• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Central Cheetahs Thread

Tried to read up and it doesn't say anywhere. Possibly he did punch a wall in frustration LOL.

Cheetahs are light-years ahead in this game
Only poor discipline (mainly being offside at knock-ons) has kept the Bulls in this game

HT: Cheetahs 11-8 Bulls

Cheetahs 23-8 Bulls

This is magic, the Cheetahs are playing with all the confidence in the world, and the Bulls have shat their pants!
And they have done it all without Juan Smith!

Last edited:
Thought Cheetahs had that in the bag then!
What a come back by the Bulls, all credit to them

Damn, hard luck at the end with that fumble.

Hope the Cheetahs can keep this intensity up (and against non-SA teams). They have thrown away this game in large part due to a lack of leadership IMO; Smith, Brussow, Strauss injured and Breedt retired.

Damn, hard luck at the end with that fumble.

Hope the Cheetahs can keep this intensity up (and against non-SA teams). They have thrown away this game in large part due to a lack of leadership IMO; Smith, Brussow, Strauss injured and Breedt retired.

Yep i agree with the game being thrown away due to lack of leadership, and they seemed to have run out of players ... they didn't look the same after their no.12 went off

... I don't agree with your sentiment about playing the non-south african teams, unless you are referring to Australian teams only :D

Is Heinrich Brussow ever going to play again? :(
Yes he his, he played today before the Cheetahs - Bulls game for the Free State Cheetahs against the Valke in the Vodacom Cup competition.He only played for the 1st 40mins and didn't seem too rusty...I think with Juan Smith's injury today(still don't know how bad it is), Brussow might be selected for the Cheetahs SuperRugby team to face the Stormers next week IMO.

World cup & SuperRugby blow for Juan Smith

The Cheetahs have revealed that their inspirational captain Juan Smith will miss the next six to nine months due to injury.

Smith missed his team's 2011 season opening match against the Sharks last weekend but played for just two minutes in their second round match against the Bulls before going off injured.

Tests have now revealed the Smith tore an an Achilles tendon which rules him out of the rest of this year's Super Rugby season and almost certainly the Rugby world cup.

Smith is expected to undergo surgery early next week and only when that is done will it be known the extenct of the damage and the amount of time he will be out can be determined.

Adding further woe for the Cheetahs Smith's is that Smith's fellow flanking team-mate Frans Viljoen has torn tore his hamstring and also faces a lengthy spell out of Super rugby.

More to follow.
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29058

That is a big blow for Cheetahs and Springbok rugby!Hopefully Brussow has recovered well enough to play SuperRugby for the Cheetahs next week.

Ouch!
With my England hat on I'm happy, but with my Rugby fan on i'm not,
He's a brilliant player, was SAs standout player in the AIs (apart from possibly Willem Alberts :p ), big fan of him

He must be devastated

Gotta feel for the Cheetahs, but more so Juan Smith
I wonder what the nature of his ankle injury (that kept him out of the Sharks match) was, if it had something to do with his achilles
Well then I bet Naka Drostke and the team doctor feel like real pr!cks the now

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo NOOOOOOoooooooooo!!

He is probably the only of the 'experienced' Bokke who pitched up to play for the 3N and AI matches in 2010. A HUGE loss in a WC year. He was the standout flank in 2007 and was in great form.

Who will replace him.. At the Cheetahs obviously Frans Viljoen. For the Springboks.. Burger could play at 7 with Brussow at 6 but I would prefer one of the younger guys who played for the emerging Sprinboks in 2009 against the B&I Lions or Alberts; Potgieter/Deysel/Vermeulen/Alberts depending on who shows the best super rugby form.

This must be the worst news any SA rugby supporter have heard, can’t believe the injury will keep him out of the WC. I rather hope he has a speedy recovery to return and make SA proud on the world stage.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
On the other note good job by the cheetahs they played great rugby.<O:p</O:p

JOHANN THORMÃ"HLEN
Bloemfontein - Juan Smith het 'n goeie buitekans om vanjaar aan die Wêreldbeker-rugbytoernooi in Nieu-Seeland deel te neem.
Dié Springbok-flank is gister aan sy een hakskeen geopereer nadat hy Vrydagaand in die Toyota Cheetahs se Vodacom Super Rugby-wedstryd teen die Bulls sy hakskeensening gedeeltelik geskeur het.
Die Toyota Cheetahs se kaptein behoort oor sowat ses maande, in Augustus, weer te kan speel.
Die Wêreldbeker-toernooi se openingswedstryd is op 9 September en die Bokke pak Wallis op 11 September in hul eerste wedstryd.
Daar is aanvanklik gemeen Smith se haksening is heeltemal geskeur en dat hy beslis dié skouspel sou misloop.
Al was gister se nuus beter as verwag, sal Smith steeds in 'n wedloop teen tyd gewikkel wees om die sperdatum vir die kies van die Bokke se Wêreldbeker-groep te haal.
Die operasie het volgens Ian Morris, die spandokter van die Toyota Cheetahs, goed verloop en sake lyk bemoedigend vir die Bok.
"Ons beplan om hom vir die Wêreldbeker reg te hê. Daar is beslis 'n kans dat hy betyds kan herstel.
"As alles vlot verloop, is ses maande nie 'n onbillike hersteltyd nie.
"Hy sal in Augustus kan speel en die Wêreldbeker begin in September," sê Morris, wat met die operasie gehelp het.
Smith sal vir die volgende twee maande glad nie kan oefen nie en daarna met rehabilitasie begin.
Indien daar geen verdere komplikasies is nie, sal Smith in Augustus reg wees vir aksie.
Smith se besering so vroeg in die Vodacom Superreeks is eintlik 'n bedekte seën vir die Bokke.
Indien dit enigsins later gebeur het, sou hy beslis nie in die Wêreldbeker-toernooi kon speel nie.

Hope they can make this happen and get Juan Smith fit for the cup as soon as possible.

Put him in an oxygen tank for 5 months.

LOL that could help,I would really like to see him back on the field during at the World Cup.
At least i know there is some hope for Juan according to their site.

Stormers vs Cheetahs

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29124

Stormers:
15. Conrad Jantjes,14. Danie Poolman,13. Juan De Jongh,12. Jean De Villiers (C),11. Bryan Habana,10. Peter Grant,9. Ricky Januarie,8. Duane Vermuelen,7. Francois Louw,6. Pieter Louw,5. Andries Bekker,4. Rynhardt Elstadt,3. Brok Harris,2. Deon Fourie,1. CJ van Der Linde
Reserves:16. Siyabonga Ntubeni,17. Frans Malherbe,18. De Kock Steenkamp,19. Nick Koster,20. Dewaldt Duvenage,21. Gary Van Aswegen,22. Paul Bosch

Cheetahs:
Cheetahs: 1. Coenie Oosthuizen, 2. Ryno Barnes, 3. WP Nel, 4. Waltie Vermeulen, 5. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 6. Kabamba Floors, 7. Francois Uys, 8. Ashley Johnson, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 10. Naas Olivier (c),11. Ryno Benjamin, 12. Andries Strauss, 13. Robert Ebersohn, 14 Philip Snyman, Hennie Daniller.
Replacements: Skipper Badenhorst, Kobus Calldo, Martin Muller, Philip van der Walt, Tewis de Bruyn, Sias Ebersohn, Riaan Viljoen

Well, with Liebenberg, van Zyl and Burger injured our forwards look as good as they can be. Cheetahs also missing forward personel. In the bak we are going to miss Jaque Fourie (another key injury along with Aplon) but luckily de Jongh is classy as well (would prefer JdJ and Fourie with JdV on the bench though) while grant takes his rightful place but Januarie.. I can't understand why he still starts!?!?!

Cheetahs alo battling with injuries (Strauss, Brussow, Smith, Viljoen, Nokwe) but they pushed the Bulls and will be looking to do the same at Newlands. Their backrow is a pacey one but at Newlands, with slightly heavier surface, I feel our defense will pull us through.

Wow I really came close in predicting the score out by one point.

Cheetahs team announced to face the Lions

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=29245

1. C Oosthuizen , 2. R Barenes , 3. WP Nel , 4. M Muller , 5. W Steenkamp (VC) , 6. H Brussouw , 7. P van der Walt , 8. A Johnson , 9. S Pretorius , 10. S Ebersohn , 11. R Benjamin , 12. A Strauss (C) , 13. R Ebersohn , 14. P Snyman , 15. R Viljoen
16. S Badenhorst , 17. K Calldo , 18. L Floors , 19. F Uys , 20. T de Bruyn , 21. N Olivier , 22. F Juries

Brussow is back with Viljoen another injury in the backrow. I am very glad to see his name in a matchday 22 again but straight to the starting XV in a derby against a pacey Lions side? I have a bad feeling about this but hope I'm wrong.

The other 2 notable changes are Sias Ebersohn and flash-in-the-pan-Bok Riaan Viljoen (such potential! I'm glad he is getting his chances as him and Ludik are guys that could potentially step up to test rugby IMO) coming in at 10 and 15, which means the Cheetahs have their 4th captain in 3 games with Olivier dropping to the bench. I think this is a great move as they will be looking to run the ball with Ebersohn and Viljoen where Olivier and Daniller have the big boots but that would've played into the Lions' hands with quick through ins and attacking space from deep with their dangerous back three. Still think the Lions will win this if only because of greater continuity from less injuries.

Latest posts