• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Stormers thread

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
How do you rate the Stormers' chances for 2011? Who would you like to see in the run on XV? Etc.

Apart from Grant still being in Japan and unavailable it seems as if the Stormers camp is in good shape and would expect to build on their success 2010; Apart from the loss of Willem de Waal, Joe Pietersen and rookie Conrad Hoffmann we have all the boys from last year ready and 1 year more experienced. Our squad is more settled and the inclusion of veterans Jean de Villiers and CJ van der Linde can only help with the prospects of a very long season of Super rugby. Back from long injury lay-off also is Conrad Jantjes along with Andries Bekker and Nick Koster to shore up depth in the forwards.

All in all I expect big things from the boys this year and can't wait for round 2 to start. Apart from the obvious disadvantage of missing the 1st round (coming in fresh where other teams have had 1 hard 'real' hit-out under the belt and having less rest time throughout the tourney) we actually have a decent enough draw with us playing in SA for the first half of the tourney and only travelling at a time when we should in all likelyhood have some momentum behind us. There aren't many more difficult teams to miss than the Waratahs and Hurricanes so that is a bnus as well, although those 2 along with the Reds are probably our main contenders for the play-off spots as I see the Crusaders, Bulls and Sharks as being more competitive than us.

With De Waal off and Grant unavailable this is the time for either Lionel Cronje or Gary van Aswegen to step up. Flyhalf is the only position where we don't have at least 2 experienced players covering a position (arguably Deon Fourie at hooker is also somewhat inexperienced though) so the tri-series against the Sharks and Lions will be very interesting in that regard.

I fell what we should concentrate on is winning both home and away games against the Lions and Cheetahs (easier said than done as we saw in the past CC) and all our home games (Crusaders especially will be tough). I can't see us winning at Loftus or Durban but feel we are a good shot in our Australasian leg where, for the most part, we face the 'lesser' of what Aus and Nz have to offer. We will need some luck too as we have a tough ask to qualify for the play-offs with the Bulls and Sharks in our conference but they should be giving us the same respect.

Stormers starting XV for 1st trial against Lions on Friday

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28534

CJ van der Linde - should be good value and adds good depth where we most need it
Tiaan Liebenberg
Brok Harris
De Kock Steenkamp - a good time to test the depth
Schalk Burger
Rynhardt Elstadt
Duane Vermeulen
Ricky Januarie - I hope they have drilled him during the off season. Saw him at the supermarket and have to say he does look leaner than usual
Gary van Aswegen - the right guy IMO. Hope he steps up
Bryan Habana - had some time, hopefully it has done his game some good
Jean de Villiers
Juan de Jongh
Gio Aplon
Conrad Jantjes

All in all a decent squad and one can understand that Allister is using this to test a few of the question marks. Steenkamp and Elstadt are 3rd choice cover but it is good to give them some time now. Here's hoping Januarie and Habana have found some form because on form they can really help make this year a great one for the Stormers. I for one am happy with van Aswegen ahead of Cronje for now and its a blessing in disguise that Grant is only joining the squad later on.

Ricky Januarie - I hope they have drilled him during the off season. Saw him at the supermarket and have to say he does look leaner than usual

No doubt he was getting himself back into his old physique.

Is Jaque on the bench for this match? There will no doubt be tough competition midfield this season.
Bekker is starting, might have just missed him off your list.

Yeah you forgot to mention Bekker, I thought it was mighty strange that Schalk was running up as a lock :p

Oops. That's why numbering is so important. Sorry, Andries.

It looks like Anton van Zyl, Dewald Duvenhage and Francois Louw are injury concerns and that is the main reason why they aren't mentioned. Hope they make a quick return as they are all 3 key players.

Anton van Zyl has been steadily improving over the last year and a half and will be missed even though we do have some depth at lock but the other two will be missed real bad IMO. We don't have experienced depth at scrumhalf though unless Bolla Conradie gets called up from the Boland.

As to the bench; I have no idea. It has been hinted at that the bench will be large but no names as yet but probably something to that effect will be announced soon. I have a feeling that the only reason they named the starting XV already is to help with ticket sales that people know that a few of their favourite players will be starting.

That young prop from Paul Roos sounds exciting, I wish I could bench press 160 Kgs

That young prop from Paul Roos sounds exciting, I wish I could bench press 160 Kgs

Yeah, Kitshoff is a real talent. 18 and straight into the S15 squad. That is crazy. Especially if you consider that he is a prop and the Stormers' penchant for getting in the geriatrics. That said, I am glad that we are finally giving our youngsters a chance and these guys might hang around in the Cape for a while longer because the WPRU is showing that there is place for youth. Hopefully this will be the end of us losing all our best youth players.

http://www.sarugby.com/2011/01/26/formidable-stormers-xv-for-lions-warm-up/

Bench named.

I have to say I don't recognizehalf those forwards named. Some exciting youngsters named. It will be interesting to see whether this trend continues into the actual tournament or whether AC just wants to check the depth for now. Glad to see the Boland is also represented in Elgar Watts; I can't remember when last a Boland player, if ever, featured for the Stormers. I was worried about the flyhalf berth but between Watts, van Aswegen and Cronje we are sorted for talented back-up if not all that experienced.

Springboks, past and present who learned their trade in the Boland area include among others: Bolla Conradie, Hilton Lobberts, Derick Hougaard, Francois Hougaard, Jean de Villiers, Schalk Burger, JP Peterson, Andries Bekker, Gurthro Steenkamp, Heini Adams, Sampie Mastriet (Sevens), Danwel Demas (Sevens), Ryno Benjamin (Sevens), Ashley Johnson and Juan de Jongh.

hope stormers can win the super 15 this year. the saders ,the bulls and the stormers will be the big 3 this year and maybe the blues or the chiefs could sneak in a challange in aswell !

DAMN DUTCHMEN !!!!!!!!!!! :p

Springboks, past and present who learned their trade in the Boland area include among others: Bolla Conradie, Hilton Lobberts, Derick Hougaard, Francois Hougaard, Jean de Villiers, Schalk Burger, JP Peterson, Andries Bekker, Gurthro Steenkamp, Heini Adams, Sampie Mastriet (Sevens), Danwel Demas (Sevens), Ryno Benjamin (Sevens), Ashley Johnson and Juan de Jongh.

and those are only the recent ones. If WP ever allowed Boland rugby to be based from Stellenbosch/Paarl, they could get lots more support and money. Rumors are that they (Pdv, Matfield and, LOL, Kurt Darren) will be pushing to play from Cape Town stadium.

I just can't decide whether a strong Boland is good or bad for WP. Certainly it can only be a good thing for Stormers rugby.

hope stormers can win the super 15 this year. the saders ,the bulls and the stormers will be the big 3 this year and maybe the blues or the chiefs could sneak in a challange in aswell ! DAMN DUTCHMEN !!!!!!!!!!! :p

We won't get many better chances with this being a RWC year and lots of the 'bigger' teams likely to rest internationals. Sure we have a couple as well but its mainly our 3 centers which can be rotated to accommodate rest requirements withuot losing anything.

Possibly the Blues but I doubt the Chiefs have what it takes. I would like to through the Sharks and Waratahs' names into that hat as well.

Great to see so many people give the Stormers a shot at the ***le. It will be very difficult, though. Some things the Stormers will have to do to push for the ***le:

- Home advantage for the play-offs. Anything less in this competition just won't be good enough as we would need home advantage.

- Hold out for a win in those close games that we lost last year by only 1, 2 or 3 points.

- Score 4 tries when it is on. Last year we won too many games comfortably but with only 3 tries which over a long season translates to 1 or 2 extra games won in bonus points. Guess that was due to our focus on defense. A difficult balance.

- Match our competition in intensity in the derbies. We lost to the Sharks and to the Bulls in the final because we were out-muscled early on and struggled to get into the game because we didn't pitch mentally. Facing both these teams twice and an angry Cheetahs and Lions side at home will be tough for the same reason. Hell, the Cheetahs beat us at home in the CC and the Lions pushed us hard. Derbies count for 1/2 the games now! great news for teh Cheetahs, not so for especially the Stormers.

Some close games we lost: Brumbies by 2, Force by 1, Reds by 3. Biggest loss was to the Sharks with 6. In fact, except for the final, these are the only games we lost last year. Guess another point is to beat the Australian teams we lost to, LOL.

Last edited:
Wonder if Nick Koster will get a more decent run this season; if over his serious injury
Ex winger made loosie, man has this guy has potential

Wonder if Nick Koster will get a more decent run this season; if over his serious injury
Ex winger made loosie, man has this guy has potential

Just looked him up, big man and I would imagine he has decent pace.
He played a few CC games this year, so I could see him getting a run for the Stormers.

Is Juries still with the Stormers. He was a pretty good sevens player with good pace as well.

Have people forgotten that The Sharks beat both super 14 finalists of 2010 to claim the Currie Cup ***le?

Have people forgotten that The Sharks beat both super 14 finalists of 2010 to claim the Currie Cup ***le?

Ignorance is bliss

@ Draggs

As far as I know Juries hasn't left the Stormers since he arrived, so he must still be there

Curse my inability to use Multi-Quote

Just looked him up, big man and I would imagine he has decent pace.
He played a few CC games this year, so I could see him getting a run for the Stormers.

Is Juries still with the Stormers. He was a pretty good sevens player with good pace as well.

Juries is still with us. Very underutalized player and I guess we will see Engelbrecht and Brache and even Tythan Adams before we see Juries, 7s legend that he is. For some reaso he is just unpopular. He should return to 7s IMO where he is respected and wanted. Or Boland could use him.

Koster was a loosie before he mowd to wing in the first place. Decent pace. He moved to wing as he really wanted to play at 13 and the coaching staff said okay but play wing first and then we'll see. It kinda didn't come off and apparently he is happy to be playing 7(SA) or 8 again. Between him and Siya Kolisi we have decent young back-up.

Hopefully the players have. Remember that before you beat us in 2010, we had beaten you 4 times in a row (if I remember correctly - not gonna check it right now; time for drink). Counts for little and the tables turn quicky starting Feb 5th.

Of course not! They will win the SA conference, IMO.
Sharks v Crusaders final...

Latest posts