Votes: 28 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 20 41.7%

• Total voters
admit it you would too

you'd be surprised at the amount of people who willingly accept mediocrity

If this wasn't a rugby game id give it 1.5/10

Last edited:
If the game-play itself, the new ruck method, the faster play and the increased difficulty etc aren't going to be important to a reviewer and licensing is worth such a huge write-up then I don't pay as much attention to it really.

Licensing has been a big problem with a lot of other games (Pro Evo for example) and that didn't usually feature much in the review. When features over-rule the game-play experience, then I tend to start being a lot less impressed with the reviewer.

Come on. The new rucking is an improvement but is hardly revolutionary. And there is still a laundry list of other problems the game doesn't fix, bunching etc.

And, while he does perhaps spend a bit too long on licensing, he does mention that he would have liked the game if it had good gameplay. Sadly, it didn't.

To be honest I am completely unaffected by this review it's just what I've been listening to for 6 months now but by a professional game nerd

Come on. The new rucking is an improvement but is hardly revolutionary. And there is still a laundry list of other problems the game doesn't fix, bunching etc.

And, while he does perhaps spend a bit too long on licensing, he does mention that he would have liked the game if it had good gameplay. Sadly, it didn't.

Come on? :huh:

Your telling me that I should have to share your opinion? Everyone knows there've been fanboys all over this rugby thing since two games were announced. I honestly believe the IGN writer came off as one of them in some ways.

If it'd got the same score but better reasoning and general reviewing were used, I would've been more agreeable about the review.

I think a big part of the problem with the licenses is that this game is also passing itself off under the ***le of the 'Official Rugby World Cup' game for 2011. That sort of limited scope demands that it be a fully licensed product. Can you imagine the outcry if Fifa World Cup South Africa had only half of the teams in that game licensed and the unlicensed teams included England, Germany, Spain and the hosts South Africa - even with its great gameplay what do you think would be the reaction?

So again lets not fool ourselves into thinking we're not all just a bunch of fanboys, some in the RC camp some in the RWC camp and some in both, nobody on these forums is entirely neutral nor should they be, we are rugby mad, but a large chunk of people reviewing the rugby games will be neutral and the sort of review we've seen on IGN will most likely be the norm.

I think you're wrong about this. The author went out of his way to make the point that PES was a quality game without licenses. It's just that the game itself (in the authors opinion) didn't do enough to overcome these shortcomings.

Fair point. I still believe the whingeing about the licenses should be taken with a grain of salt OR at the very least could have actually used one of the wasted paragraphs to provide those that don't know why there is full licensing.

This was a better review. Which is more saddening.

Both are still on pre-order, but RC looking more worthy for a first up buy and RWC a 2nd hand purchase.

Rugby World Cup 1995 was released on the Sega Mega drive over 15 years ago. It had no licensed teams, but had 30+ countries in the game, including teams that weren't in the world cup, and had several different game modes. This included a create-a-cup, create-a-league, World cup with official or randomised pools, European League (5 nations at the time), Southern League (Tri-nations) and several more. It was a fun game to play, and because of it's modes, it had a hell of a lot of longevity.

The fact that 16 years later the Rugby World Cup game actually has less modes than a mega drive game speaks volumes. There was no reason whatsoever they could not have a) added in more countries, even without licensing, and b) add more (even unlicensed!) tournaments.

Now that is a much better written review, addresses a couple of key faults with the game - no training mode/tutorials, which does seem a bit daft to leave out

meh i wouldv rated it a 2/10, cmon admit it you would too

No. I wouldn't.
you'd be surprised at the moment of people who willingly accept mediocrity

If this wasn't a rugby game id give it 1.5/10

Right let me get you straight there... if Rugby World Cup 2011 wasn't a rugby game, you'd give it 1.5/10? How on earth does that exactly work, considering the key word in the ***le is ''rugby'' :huh: can't see where you're going with that analogy

Come on? :huh:

Your telling me that I should have to share your opinion? Everyone knows there've been fanboys all over this rugby thing since two games were announced. I honestly believe the IGN writer came off as one of them in some ways.

If it'd got the same score but better reasoning and general reviewing were used, I would've been more agreeable about the review.

I personally saw it more as frustration in the lack of improvement over '08 rather than fanboyism. He does say in the opening paragraphs that it was a re-run of Rugby 08 in many ways, which I think is the crux of his argument. He doesn't mention gameplay as much because he finds it very similar to '08, which a lot of people would a) have played or b) would know from the review that it was a last-gen game and be disappointed at the lack of improvement. I'll be honest, a lot of my excitement for RC is borne out of my disappointment in RWC, and although I can't really say RC is a better game without having played it the people that have have been quite positive.

Can you really say that RWC has overhauled the gameplay in numerous areas, aside from the rucks? Now, whether you liked '08 (and I did quite like it personally) and like the gameplay, that's another issue entirely, but I can't really see how anyone could disagree with that point. I did somewhat enjoy the RWC demo, and obviously the AI was on easy, but it felt very familiar to me.

can't see where you're going with that analogy

What i ment was If you're not a rugby fan this game has to compete with FIFA madden etc so in that respect it's a complete failure.

If you're a rugby player/supporter your glad to be able to play a rugby sim and thus are more likely to forgive it's short-comings.

Last edited:
There's really nothing to forgive though is there? HB Studios aren't coming in through our windows to take our money. People are on this forum and can plainly see that some people don't like the way Rugby World Cup is looking and all the criticisms. In that case, why buy it anyway? People can see Rugby Challenge on the horizon, if that's the one you want and the only one for you, then wait a month or so and buy it.

There's information out there, there's a choice. It's not like it was before the internet came into prevalence. People used to buy games that were crap and there were never patches or the like for console games and many games couldn't be edited, (Rugby World Cup 1995, Jonah Lomu Rugby).

I wish people could spend more of their time enjoying things they like, instead of wasting away the time on earth they have, hating on things they don't.

There's a feeling on these forums now that people should all feel one way about Rugby World Cup 2011, or their stupid. What is it called when some people try and tell others that they should think, feel and act the way they do? :)

When will people understand it hasn't been in production for 4 years?

For some, never. There's a mad hate on for RWC2011 right now.

I wouldn't say hate. Not me personally.

Besides it is the internet. e-Haters are everywhere.

That said, I would be in the list of people for RWC 2011 that would disappointed.

And that's on the back of the Demo, not so much the reviews. And yes, we all know it's a Demo and whatever it brings along with it.

But it also brought an expectation, a lowered expectation.

Second review is more level headed.

I agree lack of tutorial on a complex sport will exclude some.

But jesus H when will people realise its not like HB said, oh you know what would be great? Lets not get all the licenses we want! Brilliant!

Sidhe and HB tripped each other up by both getting a few important ones (HB - 6 nations + SA, Sidhe - all clubs, NZ & Oz) meaning neither can deliver a full product.

Its the consumer that loses out on both fronts. I'm sure HB had to have a go/no-go decision after the license conflicts arose, instead of binning it they've delivered the best they could with what they had secured. I commend that effort.

Sidhe have done the same, though been more creative on adding bits in for longevity with career mode etc. I commend them for that, though they probably had more cash with which to do so.

Constructive criticism of the product HB delivered is fair, criticising them for things completely outside their control (licensing secured by others, lower budget than rugby 08 as EA bogged off) is not.

To be honest I could give a Rat's A$$ about the review.

I live in a back water of rugby, (although it is God's Country) so I will be buying the game off PSN when it is availible in NA. As far as I can tell none of those complaining about the RWC, have actually played RC (at least those on this form).

I am interested in a an unbaised comparision of the two, specifically game play.....

Its the first major rugby simulation in 4 years and HB should be commended for bringing us they're take on rugby union.

Aside from this i couldn't recommend it to anyone based on graphics,content... etc it could be vastly Superior to RC but all that would mean is two mediocre rugby games this year instead of one.

There's really nothing to forgive though is there? HB Studios aren't coming in through our windows to take our money. People are on this forum and can plainly see that some people don't like the way Rugby World Cup is looking and all the criticisms. In that case, why buy it anyway? People can see Rugby Challenge on the horizon, if that's the one you want and the only one for you, then wait a month or so and buy it.

There's information out there, there's a choice. It's not like it was before the internet came into prevalence. People used to buy games that were crap and there were never patches or the like for console games and many games couldn't be edited, (Rugby World Cup 1995, Jonah Lomu Rugby).

I wish people could spend more of their time enjoying things they like, instead of wasting away the time on earth they have, hating on things they don't.

There's a feeling on these forums now that people should all feel one way about Rugby World Cup 2011, or their stupid. What is it called when some people try and tell others that they should think, feel and act the way they do? :)

Yes. And you could also argue that there's a feeling that we should ignore all of its problems and treat it as if "oh, at least it's a new Rugby game that's finally coming out".

I personally am not "hating" on RWC 2011 for the sake of it, nor because some people like it, nor because I'm a RC fanboy or anything. I've played Rugby '08 since a few weeks after it was released, and whilst not a perfect game, it was still a lot of fun. I was looking forward to Rugby 2012, I signed up for this forums primarily for that reason. The problem is, the demo I played just wasn't that great and didn't really show a massive advancement from Rugby '08, which is four years old and was on last-gen consoles. If it had been good, I would have bought it.

You say there's information out there on the internet, which is true, yet you also say people shouldn't leave criticism as well? Discussion forums are great in that you can really get a grasp of what a game is like from people who have followed it intensively and then have actually played it a lot. So, if people are disappointed, they should leave a comment that they are so. Ignoring negative aspects of the game is not going to change the game itself, nor is it going to help HB make a better game in the future. I agree, a lot of people are hating on the game obsessively and that isn't good, but what I would say is that it is, by and large, stemmed from disappointment with this game rather than fanboyism, or an irrational love for RC.

Is it a better game than '08? Yes. Did I hate the demo? No. Will it be fun online? Probably, yes. My opinions are pretty close to the Thunderbolt review. Will RC be a better game? It looks a promising ***le, but I can't say until I've played it.

Second review is more level headed.

I agree lack of tutorial on a complex sport will exclude some.

But jesus H when will people realise its not like HB said, oh you know what would be great? Lets not get all the licenses we want! Brilliant!

Sidhe and HB tripped each other up by both getting a few important ones (HB - 6 nations + SA, Sidhe - all clubs, NZ & Oz) meaning neither can deliver a full product.

Its the consumer that loses out on both fronts. I'm sure HB had to have a go/no-go decision after the license conflicts arose, instead of binning it they've delivered the best they could with what they had secured. I commend that effort.

Sidhe have done the same, though been more creative on adding bits in for longevity with career mode etc. I commend them for that, though they probably had more cash with which to do so.

Constructive criticism of the product HB delivered is fair, criticising them for things completely outside their control (licensing secured by others, lower budget than rugby 08 as EA bogged off) is not.

Well said.

Agree 100% with this, feels like people are just going overboard with the hating. Gotten to the point where people are quite literally just making bad things up about the game. It's worse on the Sidhe forums though. Had people jumping down my throat because I dared point out RWC2011 is not actually as bad as people keep going on and on about, and dared mention that Rugby Challenge is bound to have flaws and won't be perfect <_< daft really.

Latest posts