• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Star Wars has been a mixed bag for me for a while. A New Hope and Empire are great, but return was the beginning of the issues with the series. The prequels have good ideas, but the script was awful and needed a lot of work.

I'll quite happily forget the sequels as they just did nothing. TFA was a remake with the "make the risks bigger", TLJ was fine in places, but was not a good second act to a trilogy and Rise was like kids playing with action figures.

Kotor 1 and 2 however are incredible. Easily the best way to get into the world.

I actually really enjoyed ROTJ. Probably because I loved the final battle between Luke and DV. And was young enough to appreciate the Ewoks. Only really appreciated TESB when I was older because I didn't appreciate how dark it was. I was still very much goodies > baddies.

Probably the only one of the prequels I liked was ROTS - with the final battle the highlight. And then Rogue One. The rest were just meh for me. Can't recall watching Solo - any good?

I actually really enjoyed ROTJ. Probably because I loved the final battle between Luke and DV. And was young enough to appreciate the Ewoks. Only really appreciated TESB when I was older because I didn't appreciate how dark it was. I was still very much goodies > baddies.

Probably the only one of the prequels I liked was ROTS - with the final battle the highlight. And then Rogue One. The rest were just meh for me. Can't recall watching Solo - any good?
ROTS kinda works on its own, yeah. Still iffy in places like obi watching someone burning to (what he thinks). death, but yeah 😅

Rogue One was fun, Solo was just unnecessary to me. It's not awful, but passable.

I don't like Star Wars (don't like films and some series), but I must admit I enjoyed the Book of Boba Fett a lot, and two seasons of Mandalorian (the 3rd one was worse). Oh,and...Grogu, of course 😍
200w.gif

Yeah I get lots of people made a lot of money slating it on YouTube but I don't hate it, just found it an incredibly poor film like the rest of the sequel trilogy.
im sure we've all had this chat before...possibly a few times...i enjoyed watching TLJ and even RoS in the theatre....but then when i sat back to think about them think theyre both pretty poor for different reasons...abjectly the two worst of all 9 for me....not saying they both dont have fun of visually impressive scenes...but not good IMO as a whole film....let alone when put next too each other

ultimately they just need to STOP jamming more and more content into the same time period....leave it alone, take the rules of the universe theyve created and start somethign new 100's/1000's of years before or after

im sure we've all had this chat before...possibly a few times...i enjoyed watching TLJ and even RoS in the theatre....but then when i sat back to think about them think theyre both pretty poor for different reasons...abjectly the two worst of all 9 for me....not saying they both dont have fun of visually impressive scenes...but not good IMO as a whole film....let alone when put next too each other

ultimately they just need to STOP jamming more and more content into the same time period....leave it alone, take the rules of the universe theyve created and start somethign new 100's/1000's of years before or after
This is exactly what Knights of the old Republic (Kotor) is and was great. It tells the story of a jedi who (rightfully imo) disobeyed the order to help fight a war that was raging. The game basically deals with the aftermath of it all. Kotor 2 tells another story and goes into more detail on the force itself.

KOTOR is a great story but will need a heavy amount of editing to work in a film or TV show.

Plus the great reveal requires the internet to be quiet for longer than 5 mins.

KOTOR is a great story but will need a heavy amount of editing to work in a film or TV show.

Plus the great reveal requires the internet to be quiet for longer than 5 mins.
you think it would require that much? by the games very nature you follow the core group as they collect or loose companions, maybe loose one or two that were mainly there too allow players to play as dark or light, male or female etc

as for the twist, i think we overestimate how well known KotOR is outside of a specific group, im a star wars nerd...not the biggest im sure but i am one...also a gamer (casual)....but i had PS2 when it was originally released and then moved too Nintendo...and so first play through was a couple of years ago when it dropped on switch...and i only had an inkling of the twist

i also think very few films genuinely manage to surprise people with a twist because audiences go in looking for twists

finally so many movie are based off books that people could google if they really wanted too....so i dont think the fact the twists is out there is reason not to do it

i dont think KotOR 2 works as well though...mainly because the last quarter is a mess and barely/doesnt make sense (i had to read a walkthough to work out what had happened)....but you could take the seed and reshape it...there is a lot more mystical stuff though so....

edit: the more i think about it, it even has a pretty natural 3 movie arc with the twist at the end of the second film (homage to ESB)...add too that some bouncing around the galaxy so plenty of opportunity for variety of spectacular cinematography

Last edited:
you think it would require that much? by the games very nature you follow the core group as they collect or loose companions, maybe loose one or two that were mainly there too allow players to play as dark or light, male or female etc

as for the twist, i think we overestimate how well known KotOR is outside of a specific group, im a star wars nerd...not the biggest im sure but i am one...also a gamer (casual)....but i had PS2 when it was originally released and then moved too Nintendo...and so first play through was a couple of years ago when it dropped on switch...and i only had an inkling of the twist

i also think very few films genuinely manage to surprise people with a twist because audiences go in looking for twists

finally so many movie are based off books that people could google if they really wanted too....so i dont think the fact the twists is out there is reason not to do it

i dont think KotOR 2 works as well though...mainly because the last quarter is a mess and barely/doesnt make sense (i had to read a walkthough to work out what had happened)....but you could take the seed and reshape it...there is a lot more mystical stuff though so....

edit: the more i think about it, it even has a pretty natural 3 movie arc with the twist at the end of the second film (homage to ESB)...add too that some bouncing around the galaxy so plenty of opportunity for variety of spectacular cinematography
Kotor 2 was rushed by the publisher and you can tell where. The gog version has the "complete" version sort of bolted on. Personally, I think you can tell it's not all there, but it's better than the original released ending. I quite liked how they went into the nature of the force and how it's not what many probably think.

Kotor 2 was rushed by the publisher and you can tell where. The gog version has the "complete" version sort of bolted on. Personally, I think you can tell it's not all there, but it's better than the released ending.
yeah, i went down a rabbit hole after finishing because i really thought id missed something, the game had glitched or i had a corrupt game...is a bit mad

I think if you made KOTOR, then you don't worry about the reveal being a surprise, but try to get the audience to invest in the characters so that when the reveal happens it is very emotional. I never felt like the game made it a huge surprise anyway, there were so many clues. I think if they did produce a series on it then I'd support a modest rewrite to make it workable as I don't think it is in it's current form. For example, the MC dreams where the next location is every time you arrive at a new planet. But it's a limited choice of planets that are all plot relevant. I'd edit that so that while there are still dreams and visions, there is also some kind of plot reason to go there too. Tbh, I also feel like 5 planets and then the hidden planet is too much for one story to make them all relevant. I'd scrap Tatooine and Manaan as I don't feel they are particularly relevant. Korriban should also be changed a bit.

You know though what I'd really like. I'd love it if they filmed a light version and a dark version of the films and released them both. Try and recreate the choices the player had.

I think if you made KOTOR, then you don't worry about the reveal being a surprise, but try to get the audience to invest in the characters so that when the reveal happens it is very emotional. I never felt like the game made it a huge surprise anyway, there were so many clues. I think if they did produce a series on it then I'd support a modest rewrite to make it workable as I don't think it is in it's current form. For example, the MC dreams where the next location is every time you arrive at a new planet. But it's a limited choice of planets that are all plot relevant. I'd edit that so that while there are still dreams and visions, there is also some kind of plot reason to go there too. Tbh, I also feel like 5 planets and then the hidden planet is too much for one story to make them all relevant. I'd scrap Tatooine and Manaan as I don't feel they are particularly relevant. Korriban should also be changed a bit.

You know though what I'd really like. I'd love it if they filmed a light version and a dark version of the films and released them both. Try and recreate the choices the player had.
i think they tried to make it emotional, theres a cut scene where the camera is just rotating around Revan like this huge moment of revelation...but yeah, they make it clear "something" is going on so not a huge leap

i was thinking about it after i posted and i think

Movie 1: opening through to arriving on Dantooine with the big climax being the escape from Taris and the epilogue being the discussion with the jedi council and agreeing a plan going forward. so most of the film is on a city planet, make it all blade runner esk

Movie 2: finding 2 of the 3 star maps, galaxy trotting indiana jones type treasure hunt, they went to 3-4 planets in rogue one so think we can get 3-4 easy enough. climax is the reveal as Revan and Bastila being captured (thought dead)

Movie 3: wrap it all up, maybe make it uncertain if the lead will turn to the dark side (its disney so in the back of your mind you know they wont), find the last star map with the crew all shaken after losing Bastila and learning theyve been rolling with a former dark lord and then bastila returns and the big battle

i like the idea of one story but different types of movies, i know lots of us were hoping for the second sequel to be a bit of "hunt for luke" follow the star map so more of a direct flow on rather than what we got

maybe the biggest hurdle is what too name and what traits to give the main character seeing as we got to name them so everyone has there own idea of who the character was

#notmyrevan

Last edited:
Love Lies Bleeding
The Fall Guy - Music from Kiss, AC/DC, The Darkness and Taylor Swift so they clearly looked up my playlists.

Latest posts