• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The IRB is no more...

It's safe to assume everything (except the new name) is placeholder. Everything that I could've said about the logo has already been said by everyone else.

Going back to the guy who was talking about the website being design far too much for the handheld side of things; I sort of have to agree. There isn't really any reason for the Match Centre to be crammed into the side of the page. It could easily have been put in as another drop down menu or in the Quick Links. In fact, had I not known about the name change; I probably would've thought that it was one of those Sports News Apps, except exclusive for rugby.

I'll probably keep to ESPN Scrum for anything I need to look at.

Why do you think it is a placeholder?

They've been planning this for a while.

They've been planning the organisation itself; and on ways to get Rugby spread Worldwide . I wouldn't be so sure whether there was much thought into how it looks visually (despite what they said in the article) or presentation. Realistically, there's two options about the logo it's either.

(-A-) - A Placeholder (which is what I'm thinking)
or
(-B-) - Just extremely underwhelming (which is also very possible, but I'd hope it's only a placeholder)

Last edited:
You're talking about the name and I'm talking about the logo and that's obviously why you're having trouble. The IRB as an acronym is a little non descript like FIFA, but the LOGO accompanying it is basically a rugby ball, so it's pretty clear in terms of messaging and branding.

but this LOGO isn't - it doesn't look like anything you'd associate with rugby; it just looks like a million other very cheap, tacky and generic logos. They've tried to do something simple and clean in the style of the NRL, but unlike the NRL they haven't managed to make the LOGO associate with the brand it's supposed to represent and instead have something that looks like it belongs on the business card of a cheap hotel.

Completely agree. I guess the IRB (or whatever the shiyte it is) are trying to modernize themselves, reinvent themselves perhaps? There must be business reasoning behind it. Our Telecommunications company here in NZ did the same thing recently. But the logo, well yeah. Just looks like random shapes to me, nothing clever about it. As for the name, 'IRB' seemed more snappy and easily conveyed than this.

I would be keen on these changes if it also meant giving a strong voice to nations who aren't traditionally at the big-boys table. Continuing development of sides that aren't so strong. Funding initiatives, rugby academies, scholarships etc.

Last edited:
The new name is ok I guess...but damn the logo is horrible. Is it supposed to be a cup or 3/4 of a rugby ball?

From a branding perspective, i think it's good. I like the name :)

Latest posts