs that the old guard have one last campaign in them. If we look at the newer talent that he has brought in, 90% of the time it was because he was forced to due to injury. It is probably getting too late now and guys like Bekker and Brussow also had a tough time due to injury to absolutely usurp the places of Matfield/Burger. Here's hoping that hoping for the best might just work out for us (and then PdV will be praised as a genius LOL, well not quite but you can be sure he will consider himslef right all along). If those players had had more time in the Bok jersey last year and EoYT 2009 I would have liked a 30 man squad looking like this:

1 Guthro Steenkamp
2 Bismarck du Plessis
3 Jannie du Plessis
4 Danie Rossouw
5 Andries Bekker
6 Heinrich Brussouw
7 Juan Smith (c)
8 Willem Alberts
9 Fourie du Preez
10 Morne Steyn
11 Lwazi Mvovo
12 Juan de Jongh
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Bjorn Basson
15 Patrick Lambie

16 Tendai Mtawarira
17 Tiaan Liebenberg
18 Flip van der Merwe
19 Jean Deysel
20 Jano Vermaak
21 Louis Ludik
22 Frans Steyn

Werner Kruger / Brok Harris / Adriaan Strauss / Steven Sykes / Dewald Potgieter / Ruan Pienaar / Peter Grant / Gio Aplon

Had the older(Smit, Matfield, Botha, BJ)/off form(Habana, Januarie, JdV, van der Linde, Burger) guys been let be this would still have been a very experienced side IMO.

Last edited:
I wonder. Is it a coincidence that all the guys I listed as being off form are from WP? Yikes.

What in the world is happening at the Stormers ????

For the second week running I found myself bored and frustrated to death watching the Stormers !! At least this time the game was NOT the last game of the weekend !! I said it then on FB and I will repeat it again now , I would rather we lose positively than win playing such utter crap. We have no direction and our gameplan seems to be hoping that the other team loses instead of us trying to win ! Once again we got our selections wrong !

Where is JJ Engelbreght and Lionel Cronje ? Why are they not starting ahead of Janjies and Poolman ? Janjies is not the same player and his injury seemed to have done greater mental harm than physical harm , he offers nothing in the counter and he shies from physical contact , all he has is a good boot which Lionel Cronje has more of anyway. Poolman I don’t know , he is young and inexperienced , why not play JJ ? He has been groomed the last 2 years and has a taste of Super rugby already. Then the question has to be asked , WHY RICKY ??? WHY WHY WHY ??? He was never your typical scrummie but unlike previous times we only see his weakness , gone are the sniping and aggressive runs around the fringes , age caught up. He is too slow , period. Devenhague , not necessary the long term solution is far better than Januarie and adequate at Super level.Anyways , here is my view on the team

15 - Janjies , weak game , positional play ok but that’s about the best one can say about him , he should go and play Vodacom cup to get some form and maybe see if he is still hungry and willing to risk his body. I would play Lionel Cronje or Aplon at 15. Cronje has the better boot anyways.

14 - Poolman , cannot really find much fault on his behalf except he is very green , saw little to convince me in 2 games that he is ready. I would play Aplon or JJ on the wing.

13 - De Jongh , tried hard but got little good ball due to januaries slow mo play. I would keep him , monster on defense

12 - JDV - They say form is temp and class in permanent , U hope so cos Jean is starting to play like De Wet crash balling alles !!

11 - Suprise Suprise and the only positive of this weekend’s game , the hunger is getting back. I see some fire in the belly of Habs !! Maybe he read my post last week lol , heres to wishing him the best and proving why he was once rated as the very best wing in the world.

10 - Grant , much better game than Gary last week , more direct and kicked his kicks well. Grant will never dictate a game like young Lambie but he is more than able at Super rugby level

9 - Janierie - crap , gamos , slow. He is so slow I thought I was watching the replay in slow mo at one stage. He should call it a day , I dont know who decided to pick him and I was very tempted to ask Fleckie last week when I saws him in Canal walk just what do they see in Ricky ?

8 - Was never the fastest but now sadly not the strongest , Dunno whats up with Duane and he is losing ground every week , he put in some monster defensive hits though in his defense , maybe the Kid needs a chance ??

7 - Flo , better this week but still way off the pace , our loosies seems to hold back ?? Flo sadly from one of the top flanks last season this time to probably about 6 or 7th on the list. I would play the Elkstad (lock) laatie ahead of him at this stage.

6 - Peter Louw aka Tobie Cronje as always Mr Dependable , WP rugby are blessed to have him , a player who box above his weight !!

5 - Bekker was ok , nothing great but nothing too bad

4 - My man of the match !! This laaitie is going places ! Is lock his best position though ?

3 - Brock Harris , I was surprised by Brocks play , having said that it looks as if he injured his hand early on and that troubled him.

2 - Tried hard , good in the loose but not so lekka in the scrums and lineout , I blame his props for the scrums though.

1 - JASSIS , I hope the people who all raved about CJ would now just give it up !! I said it LOOOONG time ago , I don’t rate the oke , he cannot scrum to save his life and was found wanting on 2 successive weekends !! How long will Blaauw be injured ?

You certainly did but a lot of people make the mistake which results in confusion. Jantjies (Elton from the Lions) is pronounced with a K (Jankies) and Jantjes (Conrad from the Stormers) is pronounced just like it's written. Saturday, the commentator (cannot remember who it was) said during the match they got a bunch of emails and messages on Facebook and Twitter about the wrong pronouncing of the name when in fact it was correct ;)

Latest posts