• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Central Cheetahs Thread

Have the Cheetahs not taken stock of fit happened to Juan Smith, ie rushing a player from injury?

Hoping Brussuouw doesn't follow suit

Have the Cheetahs not taken stock of fit happened to Juan Smith, ie rushing a player from injury?

Hoping Brussuouw doesn't follow suit

Yeah, I had a weird moment of yay and hmmm at the same time when I read the news myself. At least Brussow's injury has been monitored over a helluva long time now and he has had the benefit of a couple of VC games but the problem is the intensity of VC and a high octane S15 derbie just don't compare. Personally I hope he comes off for Floors in the 2nd half just to be on the safe side. Him and du Preez are probably the two players I'd miss most should they not make it to the RWC. (after that Bissy, Jannie, Jaque and *unfortunately already out in all probability* Juan - the rest all have quality back-up)

Very good so far, 'Tahs have been a wee bit cocky imo, but the Cheetahs line-out is operating very well whilst the men in blue are suffering
Cheetahs scrum also operating, but not dominating

'Mon the Cheetahs!
Snyman scores a long range try after brilliant work from Riaan Viljoen and Sarel Pretorius
16-3!

Brussouw has just been subbed, boy has he been amazing this morning/tonight!

Sarel Pretorious scores a try!

If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted the Cheetahs to win, I don't think I could have stomached such a game of rugby

Cheetahs win 23-3, their first ever win overseas!

Last edited:
Bloody hell!
3 - 23? 'Tahs have looked like (one of) the team(s) to beat this tournament as well

23-3 to the Cheetahs, and a famous day for them, their first ever win in Australia.

Has to be said though, the Waratahs were absolutely dreadful, booed off the park by their fans.

I cannot believe...! Awesome!

I heard the Aussie commentators had some snide comments (Hah) about Ebersohn's kicking style?

I cannot believe...! Awesome!

I heard the Aussie commentators had some snide comments (Hah) about Ebersohn's kicking style?

I know they were talking about the string he uses on his kicking tee, can't remember anything that could be considered 'snide', especially considering that what we may consider as 'snide', is generally how their commentators speak about other players!

Hope Andries Strauss's injury isn't hectic, they have already had 6 different captains this season because of injuries!

Which win was a bigger upset? Cheetahs in Sydney or the Highlanders in Pretoria?

Which win was a bigger upset? Cheetahs in Sydney or the Highlanders in Pretoria?

Good question , normally I would say Highlanders at Loftus but the place seemed to have lost its aura , looked more like Newlands with all the WP fans this past weekend than Loftus !! So I would say Cheetahs victory ranked higher given the opposition and the scoreline.

http://www.sarugby.com/2011/03/21/cheetahs-fly-in-reinforcements/

Cheetahs get their 5th captain for the season with centre and current captain Adries Strauss injured. Barry Geel and Wilmaure Louw flown in to cover. Lock Wilhelm Steenkamp to take over the captaincy.

Sheesh, the Cheetahs has lost a lot of leadership these last few weeks; Nico Breedt (Currie cup captain) retired, Juan Smith injured, Adriaan Strauss injured, Naas Olivier benched, Andires Strauss injured. Not to mention those players who jumped ship to the Sharks. Lets hope Steenkamp can hold out for more than 2 matches..

At 12, I'd love to see Louw get the nod to cover the no. 12 jersey; great distribution and very dedicated in defense. Not the worst athlete around as well. A bit inexperienced maybe. He is also another kicking option/play maker. Not as robust/abbrasive as the injured Strauss though. Maybe Hennie Daniller at 12 is an option with Riaan viljoen having looked impressive at 15 against the 'Tahs if you want that physical presence.

Players who jumped ship to the Sharks? It's only Bosman who moved to Durban right? And fair enough, they got Andries Strauss in return

Players who jumped ship to the Sharks? It's only Bosman who moved to Durban right? And fair enough, they got Andries Strauss in return

Technically, yes but I count Mapoe (who initially went to the Sharks) and Potgieter (although he made a long detour at the Bulls LOL) as well. Although Mapoe wouldn't be considered a senior player/leader.

Well, when you take a look at what the other teams have that comes from the Cheetahs, they could have an amazing team. We have discussed this earlier of course but Jannie and Bismarck du Plessis, Duane Vermeulen, Bjorn Basson and lots of others started out in Bloem

Dinnae forget that Morne Steyn and Ruan Pienaar were a Grey College half-back pairing...

Francois Steyn, Willem Alberts, Louis Ludik, Anton van Zyl, Conrad Jantjes and Jaque Fourie all played for the Lions if I'm correct. I think it's safe to say the Cheetahs and Lions seperate, don't have enough to offer to players to stay compared to the period when they were the Cats

Francois Steyn, Willem Alberts, Louis Ludik, Anton van Zyl, Conrad Jantjes and Jaque Fourie all played for the Lions if I'm correct. I think it's safe to say the Cheetahs and Lions seperate, don't have enough to offer to players to stay compared to the period when they were the Cats

Well, the logistics were a huge problem and still would be. That and the fact that both teams would want representation of course. If they could sort it out and make space for the Kings in the process they could be a very competitive team; Cheetahs forwards with Lions backs could be deadly.

But, yeah, most 'high profile' players want to play for the 'big' 3 SA teams. Lions are looking like they are going to through money at it to remedy the situation and SA has the players to make the Lions competitive without costing other SA teams if they target overseas based players: Ruan Pienaar, Butch James, Frans Steyn, Joe Pietersen, Schalk Brits, Joe van Niekerk, Ernst Joubert, Marco Wentzel etc etc.

Latest posts