• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getofmeland's Review of Rugby World Cup 2011

I'd imagine that when you start tapping the button the players join the ruck, then push harder, then another will etc.
If you stop tapping I think they'd stop pushing, then leave one by one as the bar goes down

All speculation of course :)

Great info, thanks.

I'll be very impressed if over-committing every ruck results in gaps in the defence out wide :D

What about running the ball?

Braking tackles, sidesteps, hand-offs, off-loads?

I was thinking the same. Is it the same "options" as rugby 08 or is there a bit more there?? (different animations etc).
Rucks sound different =D should be fun

Nice little write up getofmeland, really got me frothing now =D good to hear u enjoyed it =D lucky bugger ;D

Keep up the good work =D

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

i would imagine it would be fairly straight forward - if the opposition only have 1 or 2 players at the ruck and you send in 3 or 4 your gonna win it. where as if the majority of there pack is in there your never winning it, so you just wouldnt contest it. in regards to intensity, maybe throwing all your players in to it crazily will result in them going off their feet? ..sounds basic but realistically thats how simple it can be.

Couple of quick points guys:

We prototyped a number of mechanics for the breakdown. We found that a lot of focus on the intricacies of the breakdown would devolve into a series of minigames which slowed the flow of the game and didn't support our goal of creating fast flowing rugby.

With this mechanic you do not add or remove players from the ruck. This is a deliberate choice that has come about through prototyping, testing and balancing.

It may seem a simple mechanic but there is an element of risk vs. reward to it. There is also an additional element of tactical decision making as you can change your ruck support strategy - add forwards with their strong rucking abilities to the breakdown which is a risk that they're late to arrive if you tend to spin the ball out wide, select the Nearest Man option which means that team mates will join the ball to secure possession even if they're a winger with lower rucking abilities, or you can leave it at the default balanced option.

Scrums and lineouts have mechanics that are largely similar to our previous games. Although we have addressed the "twich" - it no longer happens. Again, we've prioritized the work based on feedback from you guys. New mechanic for restarts were not top of the list. If this new ruck mechanic proves to be successful, there are ideas on how to evolve it and build from it in other areas of gameplay - like scrums. Ultimately though, a mechanic that looks good on paper, doesn't always translate to a mechanic that is fun in practice and will take time to prototype and playtest. We're pleased that what we've got in game a.) preserves the flow of the game b.) makes the breakdown contestable c.) is accessible and fun.

One thing that I'd like to clarify is that bringing familiar feel to the gameplay has been a deliberate choice on our part - bringing the heritage of our rugby gameplay to this generation of consoles, and on a new rendering and animation engine, however, has not been straightforward and was a significant challenge for the team. The feedback from people who have played the game to date has been that it does feel familiar, but that the additional options, difficulty levels and mechanics have meant that there are new challenges in store for fans of our previous games - which means we've realized our principal design goal for this game.

Last edited:
Love the option of changing who joins a ruck!
That's one thing that got to me with the previous games - if you got tackled and a winger was next to you, he'd just stand there and you'd get turned over - Good to know you can get everyone involved :)

It may seem a simple mechanic there is an element of risk vs. reward to it. There is also an additional element of tactical decision making as you can change your ruck support strategy - add forwards with their strong rucking abilities to the breakdown which is a risk that they're late to arrive if you tend to spin the ball out wide, select the Nearest Man option which means that team mates will join the ball to secure possession even if they're a winger with lower rucking abilities, or you can leave it a the default balanced option.

Sounds awesome, good addition.

So scrums are not going to be a proper contest still, AJ? In 08 the team feeding the ball was the only team able to gain any paltry yards - is that the same this time round?

Love the option of changing who joins a ruck!
That's one thing that got to me with the previous games - if you got tackled and a winger was next to you, he'd just stand there and you'd get turned over - Good to know you can get everyone involved :)

Not only can you select Nearest Man option to ensure he gets in quickly to secure possession, you may get an X button prompt (square on PS3) - much like you see for an offload - that will allow you to pick up quick ball before the ruck has formed. You'll have to be quick though.

Also, offloads are slightly different this year as in the past you may have noticed that your supporting player has to be running straight down the pitch to be a candidate to receive a pass out of the tackle. Now you have a much greater range of situations in which players can receive the ball. This leads to much more flowing passages of play.

is there just 1 passing technique or is there several for example spin pass, floating pass etc..?

Sounds really promising.
Is it possible to pick and go with a forward after the ruck as formed?

that sounds like a great idea for a rucking system, im sure that will prove successful. Are there any notable points about open play? stepping, grubbers, offloading, speed burst, different kinds of tackles, that sort of thing.

So scrums are not going to be a proper contest still, AJ? In 08 the team feeding the ball was the only team able to gain any paltry yards - is that the same this time round?

We've been prototyping new mechanics for the scrum since before 08, but have never been happy with the results of our investigation toward making this a contest, in the way I think you mean in your question.

Re-set after re-set of scrums is a characteristic of the contemporary game, as is timing the cadence of "Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage" but it's not something that we think lends itself to accessible and compelling moments of gameplay. Again, this is an area that can tend to devolve quickly into a series of minigames that take away from our goal of fast, flowing and fun gameplay. As a result a big revolution in scrummaging didn't make it high enough up the list of priorities this year. It may be an element that we look to in the future, though, especially if we get more positive feedback on this year's ruck mechanic.

Sounds really promising.
Is it possible to pick and go with a forward after the ruck as formed?

Yep. You can pick up from the back of the ruck with a forward or the scrum half. Also these runs no longer force you to run forward. Once your player has picked it up, you have full control and can run wherever you wish. Adds a lot to forward play around the ruck and means that on multiplayer and on harder difficulty levels, mastering the new Guard Control on defence (pressing LB on X360 or L1 on PS3 to have your defending player face up to the ball carrier) is going to be very important.

is there just 1 passing technique or is there several for example spin pass, floating pass etc..?

Types of passes are not selectable. The type of pass is determined by which player you are passing to and where they are in proximity to the ball carrier.

I have to say I was initially very shocked to hear that you don't appear to have any control over the quantity of players who join the ruck, but it certainly does sound good being able to choose between pulling forwards, the nearest players or just leaving it balanced. Along with being able to pick it up quickly in the right situations and also being able to do a pick and go with a forward or halfback it sounds like there are plenty of options there.

So how does the game decide on the number of forwards to commit to a ruck once you've chosen something like the "nearest player" method?

Also what happens if you choose one of those techniques for a ruck and decide that you've just selected incorrectly, is there a split second to change your tactic?

One more thing, is the team in possession something that can change if left too long or is possession decided at some point of a ruck situation?

Thanks for all the info so far, it's been pretty enlightening! :)

thanks for answering my question but i hope u can answer 1 more...if you have a really strong and powerful player like sonny bill williams, will he break tackle after tackle when he has the ball plus will his offload be like the 1 he does in real life??

keep the good work up HB:)

Yep. You can pick up from the back of the ruck with a forward or the scrum half. Also these runs no longer force you to run forward. Once your player has picked it up, you have full control and can run wherever you wish. Adds a lot to forward play around the ruck and means that on multiplayer and on harder difficulty levels, mastering the new Guard Control on defence (pressing LB on X360 or L1 on PS3 to have your defending player face up to the ball carrier) is going to be very important.

I really like the sound of the new pick up and go!

Also, if you pick up and go with a stronger player such as a prop for instance, in a similar scenario would they travel further with the ball, or break the defence more than what a Scrum Half would?

Latest posts