• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Official Sonny Bill Williams Thread

You would unfortunately really expect SBW to win.

Not really. Sonny Bill Williams is a pretty average boxer, with two out of three of his opponents being very, very average, and the only one which is mildy athletic, went to a decision. Jonah Lomu wouldn't concede anything in terms of height, weight or strength. The only questions would be over his fitness and technique. My money would be on Lomu knocking SBW out, and I'm not saying that as an anti-SBW statement, I just think SBW would not be able to take too many hits from a monster like Jonah Lomu.

Not really. Sonny Bill Williams is a pretty average boxer, with two out of three of his opponents being very, very average, and the only one which is mildy athletic, went to a decision. Jonah Lomu wouldn't concede anything in terms of height, weight or strength. The only questions would be over his fitness and technique. My money would be on Lomu knocking SBW out, and I'm not saying that as an anti-SBW statement, I just think SBW would not be able to take too many hits from a monster like Jonah Lomu.

But has Lomu had any ring experience? Thats what you got to think here, Lomu can be big but ring fitness is something to think about. Lomu is a big boy and I don't think people give SBW give enough credit for his boxing. He's not a world beater but he's not a mug. He knows how to handle himself in there.

But has Lomu had any ring experience? Thats what you got to think here, Lomu can be big but ring fitness is something to think about. Lomu is a big boy and I don't think people give SBW give enough credit for his boxing. He's not a world beater but he's not a mug. He knows how to handle himself in there.

Well, as I said about Jonah Lomu, he has trained for quite a while in Muay Thai. I don't know if he has got muich ring experience, but I'm sure he'd train hard going into the fight, and he's got the money to get some good sparring partners. As for "He knows how to handle himself in there", he just doesn't impress me to the extent that I'd say he is anything promising. He's seems as good as a 6'4'' 106kg professional athlete who has been training for a while, is expected to be, but certainly no more. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of power in his punches, and he has a tendancy to back off or headlock too much. Just doesn't seem to have much offense.

Well, as I said about Jonah Lomu, he has trained for quite a while in Muay Thai. I don't know if he has got muich ring experience, but I'm sure he'd train hard going into the fight, and he's got the money to get some good sparring partners. As for "He knows how to handle himself in there", he just doesn't impress me to the extent that I'd say he is anything promising. He's seems as good as a 6'4'' 106kg professional athlete who has been training for a while, is expected to be, but certainly no more. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of power in his punches, and he has a tendancy to back off or headlock too much. Just doesn't seem to have much offense.

Lomu can train in Muay Thai but really its about getting in the ring. Its tough for people who never have been in one. I have done it and found it a struggle (granted im no pro athlete) and I believe that whatever people say Lomu would be at a disadvantage. People say SBW has no punches but has a good jab and can throw combo's the way he would fight would be much similar to that of Joe Calzaghe. Remember Calzaghe never really possessed a knockout punch but could throw multiple punches. Now im not comparing SBW to Calzaghe, far from it. SBW is no mug in the ring, his opponents have been whack but people are writing SBW off for a man who has never stepped into the ring.

I loved the idea of Lomu and SBW....

When I heard about Chabal vs lomu....I properly got hard.

Triple threat
SBW vs Lomu vs Chabal

Tables, Ladders and Chairs (oh my!)
Stone Cold Steve Austin as special guest referee

nick your thinking of Lomu in his prime, he is well past it as an athlete.

I wonder what the haters think of SBW's status as NZ's best 12?
quoted directly from another forum
Runs[/B

Treeby 71
SBW 68
Payne 57
Lynn 55
Sweeney 53
Fruean 47
Nonu 39
Smith 35
Kahui 26
Stanley 26
Umaga 21

Tackle busts

SBW 27
Fruean 24
Payne 22
Treeby 22
Lynn 19
Sweeney 18
Smith 14
Stanley 14
Nonu 11
Umaga 9
Kahui 4

Offload

SBW 32
Payne 8
Umaga 6
Stanley 5
Lynn 5
Kahui 5
Sweeney 4
Smith 4
Fruean 4
Treeby 4
Nonu 2

Tackle success

Umaga - 89% (32 from 36)
Payne - 88% (56 from 64)
Smith - 88% (55 from 63)
SBW - 88% (52 from 59)
Stanley - 86% (49 from 57)
Nonu - 86% (50 from 58)
Treeby - 85% (69 from 81)
Lynn - 81% (44 from 54)
Sweeney - 80% (48 from 60)
Kahui - 78% (25 from 32)
Fruean - 73% (41 from 56)

Linebreaks

Payne 11
Fruean 7
Lynn 5
SBW 4
Treeby 4
Umaga 2
Sweeney 2
Nonu 2
Smith 1
Stanley 1
Kahui - none

Errors

Frean 10
SBW 9
Smith 7
Nonu 6
Stanley 6
Lynn 6
Treeby 4
Payne 4
Kahui 3
Umaga 3
Sweeney 3

Tries

Payne 5
Fruean 4
SBW 3
Stanley 2
Lynn 1

The idea is to have him art the bottom of the Errors list woodward ..not the top

Really clutching at straws there, he's only a few errors above the ex incumbents and one behind the player everyone on this forum thought should have gone on EOYT ahead of him. Considering those offload numbers his error rate, although high by his standards, is remarkably low.

yep Payne is the real deal, I wonder if he would be eligible for England or Ireland at any stage? Would be good to see him not completely throw his career away. He could've waited a couple of years for an All Blacks place then commanded twice the salary in France. He might of even thrown away a RWC place, dumbest move from a player I've ever seen.

SBW has definitely taken the spot of the form no.12 in NZ... But it needs to be put into context, he's part of the most potent backline in Super Rugby and in the last two games (without Carter) he's hardly set the world on fire... Payne is definitely a quality player, and leaving NZ right now is pretty dumb in my opinion, as i'm sure he'd make the AB's in 2012. I'm still a big fan of Benson Stanley and i'd like to see him get a bit more gametime with McAlistar starting at 10

nick your thinking of Lomu in his prime, he is well past it as an athlete.

I wonder what the haters think of SBW's status as NZ's best 12?
quoted directly from another forum
Runs[/B

Treeby 71
SBW 68
Payne 57
Lynn 55
Sweeney 53
Fruean 47
Nonu 39
Smith 35
Kahui 26
Stanley 26
Umaga 21

Tackle busts

SBW 27
Fruean 24
Payne 22
Treeby 22
Lynn 19
Sweeney 18
Smith 14
Stanley 14
Nonu 11
Umaga 9
Kahui 4

Offload

SBW 32
Payne 8
Umaga 6
Stanley 5
Lynn 5
Kahui 5
Sweeney 4
Smith 4
Fruean 4
Treeby 4
Nonu 2

Tackle success

Umaga - 89% (32 from 36)
Payne - 88% (56 from 64)
Smith - 88% (55 from 63)
SBW - 88% (52 from 59)
Stanley - 86% (49 from 57)
Nonu - 86% (50 from 58)
Treeby - 85% (69 from 81)
Lynn - 81% (44 from 54)
Sweeney - 80% (48 from 60)
Kahui - 78% (25 from 32)
Fruean - 73% (41 from 56)

Linebreaks

Payne 11
Fruean 7
Lynn 5
SBW 4
Treeby 4
Umaga 2
Sweeney 2
Nonu 2
Smith 1
Stanley 1
Kahui - none

Errors

Frean 10
SBW 9
Smith 7
Nonu 6
Stanley 6
Lynn 6
Treeby 4
Payne 4
Kahui 3
Umaga 3
Sweeney 3

Tries

Payne 5
Fruean 4
SBW 3
Stanley 2
Lynn 1

No, I'm not. However he is still only 35, which is younger than a lot of current professional boxers (same age as Wladimir Klitschko and younger than Vitali Klitschko), and he will still be very strong. I'm not saying he'll be the next big thing in boxing, I just think he'd be more of a test against SBW than SBW's last three jokes of opponents, and from how SBW did, I wouldb't be suprised to see Lomu knock him out. Either way I'll be interested.

Only time Nonu appeared in the top 5 was in errors! rest my case for smith and sbw

You were saying Williams wouldn't give away anything in terms of strength to Williams which I highly doubt by the looks of Lomu these days.
SBW has definitely taken the spot of the form no.12 in NZ
he's the form 12 in the world, the best in NZ. We will need to wait until later this year to objectively put him in an imaginary world XV.
he's part of the most potent backline in Super Rugby
which without him has been ineffectual. I'm a Blues supporter but the big reason we won that first round game was the lack of a Crusaders attack.

No, I'm not. However he is still only 35, which is younger than a lot of current professional boxers (same age as Wladimir Klitschko and younger than Vitali Klitschko), and he will still be very strong. I'm not saying he'll be the next big thing in boxing, I just think he'd be more of a test against SBW than SBW's last three jokes of opponents, and from how SBW did, I wouldb't be suprised to see Lomu knock him out. Either way I'll be interested.

But the Klitschko's have been training for longer and are monsters and Lomu is not the same man he used to be. When we had him at the Blues he was not the same man after his illness had he been I highly doubt he would have been with the Blues and then gone to France he would have stuck round in NZ and worked his way through the ITM to a Super Rugby Franchise.

Latest posts