• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The IRB is no more...

What on earth is with the new logo?! Nothing about it says anything close to "rugby" like the last one - if anything it looks like the logo for some cheap hotel.

I like the new logo. It will take time to get used, but I like it. At least they kept the same color scheme.

What on earth is with the new logo?! Nothing about it says anything close to "rugby" like the last one - if anything it looks like the logo for some cheap hotel.

A little like the wood stain advert Cuprinol "it's exactly what it says on the tin", "World Rugby", could it be plainer NO could it be simpler NO. nothing wrong in my eyes. IRB did not give a World or Global sense to the organisation this does!!!!! and i dont think it will change because some of you dont like it.

A little like the wood stain advert Cuprinol "it's exactly what it says on the tin", "World Rugby", could it be plainer NO could it be simpler NO. nothing wrong in my eyes. IRB did not give a World or Global sense to the organisation this does!!!!! and i dont think it will change because some of you dont like it.

Didnt not say it would change because I don't like it - just saying that if someone not familiar with the brand saw it (I.e. Pretty well everyone right now) you'd think it was the logo of some cheap hotel. It's just a very poor looking logo.

That is some Microsoft paint, congregation of unpopular shapes looking logo.
Pretty much... It just has a very cheap looking feel to it doesn't it? Whoever the graphic design company was, you can be sure it was a second or even third tier company and they didn't shell out much for it.

Cant wait for the World Rugby Rugby world cup next year!

Didnt not say it would change because I don't like it - just saying that if someone not familiar with the brand saw it (I.e. Pretty well everyone right now) you'd think it was the logo of some cheap hotel. It's just a very poor looking logo.

difficult to understand where you are coming from!!!! IRB to anyone not in the know could mean absolutely anything International rabbit, rodents retailers etc. Board for someone who knew nothing aboout IRB...... but WORLD RUGBY would not give me any insentives to book a room at low cost at this establishment, but maybe think this has something to do with World Rugby as I SAID PREVIOUS......... "IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN"

difficult to understand where you are coming from!!!! IRB to anyone not in the know could mean absolutely anything International rabbit, rodents retailers etc. Board for someone who knew nothing aboout IRB...... but WORLD RUGBY would not give me any insentives to book a room at low cost at this establishment, but maybe think this has something to do with World Rugby as I SAID PREVIOUS......... "IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN"

You're talking about the name and I'm talking about the logo and that's obviously why you're having trouble. The IRB as an acronym is a little non descript like FIFA, but the LOGO accompanying it is basically a rugby ball, so it's pretty clear in terms of messaging and branding.

but this LOGO isn't - it doesn't look like anything you'd associate with rugby; it just looks like a million other very cheap, tacky and generic logos. They've tried to do something simple and clean in the style of the NRL, but unlike the NRL they haven't managed to make the LOGO associate with the brand it's supposed to represent and instead have something that looks like it belongs on the business card of a cheap hotel.

"World Rugby" is no more self-explanatory than "International Rugby Board", if anything, it's even less clear that it is the primary governing body of the sport.
Saying people don't know what "IRB" means unless they know that it means "International Rugby Board" is no different to saying people wouldn't know what "WR" means.
Clearly - unless you know what is being abbreviated you aren't going to know what the acronym refers to.

The logo does look like a placeholder that would be used in an unlicensed video game that needed to represent the IRB!

The logo does look like a placeholder that would be used in an unlicensed video game that needed to represent the IRB!

This. That perfectly sums up how it looks - very much a cheap knock off place holder logo for an unlicensed product.

i think its ok and leave it at that,!!!! looks like a rugby ball with a little imagination, IRB could be anything as i said previously but the new logo is "World Rugby" and not "WR" this is where i think the difference is!!!!!!! not going to argue just for the sake of it i like it full stop.!!!

You mean like on the IRB logo where it says "International Rugby Board"? :D

810px-International_Rugby_Board_logo.svg.png

if I saw that logo on my facebook feed I'd think the new Team 17 Worms was coming out. It looks like an Amiga game logo from the early 90's. It's not a whole lot shiittier than the previous one, but it's still pretty fecal. Obviously it's a shame, I'm sure I wouldn't done an interesting job at it with my avant-gardiste eye on artistic concepts and visuals.

As for the name it's been discussed before. I do seriously reckon they look exactly like this over there:

2014-07-25-theofficeboringmeeting.jpg

- so you guys wanna...*sigh* guys wanna order some ice cream sundaes from KFC or..... - naahh, let's change tha...the name of teh I are bee... - yeah ?...sweeet...hey, hey Jeff..Jeff wake up. Jeh-ehhhff...

I've a plausible theory as to why they changed the name (assuming a reason hasn't already been given, on this very thread in fact........look I'm sorry I barely scanned through the article, fk you). IRB sounds very close to 'I army' phonetically and so in this day and age where everything needs to be peaches and plums and sugar coated teenage vaginas, they opted to change the name in fear someone would accuse them of semantic belligerence and supposed subliminal violence. Yes they randomly awoke to this realization one day and speaking of subliminal, I've an overwhelming urge to eat some vanilla icecream now.

Here's another theory, @Big Ewis - in the USofA (where rugby hopes to gain a strong foothold) we already have an 'IRB' - Institutional review board. It's a generic term for "a committee that has been formally designated to approve, monitor, and review biomedical and behavioral research involving humans."

So maybe they decided the old name could be confusing in the US...though personally I've never heard of 'institutional review boards' until just googling 'IRB' the other day...

das

Here's another theory, @Big Ewis - in the USofA (where rugby hopes to gain a strong foothold) we already have an 'IRB' - Institutional review board. It's a generic term for "a committee that has been formally designated to approve, monitor, and review biomedical and behavioral research involving humans."

So maybe they decided the old name could be confusing in the US...though personally I've never heard of 'institutional review boards' until just googling 'IRB' the other day...

das
have you now got the borat infection ? ;)

das

...nahh, that's far-fetched as hell...
rolleyes.gif

AND STOP SCRATCHING YOURSELF, GODDAMN IT, DON'T YOU KNOW THIS FORUM HAS RULES !!! HEYY !!! STOP THAT !!!!

...nahh, that's far-fetched as hell...
rolleyes.gif

AND STOP SCRATCHING YOURSELF, GODDAMN IT, DON'T YOU KNOW THIS FORUM HAS RULES !!!

*scritch-scritch-scritch*

I think I have fleas...

*scritch-scritch*

Here's a thought...perhaps because they're pushing this global initiative, maybe it's easier to translate 'World Rugby' into many languages than it is to translate the whole "IRB' name.

*scritch-scritch*

das

Latest posts