The Review Thread of RWC 2011

do you think the review score is fair ?

• yes

Votes: 28 58.3%
  • no

Votes: 20 41.7%

• Total voters
My thoughts

When I downloaded the demo, I was downloading it to prove to myself how crap the game was. I was pleasantly surprised as a matter of fact, so I decided to buy it
It's been four days now and I'm returning it so I can get credit for rugby challenge

Some good points
The commentary is actually very good, liked the fact you had a choice of commentators
Menus look slick, like the world in union in the background
Gameplay is ok, a great deal more boring than 08 though

Bad points
Rucking is nearly impossible when your a lower ranked team or playing on harder modes
Graphics, to be frank, are pretty horrendous (player models, size of ball etc)
Customization options are far and few between
Online mode- quitters are shocking, ive played about 6 people, and when I started winning by 10+ points (you've lost connection with your opponent, you will be returned to the menu)
Actual world cup is boring, didn't capture the moment when you won it
Lack of national anthems, seriously, you guys put so little into the game, how long would it have taken to put in little snippets of national anthems

My rating 4/10
Why did I pay money for this game?

Enjoying the game

Obviously wish there was more teams and modes but all in all think it's fun. Having some close games on hard...

Also looking forward to the real tournament....

Enjoying it for what it is.

Cheers guys

my review- looks like hb worked 3 months on this game...and the 3 months work was all on the rucking system. Thats the only difference from rugby 08. Should of called this game Rucking World Cup 2011..Then people would know what they're buying. HORRIBLE!

3/10

The Guardian makes a good point when it says that RWC 2011 is a remake of "EA Sports' lacklustre Rugby 08, a hasty remake of Rugby 06 rushed out to cash in on the 2007 tournament"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/28/rugby-world-cup-2011-xbox

Another good point,
Unfortunately, playing RWC2011 only forces one to question what the game's developers, HB Studios, have been doing in this intervening period, since it does not appear to have included much time working on this ***le.

Yeah i noticed the boil too. He actually has a fairly prominent surgery scar there......but it doesnt look like that :/ its just a vertical scar

i've been playing the game for a few days now and i am really enjoying it. I personally think it is a good solid game with room for improvements.

Some good points:
stadiums look great and very detailed
commentary is verry accurate in my opinion and the choices are great
menus look smart and well presented
gameplay is alot like 08 but is way more challenging for example when i used to play my brother on 08 we would normally have a scoreline about 56-42 but on this game we have not gone past the 30 point mark yet.(love using the chip kick also and is very affective and set pies are really easy to pull of)

bad points:
Lack of licenses;being a all black fan and not having the lickness in there was a little gutting and frustrating.
lack of creation modes such as create a player/tournament.
player models were not very good which was abit gutting as i thought they would be spot on as hb did not have that many players to create like previous rugby games.
national anthems.

overall 7/10

things i would like to see in a future rugby game by hb:

new animation's for the hand off etc.
cub teams
more accurate player models.
licenses for the allblacks/wallabies.
bigger squads.

thats all i can think of of the top of my head really and to the guys at hb, thank you for a another rugby ***le and i hope this game is a success and you can bring us another one but hopefully on a bigger budget :)

Another good point,
Unfortunately, playing RWC2011 only forces one to question what the game's developers, HB Studios, have been doing in this intervening period, since it does not appear to have included much time working on this ***le.

Just so you know they made 3 FIFA games, 2 NHL and 2 NBA games for EA along with some other random games. Not sure why people think Developers just sit around twiddling their thumbs and only release one IP

Just so you know they made 3 FIFA games, 2 NHL and 2 NBA games for EA along with some other random games. Not sure why people think Developers just sit around twiddling their thumbs and only release one IP

Read it again

I'm afraid as a general point I agree with the Guradian review above - there is not nearly enough innovation to warrent giving this game much credit. Its yet another re-hash of a previous game that was re-hashed from the game before...and so the pattern continues.

Here are some points/observations from the game - sorry some of these were in the glitches thread but I have added more and given a score:

Support runners are appalling in this game - they hang far too far back - if you pass the ball to them they get swallowed up by a bunch of defenders. You need to get support runners much closer to the man with ball.

AI kicking it way too accurate - hitting middle of 22 everytime from their own 22.

AI plays FAR too many set plays - in fact most of their moves are set plays. Repetitive.

AI passing once the line is broken almost non existant, even when their are support runners. They use a set move, when it gets to the final man he dashes for the line. Also the Ai rarely just pass it down the line normally - always a set move. Lazy programming.

Passing slow and unresponsive - Passing needs to be almost instantaneous so when you hit the button the ball is passed. Any delay makes it almost impossible to build up and meaningful passing moves.

Can't pass when you get locked into an animation - impossible to string good passes together on hard mode beyond the initial 'down the line'

I think the whole game needs to be slower to give the player the chance to actually string some moves together. Before you know it the AI has smashed into you. No time for tactics.

Graphics are sub par for a next generation game released in 2011

Limited licenses even with a game with only 20 teams - shocking really.

Limited replay value - I had completed everything on the same day I bought the game. After a couple weeks I play a few online games and thats it - online however is fun.

The ruck system remains simplistic and again involves button mashing. They should introduce the ability to add as many or as few men into the ruck as you like to add another strategic dimension.

Lineouts - as above simplistic.

All in all I am very disappointed - not to say its a bad game. Its fun for a small while, and if you had never played rugby 06 or 08 maybe for some time, but for seasoned veterans its more of the same. HB need to make some wholesale changes if they release another rugby game. It needs more depth, better/more varied animations, more tactical/responsive/intuative gameplay, more features, more licences, deeper editing features - just look at Rugby Challenge and learn! Shows you can make a decent, deep rugby game on a budget. So far HB are resting on their laurels, serving the same dish with each iteration. But its getting very stale, and we as rugby gamers are getting tired of it.Personally I couldn't stomach another game along the same lines.

Personally I give this game a 5/10

Last edited:
the guy talks about the complication of the controls but I find them quite easy to get, somewhat challenging to master. I think he might be a Sidhe fan club member

the guy talks about the complication of the controls but I find them quite easy to get, somewhat challenging to master. I think he might be a Sidhe fan club member

Nobody is talking about RC my friend, keep that to the comparison thread as the mods are quick to tell you.

I'm afraid as a general point I agree with the Guradian review above - there is not nearly enough innovation to warrent giving this game much credit. Its yet another re-hash of a previous game that was re-hashed from the game before...and so the pattern continues.

Here are some points/observations from the game - sorry some of these were in the glitches thread but I have added more and given a score:

Support runners are appalling in this game - they hang far too far back - if you pass the ball to them they get swallowed up by a bunch of defenders. You need to get support runners much closer to the man with ball.

AI kicking it way too accurate - hitting middle of 22 everytime from their own 22.

AI plays FAR too many set plays - in fact most of their moves are set plays. Repetitive.

AI passing once the line is broken almost non existant, even when their are support runners. They use a set move, when it gets to the final man he dashes for the line. Also the Ai rarely just pass it down the line normally - always a set move. Lazy programming.

Passing slow and unresponsive - Passing needs to be almost instantaneous so when you hit the button the ball is passed. Any delay makes it almost impossible to build up and meaningful passing moves.

Can't pass when you get locked into an animation - impossible to string good passes together on hard mode beyond the initial 'down the line'

I think the whole game needs to be slower to give the player the chance to actually string some moves together. Before you know it the AI has smashed into you. No time for tactics.

Graphics are sub par for a next generation game released in 2011

Limited licenses even with a game with only 20 teams - shocking really.

Limited replay value - I had completed everything on the same day I bought the game. After a couple weeks I play a few online games and thats it - online however is fun.

The ruck system remains simplistic and again involves button mashing. They should introduce the ability to add as many or as few men into the ruck as you like to add another strategic dimension.

Lineouts - as above simplistic.

All in all I am very disappointed - not to say its a bad game. Its fun for a small while, and if you had never played rugby 06 or 08 maybe for some time, but for seasoned veterans its more of the same. HB need to make some wholesale changes if they release another rugby game. It needs more depth, better/more varied animations, more tactical/responsive/intuative gameplay, more features, more licences, deeper editing features - just look at Rugby Challenge and learn! Shows you can make a decent, deep rugby game on a budget. So far HB are resting on their laurels, serving the same dish with each iteration. But its getting very stale, and we as rugby gamers are getting tired of it.Personally I couldn't stomach another game along the same lines.

Personally I give this game a 5/10

Great review mate, sounds bang on. The funny thing is, I doubt HB will bring out another game for another 3-4 years when we're all desperate for something & it'll just be more of the same.

Hopefully sidhe keep them honest.

wait for the next world cup...thats when we hear from HB next. HB practically spat in the face of all rugby supporters by making a **** game for one of the worlds best sport. Look at World Championship Rugby, that game had hardly any licenses but had a bang on playable gameplay. HB with the lack of licenses should of at least worked the butts off in the passing, rucking, maul, kicking and tackling!!! STILL HAVE THE SAME GAY TACKLING ANIMATIONS?? PASS DOWN THE LINE AND EVERYONE SEEMS TO BE RUNNING STRAIGHT?? HAVE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY HAD A RUGBY BALL IN YOUR HAND AND PLAYED THE GAME?? its like watching an under8's rugby game and one fast kid that stands out of the pack decides to run around the whole team.

we shouldn't get/be used to this level of gameplay in rugby games. rugby is a sophisticated game not a simple one. BTW no fanboi here..ive been buying every single rugby game out there since JLR 95.

HB need to scrap their whole system and start from scratch. Maybe starting with hiring a rugby player to help you with motion capture, rules and regulations and gameplay. Mike Tindall? or anyone from NH. I really want HB to succeed in making a good game..but the impression you give us from RWC11 is that you only care for our wallets.

Latest posts