Getofmeland's Review of Rugby World Cup 2011

Getofmeland

The Dorset Drinker
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
On Monday last week, I got invited up to London, to not only play Rugby World Cup 2011 but also meet someone who The Rugby Forum had been dealing with for over a year, Alastair Jarvis. This was a fantastic opportunity for myself and the forum to get hands on with the game as well as have a chat with Alastair, the only problem was that I was in Cornwall on Holiday, so a logistical nightmare, meaning I would have to wait till I could post any useful information up, and you will be pleased to know that this is the post. (Finally!!!)
On my arrival to this boardroom, I was met by Alastair and the team from Things with Wings and 505 Games. The boardroom was laid out with a 50+ inch Screen and an Xbox 360 with 2 Controllers, the screen was illuminated with the front screen of Rugby World Cup 2011, in a crisp blue colour, my initial reaction in my head was “WOW I WANT TO PLAY NOW!†but got engrossed into a great conversation with Alastair, who praised the forum for their feedback and the staff for helping out with everything they have done so far. We talked a little bit about stats and how the site was progressing in detail until the time came to start talking about what we all want to hear about, the game!

The Gameplay
Well time to just get on and talk about the gameplay, recently I have been playing a lot of Rugby 08, trying to get back up to speed, however playing on the PC, one thing that popped to mind when playing it was how slow the gameplay was, immediately I noticed that the game play was at more of a match speed this is something that made it automatically more exciting straight away, and allowed you to pick up the controls very quickly, it felt a very natural game to play. The set plays and the defensive lines were automatically very realistic, with more natural movement of the players and the ball.

The Control System

Straight away a quick look at the control system before the game started, it became very easy to judge which controls to use, how to do different moves, the first major change that Alastair spoke to me about was the ruck, and the ruck intensity, this feature is superb, basically when a ruck is formed both teams have to tap to increase the intensity that they want to use in the ruck, however it’s about getting the intensity right as too much could cause an infringement at the ruck resulting in either a penalty or advantage to be played, this makes winning rucks easier but also creates a bit of a contest which allows the speed of the game not to be compromised. Also in terms of isolation there is now the feature that if a player is tackled and isolated a ruck is not always formed, and the ball can be picked up to let play carry on, this is something which is going to take some time to get mastered, you need to be fast to do it. There is now the option to Chip Kick, I have seen this mentioned elsewhere, but this is a welcomed feature, that I believe was mentioned on The Rugby Forum and taken forward.

Licencing
I don’t think I need to talk too much about this as we all know that this game is international teams now, we know that the following Unions have been announced as being fully licenced in the game: England, South Africa and France. We also know that there are more and more announcements due over the next couple of weeks, which will give us a clearer picture of where things stand. In terms of the player editor, this is going to be a name, position and attribute editor, there is no create your own player, and there is no create your own team. The editor will be good as you will be able to modify the position of a player and their attributes if you don’t feel they are as good as what’s been rated or they are better than what they have been rated.

Features

The Feature List is not as full as people would like but HB Studios have done the best they can with the licences they have got, the games features:

Rugby World Cup 2011: This is what it says on the tin, from the pool stages to the knock out stages of the tournament, with either the official pools or randomised pools.

International Match: This is a simple single game format.

The Warm Up Tour: This mode allows you to take any team and tour any part of the world you choose. It is a great addition to the game to give it an additional factor for longitivity. However to unlock some of the
bigger nations you have to tour with a Tier 2 nation.

Place Kick Shoot Out: This mode is going to be party mode, I can see myself playing this to death with a bunch of mates round and a few beers, the idea behind it is a quick and easy game which you can pick up and play with a group of mates. This will no doubt involve some great drinking games around this.

Online Gameplay: One of the biggest factors around this game is the online gameplay, we know it is going to be supported by both Xbox Live and Playstation Network, the true power of this game will be released, OK its not going to be club based but rugby comes into its own at International level, we at The Rugby Forum are already having a think how we will be able to create some fantastic games around this to keep the community involved, but more on this at a later date.

Roundup

All in all this game is superb, HB Studios have done well, the AI difficulty has been modified to make it harder, especially with the Hard mode now being Hard, that should trick Gay Guy and co. But right down to have the try Celebrations in game and no more cut scenes make a big difference, I found when I picked this game up it was like I had been playing it for years, there was a certain form of familiarity to it, but also on that basis I was only doing the basics, there are so many elements of gameplay to play with, which makes it a beast to try and master, which is all part of the fun. The graphics have been talked on the forum about a lot but it really does look good, better than the screenshots give it justice, you are never going to be able to tell how good the graphics are until you play a game or at least see a video of it. All in all HB Studios have created a great game and 505 Games are lucky to have the rights to publish it. All I want to say now is if you have any questions please ask and HB Studios/505 Games I think I need to play it again, I can’t wait until August to play it, I have tasted it and want more more and more.

First! (Just kidding guys). ;)

Okay, 30-40% relief here guys from Australia and New Zealand. Why? For one reason. Position editor. That helps a fair bit. You can obviously move someone to a different position if they look like someone you might want to change the name of, etc. So that should throw some variety into the potential faces for you to add names to.

My only queries now are:

How big are the squads (so it give us the idea that there is some variety to choose from). 30, 40, 50 people?

Secondly, is height, weight adjustable? Postion editing would be a little less useful if a halfback frame is put into the front row.

It now appears that appearances can not be changed at all (real shame), but fingers crossed for variety.

Onto the gameplay. The ruck idea sounds great to me. It sounds like it's not a button bash off. It's sounds like a balancing act, which is much better! It seems you need speed, but if you use too much you'll overdo it and you'll conceed a penalty or advantage! Fantastic!!!!

Sounds good :D

Especially like that rucks don't always have to be formed - was annoying when you'd make a break, get caught, then have to wait for an age for the scrumhalf to waltz over from the opposite end of the pitch, giving time for the defence to sort itself out :p

Can't wait!

One question, though: Are the scrums like they were in 08, or are they more like the rucking system in RWC11?

One question, though: Are the scrums like they were in 08, or are they more like the rucking system in RWC11?

Great question Ol's! I think scrums having that would be pretty cool. The quick push for the ball, but overdo it and you collapse your side. I'm sensing a no coming, but that sounds a good thing for scrums!

Thanks for the write-up, Getofmeland. Sad to see that there isn't a player creator and that we can't edit a players appearance.

Question: are there mauls during running gameplay?

Last edited:
Brilliant Getofmeland!

Sounds great! Can't wait to have a go myself in 2 months :( I'm sure the wait will be worth it though by the sounds of it. I am very impressed that Alistair specifically took the time to describe the rucks, which clearly shows that they listened to the emphasis placed on this area on the forum. I love how in these early stages that we are starting to hear previews of the RWC game, eventhough many are slating the graphics, and on RC we know literally nothing about the gameplay other than a few features, but everyone loves the graphics. As many will have read in my article, I am a gameplay purist, so I am over the moon that it is slowly creeping out that HB studios seemed to have really followed what we said.

Great news!

Y'know I'm pretty damn excited about the aspect of forward play being brought in and the speed of the game. It sounds like you have to think fast, and have good quick instincts on how many people to commit to a ruck and what your next move will be, because it sounds like the phases of play will be flowing fairly quickly. Great!

As for being able to get your hands on tackled ball if your there first or the tackler I suppose, that's just awesome! This is why I've been making such a fuss about the editing of Aus/NZ, it's because I know I'm going to love this game!

Well done HB for caring about getting the forwards back into the game in a real way and speeding up the play too. Can't wait!

Straight away a quick look at the control system before the game started, it became very easy to judge which controls to use, how to do different moves, the first major change that Alastair spoke to me about was the ruck, and the ruck intensity, this feature is superb, basically when a ruck is formed both teams have to tap to increase the intensity that they want to use in the ruck, however it's about getting the intensity right as too much could cause an infringement at the ruck resulting in either a penalty or advantage to be played, this makes winning rucks easier but also creates a bit of a contest which allows the speed of the game not to be compromised.

Could the padlocks on the image below possibly be something to do with the intensity of the rucks?

257997_164887476910171_143146185750967_411689_809984_o.jpg

Very grateful for the review Getofmeland! I can't wait to play it.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. I thought I was using the edit box lol.

Last edited:
So say if two players are playing the game with one person on attack they get tackled and form a ruck but do not tap whatever the context button to increase intensity will they always get turned over against someone who is increasing intensity or is it a bit more random then that?

Maybe the padlocks simply represent that the ruck has been won. The tick represents won, cross lost. I assume the bars may represent the relative intensity that is being placed by both players.

Sounds pretty awesome. Hopefully this rucking mechanism is what we've been crying out for. Sounds very clever, yet simple enough for your average gamer to pick up.
I really like the idea of the realistic defensive lines too. It was pretty unrealistic in 08 to have one man haring ahead in defence with the rest of the defensive line way behind.

Really excited for this game now!! Two months away from today!!
Also thanks to Getofmeland for taking the time out from his holidays! :D

Maybe the padlocks simply represent that the ruck has been won. The tick represents won, cross lost. I assume the bars may represent the relative intensity that is being placed by both players.

This seems the most likely scenario right now, as the team that has the red X has clearly maxed out the bar, whilst the other team has conservatively kept it in the yellow and not gone too close to the red area. Perhaps the winning team here (South Africa) has also had a man or two more in the ruck, so hasn't needed to really push up the intensity?

Don't seem to sound negative, but the rucks descriptions, sound a bit to simple. Can you control the amount of players going into the ruck, the timeing, ect? Do both teams have the same chance at winning the ruck regardles of the amount of players in the ruck or who is in the ruck? For me, the ruck, scrum, and maul play will make the difference in this game, as I believe all other elements of gameplay have been achieved fairly well in Rugby 2006, 2008. On that note, Geto, did you get to see these elements of play scrums, and mauls, how did they play out? Hopefully I missed understood how the rucks worked. Are there on screen meters to measure your ruck intensity, and does it vary from player to player or is it the same every time? Are mauls only created at lineouts, and kick offs? Or is there set plays to set up mauls?
Sorry for so many questions? Just really hopeing for better forward play. How did the mauls and scrums play out??
Cheers, thanks for review

Don't seem to sound negative, but the rucks descriptions, sound a bit to simple. Can you control the amount of players going into the ruck, the timeing, ect? Do both teams have the same chance at winning the ruck regardles of the amount of players in the ruck or who is in the ruck? For me, the ruck, scrum, and maul play will make the difference in this game, as I believe all other elements of gameplay have been achieved fairly well in Rugby 2006, 2008. On that note, Geto, did you get to see these elements of play scrums, and mauls, how did they play out? Hopefully I missed understood how the rucks worked. Are there on screen meters to measure your ruck intensity, and does it vary from player to player or is it the same every time? Are mauls only created at lineouts, and kick offs? Or is there set plays to set up mauls?
Sorry for so many questions? Just really hopeing for better forward play. How did the mauls and scrums play out??
Cheers, thanks for review

You definitely have to choose to put men into a ruck, it won't automatically shove say 3 men each in or 5 or whatever. You'd have to add them.

I can't say for 100% sure but it looks like you commit as many as you feel you can whilst still keeping enough for defence and then you must try and use the intensity button to win it back. While your adding men though, you opponent could well be already going for the intensity button, so that could be a factor too.

Tell me, if I've missed the mark there or whereabouts I have getofmeland or AJ (if your about). :)

On another note I've asked questions of those who've reviewed Rugby Challenge and there doesn't appear to be any actual ruck play. You add men, but you can't take them out, so it's strategic. You add enough with the right attributes, you get the ball back. If you don't you might get turned over. You add too many and you leave holes in your defence. Pretty basic really.

Hope they're wrong, because this sounds much better. If I were HB I'd go patent it! :)

You definitely have to choose to put men into a ruck, it won't automatically shove say 3 men each in or 5 or whatever. You'd have to add them.

I can't say for 100% sure but it looks like you commit as many as you feel you can whilst still keeping enough for defence and then you must try and use the intensity button to win it back. While your adding men though, you opponent could well be already going for the intensity button, so that could be a factor too.

Tell me, if I've missed the mark there or whereabouts I have getofmeland or AJ (if your about). :)

On another note I've asked questions of those who've reviewed Rugby Challenge and there doesn't appear to be any actual ruck play. You add men, but you can't take them out, so it's strategic. You add enough with the right attributes, you get the ball back. If you don't you might get turned over. You add too many and you leave holes in your defence. Pretty basic really.

Hope they're wrong, because this sounds much better. If I were HB I'd go patent it! :)

Where does it say you can remove players from rucks in RWC2011 ?

Still want to know whether you ll always be turned over if you decided to not use the feature at all.

What about running the ball?

Braking tackles, sidesteps, hand-offs, off-loads?

Where does it say you can remove players from rucks in RWC2011 ?

Still want to know whether you ll always be turned over if you decided to not use the feature at all.

Good point, but I'm pretty sure it'll be there. Although I do know for sure that the competitors forward play is almost entirely strategic. Actually, I only used the word almost in that last sentence as some sort of caution, it really seems to be entirely strategy. Who knows, something that extremely basic may end up being peoples preference. :D

Latest posts