• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The refereeing of the 2010 Tri Nations

Haha, good call.

On a slightly different note, the stress from Tri Nations posts is hurting me. I'm hanging around the NH side of the forum for a while. God those people are lovely.

Ye we are great! Less of the meat swinging but more salami swinging!

Haha, good call.

On a slightly different note, the stress from Tri Nations posts is hurting me. I'm hanging around the NH side of the forum for a while. God those people are lovely.

Not unanimously..

In your deluded mind sure. I will take Sean Fitzpatrick , Zinzan Brooke and others word overs yours thanks ! LOL

Er, matey, the results say otherwise.

We'll call the "modern" era the professional;era since 1996, OK

v AUS - 26 wins 12 losses - win ratio 68%
v SAF - 27 wins 12 losses - win ratio 69%
v FRA - 12 wins 4 losses - win ratio 70%
v ENG - 12 wins 2 losses - win ratio 80%

All other teams 100%

Australia is the team we have been least successful against, just, and therefore, our most difficult opponents.

Prior to readmission to world rugby in 92 SA has a very good record against the ABS actually. Its was about equal with SA shading the ABS fractually in wins/losses , its only after 92 that the ABS created a gap which the Boks tried to close last last a little but failed miserably this year. So yes 100 years of domination is kinda exaggerated

Yes, it is really. That's definitely not the case. His statement was a bit over the top in that regard. :)

In your deluded mind sure. I will take Sean Fitzpatrick , Zinzan Brooke and others word overs yours thanks ! LOL
I don't think the Boks have had an era (by that I mean about 3-5 seasons) as good as the Aussies did, one which did not feature Fitzpatrick or Zinzan in the opposition, they had it over some great AB's teams though. I guess people thought last year was the start of such an era for the Boks.

Ah, but we were the first team that the All Blacks did the Kapo O Pango against. That's got to count for something... I mean, they changed their friggin Haka for us!

Ah, but we were the first team that the All Blacks did the Kapo O Pango against. That's got to count for something... I mean, they changed their friggin Haka for us!
LOL...:lol::lol::lol:

Er, matey, the results say otherwise.

We'll call the "modern" era the professional;era since 1996, OK

v AUS - 26 wins 12 losses - win ratio 68%
v SAF - 27 wins 12 losses - win ratio 69%
v FRA - 12 wins 4 losses - win ratio 70%
v ENG - 12 wins 2 losses - win ratio 80%

All other teams 100%

Australia is the team we have been least successful against, just, and therefore, our most difficult opponents.

Erm 1 % ??? U gonna base that measly argument on 1 % difference ? LOL what was it prior to the Soccer city match ? Maybe Fitzpatrick did not know yet when he made those statements about SA being the ultimate challenge for the ABS that the Aussies are percentage wise (the full 1%) more tougher opponents than the Boks for the ABS. Dam silly man , imagine trying to have an opinion on actually playing the game instead of stats. Why dont u rather go over the penalty to yellow card stats instead ? LOL

Or maybe he was referring to just WC games where we have a 66% record against the ABS including a final. also NZ have a zero % record of WC finals wins when SA participated.........see how crap stats are ?

Last edited:
I don't think the Boks have had an era (by that I mean about 3-5 seasons) as good as the Aussies did, one which did not feature Fitzpatrick or Zinzan in the opposition, they had it over some great AB's teams though. I guess people thought last year was the start of such an era for the Boks.

I dont think the Aussie's had either

Dude the Australian team from 1999-2003 were phenomenal. Larkham, Gregan, Herbert, Horan, Eals, Burke, Tune... Sure sounds like an 'era' worthy team to me...

We blow hot and cold. Great one year, **** the next, then great again, then ****...

Dude the Australian team from 1999-2003 were phenomenal. Larkham, Gregan, Herbert, Horan, Eals, Burke, Tune... Sure sounds like an 'era' worthy team to me...

We blow hot and cold. Great one year, **** the next, then great again, then ****...
That was a killer Wallaby side. I think it was Rod McQueen coached too. Danny Herbert was an unsung hero back then I think Latham was part of that gang too.

Erm 1 % ??? U gonna base that measly argument on 1 % difference ? LOL what was it prior to the Soccer city match ? Maybe Fitzpatrick did not know yet when he made those statements about SA being the ultimate challenge for the ABS that the Aussies are percentage wise (the full 1%) more tougher opponents than the Boks for the ABS. Dam silly man , imagine trying to have an opinion on actually playing the game instead of stats. Why dont u rather go over the penalty to yellow card stats instead ? LOL

Or maybe he was referring to just WC games where we have a 66% record against the ABS including a final. also NZ have a zero % record of WC finals wins when SA participated.........see how crap stats are ?

Stats have their merits. The final score of a game is a stat.

I think over all history, there is slightly more cultural significance for both New Zealand and South Africa than there is for SAF/AUS, or even NZL/AUS which has plenty.

Still I have to say that before I came to TRF, I thought so highly of South Africa in rugby. The strong teams, the passionate fans, the awesome stadiums. I really honestly did. Upon coming onto the internet for about 7 years, I've learned a few things.

(These are generalisms and don't apply to all South African or Australian fans):

Australians don't actually seem to go on and on and on after a loss.

South Africans will generally rub in their wins far more. Last year (and up until the Tri-Nations) many people were copping the, "We've got the World Cup, the Super 14 AND the Tri-Nations. New Zealand has NOTHING!!!!!"

If I heard that once I heard that a dozen times, yet here we are and New Zealand has won the Tri-Nations. All of a sudden, there needs to be an enquiry into everything! Richie McCaw, Yellow Cards, Paddy O'Brien, small off-the-ball incidents, where refs are from and Mike Cronn working with the IRB.

Many South Africans are gracious, loss accepting (when they happen, as SAF is still a very strong team!) and mature fans. It's just a shame that those same fans aren't expressing their embarrassment at the others.

Seriously.

As for Jer1cho, I hope you don't construe the above post as about you. You seem to get the idea of things. One of the ones that makes me still admire South African rugby.

Between 99-03 they played 11 times and the Aussies won 6 of that , hardly dominating I would say. Great team though , I agree.

Date Winner Home Score Away Score
4-Jul-99 New Zealand New Zealand 34 Australia 15
28-Aug-99 Australia Australia 28 New Zealand 7
15-Jul-00 New Zealand Australia 35 New Zealand 39
5-Aug-00 Australia New Zealand 23 Australia 24
11-Aug-01 Australia New Zealand 15 Australia 23
1-Sep-01 Australia Australia 29 New Zealand 26
13-Jul-02 New Zealand New Zealand 12 Australia 6
3-Aug-02 Australia Australia 16 New Zealand 14
26-Jul-03 New Zealand Australia 21 New Zealand 50
16-Aug-03 New Zealand New Zealand 21 Australia 17
15-Nov-03 Australia New Zealand 10 Australia 22

Between 99-03 they played 11 times and the Aussies won 6 of that , hardly dominating I would say. Great team though , I agree.

No Springbok results???...

Stats have their merits. The final score of a game is a stat.

I think over all history, there is slightly more cultural significance for both New Zealand and South Africa than there is for SAF/AUS, or even NZL/AUS which has plenty.

Still I have to say that before I came to TRF, I thought so highly of South Africa in rugby. The strong teams, the passionate fans, the awesome stadiums. I really honestly did. Upon coming onto the internet for about 7 years, I've learned a few things.

(These are generalisms and don't apply to all South African or Australian fans):

Australians don't actually seem to go on and on and on after a loss.

South Africans will generally rub in their wins far more. Last year (and up until the Tri-Nations) many people were copping the, "We've got the World Cup, the Super 14 AND the Tri-Nations. New Zealand has NOTHING!!!!!"

If I heard that once I heard that a dozen times, yet here we are and New Zealand has won the Tri-Nations. All of a sudden, there needs to be an enquiry into everything! Richie McCaw, Yellow Cards, Paddy O'Brien, small off-the-ball incidents, where refs are from and Mike Cronn working with the IRB.

Many South Africans are gracious, loss accepting (when they happen, as SAF is still a very strong team!) and mature fans. It's just a shame that those same fans aren't expressing their embarrassment at the others.

Seriously.

Very true words here. I think our country's past has a lot to do with the fact that we have very short fuses, and react the way we do. It's sad really. But not much can be done about it. Almost all of the arguments started on any rugby site or video on youtube is some bloody South African saying something like 'We are the best ever and have won 2 world Cups' bla bla bla. It's really embarrassing.

Because i am South African though, my favorite games are always the ones between South Africa and New Zealand. It's the biggest for me, regardless of whatever statistics or history say is 'the greatest rivalry'. Who cares anyway? Really. All matches between International teams have a unique feel anyway.

Do you get off on statistics? The quality of a team is not just based on the match results, especially not just against the All Blacks.

Let's see... They won the 1999 World Cup, they won the follow-up 2000 Tri Nations beating the Springboks 18-19 away and 26-6 at home. They defeated the B&I Lions A year later they beat New Zealand twice to wrap up their second Tri nations-***le in 2 years.

In 2003 they, again, made it through to the World Cup final only to lose in extra time. How about that for statistics? I think that pretty much counts as dominating World Rugby with 2 Tri-Nations wins a beatdown over the B&I Lions and 2 finals in consecutive World Cups of which one was won and the other lost in extra time by a drop goal.

Very true words here. I think our country's past has a lot to do with the fact that we have very short fuses, and react the way we do. It's sad really. But not much can be done about it. Almost all of the arguments started on any rugby site or video on youtube is some bloody South African saying something like 'We are the best ever and have won 2 world Cups' bla bla bla. It's really embarrassing.

Because i am South African though, my favorite games are always the ones between South Africa and New Zealand. It's the biggest for me, regardless of whatever statistics or history say is 'the greatest rivalry'. Who cares anyway? Really. All matches between International teams have a unique feel anyway.

I think we're all lucky that in a game which isn't truly global yet, we have so many exciting rivalries. South Africa is definitely the team that has been historically the big test for us, it's just over the last 15 years that the playing field has really levelled up with France and Australia also becoming very powerful opponents.

Do you get off on statistics? The quality of a team is not just based on the match results, especially not just against the All Blacks.

Let's see... They won the 1999 World Cup, they won the follow-up 2000 Tri Nations beating the Springboks 18-19 away and 26-6 at home. They defeated the B&I Lions A year later they beat New Zealand twice to wrap up their second Tri nations-***le in 2 years.

In 2003 they, again, made it through to the World Cup final only to lose in extra time. How about that for statistics? I think that pretty much counts as dominating World Rugby with 2 Tri-Nations wins a beatdown over the B&I Lions and 2 finals in consecutive World Cups of which one was won and the other lost in extra time by a drop goal.

Guy WTF are you on about ? I was responding to post by Woodward that said the below. He was implying that the Aussies were dominant over the ABs or rather they had a few good years in a 3-4 years period and its something the Boks never achieved , I replied that in that period the Aussies won 6 out of 5 games against the ABS. Not brain surgery but one can hardly call that a few good years over the ABS now can we ? This is reference to Aussies Vs Abs and that only. Please take some time and read through the post and replies before having a hernia.

I disagree slightly and think its becos we are so passionate. I posted on another forum a few days ago why the WP guys hate the Bulls or at least why it seems so. Its the same with the ABS , we just love beating our main rivals. Ask most South Africans who they would prefer to face ina final if given the chance and they will say rather the ABS than the Poms or Aussies. I think the majority of the ABS feel similar. Also if SA should be knocked out of the WC (heaven forbid) who do you think we will support ? So you see we dont hate the ABS , we love the ABS , we just hate losing against you !! So jaa we come acroos as aggro and arrogant evens sometimes . whining left right and center but its becos we really really hate losing against you guys.

Latest posts